VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Visiting Princeton

Author:
Sprint66
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 21:25:41 11/08/21 Mon
In reply to: Yale OL 's message, "Visiting Princeton" on 12:43:17 11/08/21 Mon

Beautiful campus! When I was in college I had a high school buddy who went to Princeton and the visits were always fun. I remember he and his roommate had this huge suite with their own rooms in this old building. Plus Princeton has the best stadium in the Ivy League. I am amazed more of their alumni and students don't attend more home games as it's one of the best stadiums in college football. Obviously that stadium must be a significant recruiting advantage for the Tiger coaches.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Re: Visiting Princeton

Author:
West Coast Crimson
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:30:40 11/09/21 Tue

I was about to say how silly P's stadium looks, but since I've only seen it on TV, I went online to look at some photos and, yes, it is a nice stadium.

I guess the thing I don't like is how they continued the high "callback" arches around the entire stadium. It's like the old stadium is trolling the new stadium.

Stanford had a very similar situation: an old mammoth bowl stadium that they replaced with a double-decked rectangular-sided configuration. They also have callback arches referencing the old design, but it's just a couple. I think it's a nicer balance of gesturing to the past without letting the past overshadow the present.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: Re: Visiting Princeton

Author:
ivy guy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:55:41 11/09/21 Tue

As a visitor, Princeton Stadium is very well designed and new (not sure if Columbia is newer).

The design was intended to reflect the old Powers field it replaced.

Bathrooms and concessions are great.
Parking needs some work.
Campus and the local community are beautiful.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Visiting Princeton

Author:
West Coast Crimson
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:05:23 11/09/21 Tue

I have no doubt the facilities are top notch.

I'd be curious to hear from the Princeton old timers: do you prefer the new stadium, or would you give up the amenities to have the old stadium back?

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Visiting Princeton

Author:
Moonbear
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:11:53 11/09/21 Tue

Only in the Ivy League can we refer to a stadium built nearly 25 years ago as "new" and still be accurate!

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Visiting Princeton

Author:
West Coast Crimson
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:00:13 11/09/21 Tue

I think of myself as a recent alum, but the late 90s are no longer recent. Ick.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Visiting Princeton

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:31:40 11/09/21 Tue

"New" Mary Hitchcock Hospital was built six years before "new" Princeton Stadium.

:)

Author:
joiseyfan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:20:31 11/09/21 Tue

Academic question, no pun intended. The first-generation rebar in the steel-reinforced concrete was defective, and Palmer was unsalvageable in any sense.

But the new stadium is a gargantuan improvement for the community and the game day fans. The only eternal debate remains whether it should have been placed where it is, or across the lake, where the “Lake Campus” is just about to begin construction 25 years later.

Author:
Tiger69
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:50:07 11/09/21 Tue

I am an old timer who grew up in Princeton and started attending games in the old Palmer Stadium as early as 1953. I loved Palmer Stadium with its tall arches and green hair (Ivy). But even through my undergraduate years we had crowds in excess of 40,000 a couple of times each year. I don’t think I would want to see a game there today with a crowd <10,000 in a stadium that held 47,000.

Author:
Tad
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:12:51 11/09/21 Tue

I still long for Palmer. Something about sitting in the same stadium where Norte Dame and other greats played. New stadium is very nice and the removal f the track improves viewing. Regarding parking… I was very surprised to see field parking eliminated. Spoke to some of the personnel and was told that they would only use the field as a last resort and that the “neighbors” were not happy about the field use. Also, used to be that if you got there early you could use the parking lot abutting Jadwin. Now it’s permit/University ID only.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Visiting Princeton

Author:
joiseyfan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:12:42 11/09/21 Tue

WCC—

The two are on very different scales, Stanford’s 50k vs. Princeton’s 30k. Being set into the hillside also lessens the impact of the Princeton bulk.

Princeton Stadium is integrated into the campus paths from academic areas and the student center to Jadwin and DeNunzio pool, and the wall building is the exterior of the covered walkways that are open 24/7. Stanford is up against a freeway on the edge of campus. They function very differently outside of game day.

What I find most curious is ignoring the major feature of Stanford, the SW elevation facing campus behind the expanded pressbox, which is utterly hideous. What was that? Any stone facing would be preferable.

The stands of both are similar, very effective for great sight lines, but the exteriors have nothing in common. As you note, their similarity is in the OLD stadia which no longer serve, when Princeton’s was also at the edge of campus.

Author:
Know-it-all
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:42:32 11/09/21 Tue

I miss Brokaw Field.

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.