VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Brown at Columbia

Author:
Old Lion (Agreed)
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 15:15:25 11/15/21 Mon
In reply to: Roar Lion 's message, "Re: Brown at Columbia" on 13:34:04 11/15/21 Mon

Our program was basically in receivership when Al came in. Al’s first class had only 21 plus 3 transfers. Upperclassmen had left the program in droves. I think one can argue that his resurrection of the program has been one of the most profound coaching jobs in the long history of college football. And he is not finished. He has found his quarterback, the missing piece for a truly outstanding team.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> Subject: Profound Coaching Challenges in College Football

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:02:56 11/15/21 Mon

Old Lion, I think that you can tell from my posts over the past few years that I am a huge fan of the improvement Bagnoli has made at Columbia. The good news is that I think the progress will continue. The bad news is that, if it doesn't, as I explained earlier in this thread, then this is the ceiling for the foreseeable future, given what else is going on in the League.

While I think Al is doing great given the circumstances, I would take issue with calling the task at Columbia one of the most profound coaching challenges in the long history of college football.

I've posted many times over the years about coaches whom I admire such as Tom Osborne and Bill Snyder. Those guys faced institutional, geographic and financial challenges that even the most struggling Ivy program does not. The AI puts everybody in the Ivies on a kind of, sort of, somewhat level playing field. There just aren't that many smart kids who can play Division I sports.

Nebraska and Kansas State are 500 miles away from any natural source of high school talent. They are trying to recruit essentially professional athletes to leave sunshine and warmth and girls for none of the above.

Al's big challenge is no history of winning at Columbia and HYP financial aid. Plus, you know, that damned subway ride up to Baker Field.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Profound Coaching Challenges in College Football

Author:
T2
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:44:34 11/15/21 Mon

And Al Bagnoli knows that we're really not that different from big horn rams smashing their heads against each other on the mountain side.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Profound Coaching Challenges in College Football

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:54:19 11/15/21 Mon

It’s the only way to win football games. Go, Al, and good luck to all the Rams out there.

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.