VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: H-Y 1976

Author:
voy vey
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 22:48:09 11/15/21 Mon
In reply to: bulldog10jw 's message, "Re: H-Y 1976" on 20:00:26 11/15/21 Mon

Should be easy to tell - Phillips #16 = righty, Rizzo #19 = lefty. (Not that Yale threw very often.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul5Wbw1YAco

I've watched about 10 minutes of it so far, and Phillips is still in. In fact, he threw for Harvard's only touchdown of the game, in the 1st quarter (pick six). Impressive that Yale shut out the H offense.

The Harvard multiflex was the first time I had ever seen a no RB set, that I can recall. Interesting that they ran the ball quite frequently from that formation (wing in motion, or designed QB keepers). IIRC, in one of the Games at the Bowl in the '70s, they put the QB in motion and temporarily had no one behind center, eventually snapping to a RB. Fun stuff.

Update: The Yale drive that starts at the 12 1/2 minute mark of that video is when Rizzo enters the game.

Interesting that the caption refers to it as "The Ice Bowl." The high that day was 43 degrees. Two years prior, the high was 39 for the Milt Holt debacle. Granted, it had snowed the Wednesday before the '76 Game. I not-fondly remember sitting in the shaded, closed end of the Stadium, where some snow was still in attendance.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> Subject: Re: H-Y 1976

Author:
L et V
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:24:29 11/16/21 Tue

Harvard traditionally leaves the visitor's icy.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: H-Y 1976

Author:
old blue
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:24:45 11/16/21 Tue

Gentlemen; For the record mr.phillips started the game as the signal caller but was knocked cold and replaced by mr. rizzo who performed admirably along with the hard nose running of mr. pagliaro.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: H-Y 1976 innovative influence

Author:
Ivy Inquisitor (I love Ivy FB)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:48:47 11/18/21 Thu

I highly recommend any football fan to YouTube Harvard- Yale 1976. The first 3 minutes features Harvard using the Red Gun(no Running Backs) and Yale running the tripe option Flex Bone. Emory Ballard the creator of the Wishbone is credited for creating the Flex Bone in 1979 (at the time he referred it as Wing Bone). During the 90’s Steve Spurrier is reverend a as creating the 5 WR/ no RB Red Gun( he referred it as Fun ‘n’ Gun). It’s phenomenal how the Ivy continues to shape this sport years after the “deemphasis “ of football!

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.