VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Ivy Offensive Player of the Year

Author:
Hanover Plain
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 13:06:15 11/17/21 Wed

Do we just hand the PoY trophy to EJ Perry? He may be seen by some as the best QB in the league ever, but is he even the best QB in the league this year?

A case has to at least be made for Derek Kyler. With one game left (so this could change somewhat), Kyler has a QB Efficiency Rating of 159.4 versus 135.8 for Perry (only fourth best in the league). Touchdown to INT ratio is 22 to 14 for Perry and 14 to 1 for Kyler. Completion percentage at 70.2% for Kyler and 65.7% for Perry.

Granted, Perry has to do a lot more for Brown (maybe everything) and his total passing yards are 1,000 more than Kyler. Clearly, there is more on his shoulders.

But there should at least be a debate. And Cole Smith should be in the mix as well.

And, as long as we are mixing it up, is QB Nick Howard at least honorable Mention All-Ivy RB with over 700 yards rushing to date? :)

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Ivy Offensive Player of the Year

Author:
Two Cents
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:18:10 11/17/21 Wed

Tough call. I think it may depend on the D-B game this weekend and how each qb plays. I do think if you asked Ivy coaches to be objective, and ask if they could choose any qb in the league to be their starting qb, every one might pick Perry. I would say that Perry is the best player in the league. But if you just look at stats and league games this year, a good case can be made for Kyler being offensive POY. But again, will depend on how they play this weekend.

No offense to Princeton fans, but I don’t think Cole Smith should even be in the discussion. I watched both the Harvard and Dartmouth games vs Princeton.

Greene from Columbia should be Rookie of the Year.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: Ivy Offensive Player of the Year

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:25:40 11/18/21 Thu

Dartmouth fans argued (accurately in my opinion) that Dalyn Williams got hosed because every Ivy coach would pick him as their starter if you hooked them up to a lie-detector test.

I think everyone agrees at least that Perry will be one of the two Bushnell finalists. The interesting question is who is the other. If its Kyler (and I think it should be), then the Ivy will have no choice but to make both of them First Team All Ivy. And Perry shouldn't complain, because that's exactly what happened to him in 2019.

I certainly won't protest if Perry gets the Bushnell. I will say that Dartmouth's two-quarterback system will make it difficult for Dartmouth QBs to get post-season honors. But I'm not sure what we can do about it (except keep on winning games).

Author:
Diogenes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:31:18 11/17/21 Wed

Kyler did a great job behind the best offensive line in the Ivies.

Perry did a great job behind the worst offensive line in the Ivies.

Bart Starr became a Hall of Famer behind the best line in the NFL.

As with Starr, Kyler can't be faulted for playing behind a terrific line.

Two Cents is correct that Perry would start for every Ivy team.

"Time to Vote" the voters prejudices!

Author:
Roar Lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:55:10 11/17/21 Wed

FWIW, Bagnoli said after the Brown game that in his opinion Perry is the best player in the league. So I imagine he's got one PoY vote. CU actually played very well vs. Perry, Smith and Kyler, and the D was beaten up by Grooms and Emge. So hard to know based on watching an opponent game or two as a fan who is the best, but I will be surprised if Perry does not win PoY.

Author:
Old Lion (Perry)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:07:36 11/17/21 Wed

Put Perry on any team with a winning record and that team would probably have gone undefeated (that’s five of the eight Ivy teams). Green is easily offensive rookie of the year.

Author:
Anonymous
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:57:51 11/17/21 Wed

As a Dartmouth fan, Kyler is a terrific football player and a really great success story for someone not as highly recruited as Perry. But given what he has been able to achieve in a rebuilding program, Perry is an absolute "warrior". It is unbelievable that he is still standing at this point in the season. Last season's Dartmouth-Brown game was well played by both teams and incredibly exciting. Thanks to both QB's it came down to the last snap. If Perry is up against his own defense on that last play, Perry wins......watch the available game highlights of the whole game.....judge for yourself.

Author:
ivy guy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:02:05 11/17/21 Wed

EJ Perry was runner-up in 2019 to Kurt Rawlings.
Both Qbs had great seasons.
Kurt's POY was well earned.
EJ is the player of the year in 2021 , for his leadership, tenacity, athletic gifts, and performance.
As in every year, there are several great candidates in the league. EJ would be the best choice.

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:30:54 11/18/21 Thu

Kyler may not have had the offers that Perry did. But he did have offers from Air Force, Colgate (when they were a power) and Columbia.

That's not nothing.

Author:
M3
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:46:42 11/17/21 Wed

Who was the most exciting offensive player to watch this year in IL football?

Perry.

Hands down.

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:50:43 11/18/21 Thu

Same was true for Williams in 2015.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Ivy Offensive Player of the Year

Author:
Old Lion (Interesting footnote)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:41:58 11/18/21 Thu

Interesting trivia- Kyler had his worst game against Columbia; and Williams in 2015 also had his worst game against Columbia; And both games were at Dartmouth.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Ha! You're right!

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:36:25 11/18/21 Thu

I didn't notice that but you are correct!

Both guys played fine against the Lions earlier in their respective careers, though.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Ha! You're right!

Author:
Old Lion (Williams)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:03:13 11/18/21 Thu

As I recall the 2015 game it was Al’s first season and Williams never got untracked; he was sacked a few times and hit with two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties. Dartmouth won by a score in a very low scoring game.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Great recall, O.L.; & no complaints about 159 yards in flags that day against the HOME school/team!

Author:
Valmas (Stirred)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:23:58 11/18/21 Thu

https://www.espn.co.uk/college-football/recap?gameId=400799611

[> Subject: how about D POY

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:34:19 11/18/21 Thu

my vote is for D's Jalen Mackie

[> [> Subject: Re: how about D POY

Author:
jerrylh
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:46:17 11/18/21 Thu

Over Jeremiah Tyler??

[> [> [> Subject: yep

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:22:20 11/18/21 Thu

stat sheet
https://ivyleague.com/stats.aspx?path=football&year=2021

[> [> [> Subject: Re: how about D POY

Author:
Two Cents
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:23:36 11/18/21 Thu

I think the 2 finalists for Defensive POY should be Jalen Mackie and Jeremiah Tyler. Mackie has 86 tackles compared to Tyler with 55. I would give the nod to Mackie based on how each played in the D-P game, as well as vs Harvard (arguably the 3 best offenses in the league). Mackie had 13 tackles vs Princeton and 11 tackles vs Harvard. Tyler had 4 tackles vs Dartmouth and 12 vs Harvard. Both great players.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: how about D POY

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:30:43 11/18/21 Thu

Clay Patterson should be in the discussion as well. He's among the FCS leaders for sacks.

My gut is that the finalists will be Mackie and Tyler. But still one more game to play.

Author:
jerrylh
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:17:58 11/18/21 Thu

With all due respect, you can't use those numbers to compare. If you have been watching Princeton, Tyler drops back into pass coverage in almost all passing situations except for a rare blitz. This is going to decrease his number of tackles. He is one of the reason's that sans Brown's Perry, Princeton's pass defense has been excellent.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: I have no doubt you're correct, but...

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:23:50 11/19/21 Fri

... that sounds pretty similar to the argument that Derek Kyler can make as well. Dartmouth's system doesn't allow him to put up big numbers either.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: I have no doubt you're correct, but...

Author:
Hanover Plain
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:04:51 11/19/21 Fri

I think we can pretty much settle this argument by saying that the “Dartmouth QB position” (Kyler passing and Howard running) is PoY.

😀

Author:
Old Lion (Mackie)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:36:17 11/18/21 Thu

Mackie is a fine player but Hollingsworth did carry him for 5 yards into the end zone for a TD. One of the greatest displays of strength by a runner getting the better of a LB that I have seen in years.

Author:
Old Lion (Thor)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:12:05 11/18/21 Thu

Most feared DL in the league-reminds me of Warren Sapp; I am hardly a Harvard booster but Thor is only a freshman and could not be blocked one on one.

Author:
Lurker
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:52:38 11/18/21 Thu

Agree. Clearly the most fbs-quality player i saw all year. IL interior offensive linemen better be working out hard next 3 offseasons!

Author:
2-cents worth
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:10:50 11/19/21 Fri

Harvard's 2-deep online suggests they will have 7 of their 8 defensive Front Four returning in 2022.

Author:
Lurker
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:36:56 11/19/21 Fri

Their entire 2deep is littered with fr and so

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:50:32 11/19/21 Fri

it's not the D that worries me it is the return of the top three RB's and 2 QB's. They will IMHO be the favorite next yr but too early for that. We will have all winter and spring to speculate.

Tmrow is going to be interesting, weather a bit nippy but for the league's sake I would love to see the bowl close to capacity, at least 50k plus

Author:
Tiger81
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:40:33 11/23/21 Tue

Tyler and Mackie were both named as one of 25 finalists for the Buck Buchanan award.

https://theanalyst.com/na/2021/11/stats-perform-announces-25-fcs-finalists-for-2021-buck-buchanan-award/

Author:
Greenhorn
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:49:20 11/20/21 Sat

Kyler looked every bit the POTY today. Lots of great downfield throws. Some terrific runs too.

Finishes with 17 TDs and ONE Int. And a completion percentage of 71%? Those are video game numbers.

Oh, and his team won the title convincingly.

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.