VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Yes, but...

Author:
Go Green
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 21:01:59 11/20/21 Sat
In reply to: Bengal 's message, "Surace" on 20:55:54 11/20/21 Sat

Kudos on the title, and Quinn Epperly's opinion notwithstanding, 9-1 is an EXCELLENT season.

But you can't help but wonder if Princeton underachieved this season. Everyone (myself included) thought Princeton would blow away everyone this season. While they did beat eight teams handily, they won one game on an extremely controversial finish, and got manhandled in the other.

You have to wonder if Surace is a victim of his own success...

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Re: Yes, but...

Author:
Bengal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:31:44 11/20/21 Sat

No, he did not underperform at 9-1 and a shared title. "Everyone" thought Princeton would blow away all opponents? With respect, where do you come up with these utterly overblown mischaracterizations?? While several things might be said in response, I will just note that half of the voters in the pre-season Media poll picked another team to finish first. Six picked Yale, one voted for DC, and one voted for Columbia.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: Please...

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:38:08 11/20/21 Sat

Everyone on this Board (including me) said that Princeton was going to blow everyone away.

I certainly don't remember you saying anything to push back on that.

[> [> [> [> Subject: There you go again....

Author:
Bengal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:01:55 11/20/21 Sat

Then you certainly have a faulty memory (do better research, it isn't difficult), in addition to now rewriting what you originally said. Now, its not "Everyone (myself included) thought Princeton would blow away everyone this season," which is what you wrote. Its now everyone "on this board" predicted blah blah blah. The media poll refutes your the overblown statement you originally made. I'll leave you to do further research on who said what on this board.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Just did a search, and...

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:10:23 11/20/21 Sat

I stand by what I said.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Hopefully...

Author:
Bengal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:18:20 11/20/21 Sat

...you do better with legal research. And no, I am not doing the research for you. And no, I will not be further engaging on your overblown post.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Please...

Author:
jerrylh
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:05:14 11/20/21 Sat

Princeton had a slew of all-ivy types and an experienced and talented offensive line. However, they couldn't open holes for Eaddy and had difficulty in preventing quarterback sacks. While it is true that they tied for the league championship, they were not as good as I expected.
One thing for sure, Princeton, won't be one of the favorites next year.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: You're an honest man

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:17:26 11/20/21 Sat

Again, Princeton has nothing to apologize for. They had an excellent season. They will get rings.

But my recollection is that people thought this Princeton team would comparable favorably (if not surpass) the 2018 team. However, they just weren't quite that good.

Again, they're the champions. That they won't go down as one of the all-time best Ivy teams is no shame whatsoever.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: You're an honest man

Author:
Joe Friday
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:03:56 11/20/21 Sat

I honestly don’t know how any program can even look in the mirror and call itself a champion - let alone order championship rings and or trumpet it on Twitter or whatever - when they lost to the team that they share the championship with? How does any program maintain self-respect doing that? I don’t get it.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: You're an honest man

Author:
West Coast Crimson
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:09:50 11/20/21 Sat

Lol. You'd be amazed what motivated reasoning can do...

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:08:56 11/21/21 Sun

I honestly don’t know how any program can even look in the mirror and call itself a champion - let alone order championship rings and or trumpet it on Twitter or whatever - when they lost to a second division team? How does any program maintain self-respect doing that? I don’t get it.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: What does that have to do with anything?

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:10:59 11/21/21 Sun

I mean, you do know that Columbia finished tied for fourth place, right?

Or are there more than two divisions in the Ivy League in your mind?

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: What does that have to do with anything?

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:37:23 11/21/21 Sun

You do know what parody is, right? And quality parody, at that.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Parody at least has some basis in reality

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:50:28 11/21/21 Sun

If the situation that Calvin is parodying exists, it wasn't in the Ivy 2021 football season.

Is he talking about some other year? Some other conference? Both?

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: What does that have to do with anything?

Author:
Old Lion (Columbia)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:02:40 11/21/21 Sun

Second division? Columbia had a very good team which finished 7-3, 4-3 in the league, and had one bad game (Harvard, coming on the heels of a Yale game in which we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory). And Columbia had some excellent rookies (Canty, Green, Libman on offense for example).

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Indeed

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:11:05 11/21/21 Sun

As is often the case, I have no idea what Calvin is talking about.

Indeed, I don't even know why I waste my time asking him for clarification... oh well.

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:15:22 11/21/21 Sun

And if you apply the metric some Dartmouth people (you, perhaps) want, since they lost to Harvard, they do deserve to be considered Harvard's inferior.

Do you ever think before you knee jerk critique?

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: I give up...

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:21:26 11/21/21 Sun

I have no idea what you're getting at.

And I'm not going to attempt to find out.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: What does that have to do with anything?

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:23:02 11/21/21 Sun

And I am not even bringing up the fact that Dartmouth's loss was at home, on a big national broadcast.

Of course I mean to refer to Yale instead of Harvard, but point is the same.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: You should quit while you're behind

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:10:29 11/22/21 Mon

First you say that Columbia was a second division team. Not correct.

Then you say that they lost to Harvard, which was accurate, but a complete non-sequitur.

Tell you what-why don't you explain to us why 2012 Penn should be considered Ivy Champions even thought they lost to last-place Yale that year. And square that with your theory that 2021 Dartmouth should not be Ivy Champions because we lost to fourth-place Columbia.

Is it because 2012 Penn lost to Yale in New Haven and the game was not on TV?

Is that what you're saying?

Author:
MFK
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:32:09 11/22/21 Mon

As I said in a previous post, when you beat the team you tied with, it means you lost to a lesser team. How does that make you more worthy of a championship? It appears as though you're trying to say the game you lost doesn't count. They all count and the teams ended up tied.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Please...

Author:
Joe Friday
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:58:06 11/20/21 Sat

Agree - A LOT was made of the many (17?…I don’t know) 2020 seniors who took a year off, trained together remotely in preparation for the 2021 season…all of which was really cool to read about. The result is that expectations went way up for that team, and the reality is that they did not perform to those expectations while Dartmouth exceeded expectations. Part of Princeton’s failure was not doing more to control those expectations. The program reveled in the perception that they were the feared program for 2021….there’s a lesson in there somewhere. Princeton had a very good season. Dartmouth had a better season, totally dominated Princeton in their contest and therefore Dartmouth is the true champion among those who see things for what they truly are - regardless of the IL lack of tiebreaker idiocy - just as they were in 2019. There’s no getting around it, and there’s always next year.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Please...

Author:
Tiger69
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:37:54 11/22/21 Mon

GG: Sounds like sour grapes for having to share the Title. But, the Tigers weren’t the only winner to have a bad day (C 19- D 0). Two great, and well-coached teams SHARED the Title.

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.