VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Bet You Didn’t Know

Author:
Washington Lion (Grateful)
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 17:41:34 11/22/21 Mon
In reply to: Two Cents 's message, "Bet You Didn’t Know" on 10:51:57 11/22/21 Mon

Great list, Mr. Cents.
Columbia’s record in the two years before Bagnoli arrived: 0-20, 0-14
Columbia’s record in Bagnoli’s third through sixth seasons: 24-16, 14-14
That includes three winning seasons after going 20 years without, wins over every team, three wins over Penn (a team they hadn’t beaten in 20 years), three Empire State Bowls and a 2-2 split with Dartmouth, the best team during that stretch.
Picked in the preseason media poll this year to finish seventh, the Lions were competitive in nine of their 10 games this year and won seven, including against Dartmouth, Brown and Cornell, all picked higher.
It’s been the best stretch for the Lions since they joined the league – and, after decades of futility, a joy to watch. The goal is to field a championship contender every year. They haven’t done that yet, but they’re closer than ever, by far. The program is moving in the right direction.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Re: Bet You Didn’t Know

Author:
Old Lion (COY)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:37:14 11/23/21 Tue

Al deserves COY; tremendous coaching job; masterpiece at Hanover; unique in not having Spring ball; and development of excellent staff.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: COY?

Author:
Bengal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:59:36 11/23/21 Tue

Old Lion, I think you are judging COY based on Columbia's performance this year compared to its performance in previous years. You know I have expressed highest regard for Bagnoli. But I think you need to compare its performance this year versus other coach's performance this year. That usually should mean that the League champion's coach merits that award. I think Teevens is the most worthy, followed closely by Surace.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: COY?

Author:
Old Lion (Perhaps)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:29:30 11/23/21 Tue

You may be right, of course, but the implication of what you are saying is that the COY designation should automatically go to whoever wins the league. And if there is a tie, perhaps then there might be some subjective analysis which would determine the winner. I respectfully disagree; to me the coach of the year means who actually did the best coaching job. Meeting expectations versus exceeding expectations is the issue. We were picked for the bottom of the league; Dartmouth and Princeton were picked for the top. Teevens and Surace, both of whom are fine coaches, met expectations. Bagnoli exceeded them. Of course I recognize that my view here is not unbiased.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: COY?

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:44:29 11/23/21 Tue

This is why I am not a fan of the Ivy League even naming a coach of the year. 95% of the time, it is simply the coach of the champion team. There's nothing wrong with that and, in most seasons in most sports, there's really no other reasonable choice.

Then in 5% of the cases, a reasonable argument can be made for somebody like Bagnoli, who did more with less. But COY is not defined. Is it for the guy who did more with less, or is it for the guy who did the most, regardless of whether he had more or less?

So you've probably got different people voting with different criteria in mind. And I assume for the time being that, as with the POY and ROY awards, it's actually the coaches themselves who are voting for COY. That just seems stupid. Eight guys voting amongst themselves for the guy who did the best job?

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: COY?

Author:
Bengal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:52:57 11/23/21 Tue

Good point and I agree with you. If Bagnoli had gone from 1-9 2 years ago to 7-3 now maybe he should get it. This year, not so much. We'll see what the voters think.

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.