VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: The Way Forward for Bruno

Author:
Bears83
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 15:57:03 11/23/21 Tue

Another disappointing end of year result in the standings for the Brown Bears of East Providence.

In a year filled with hope with the best Ivy League player in recent memory at the helm, a slew of 5th year seniors, a bolstered support for athletics from within, and the Perry staff with some time and recruiting classes under its belt, Bruno outdid themselves. I do not recall ever seeing a more polarizing team with regards to the dichotomy between the offense and defense in the history of football (maybe even in organized athletics). The offense had a league leading 446 yds/game while the defense remained in the basement of the Ancient Eight allowing 448 yds/game. Nearly NINE HUNDRED YARDS of offense per game on average in games involving the PVD Bruins.

When Coach Perry brought Tim Weaver onto the staff, I had some questions but remained faithful in the mastermind of Coach Perry. While Weaver absolutely had his work cut out for him in the shambles left behind by the end of the Estes Era, the defense has found nearly incomprehensible new lows. Whether this is a result of on-field talent, Coach Perry's tendency towards an offense-first strategy, or Coach Weaver's scheme is irrelevant - a change needs to be made before a domino effect causes the whole program get blown up again circa 2018/19.

Another 2-8 season under the Perry regime will hinder the ability for the staff to market themselves to recruits as the new, forward-thinking coaching staff of the league, which will, in turn, lead to more 2-8 seasons. While the offense under Coach Perry is spectacular, notches in the win column are all that matters.

I shutter thinking about the post-EJ Perry era in the Renaissance City, but I believe that an offense under Coach Perry will always be able to prosper. A new DC and an increased focus on recruiting defensive talent is the way forward for Brown football.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: The Way Forward for Bruno

Author:
Acob (Grin he’ll read it)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:30:44 11/23/21 Tue

83 makes blunt, plain assessments. No one can dispute the record that leaving foundation for negative assumption. It’s important to look further..
Grin, a devoted Brown athletic observer does so, concluding Brown lacks
Sufficient competitive personnel, and irrevocably, conclusively cannot compete in Ivy football. Grin misses though as usual he swings hard.
Brown is the offense leader of the Ivy League. A fact-check of the record sustains this. Brown loses its brilliant QB and a quality Tackle. Otherwise the gangs all here again augmented by a highly talented QB inJake Wilcox.
James needs to asses his defense as though he was playing against it.
The same fact check applied to offense will disclose emergency surgery and a commendable dose of fresh drugs is demanded. Some might credibly contend wholesale changes of the teaching faculty must occur. One thing is clear, the cub rod is not void. Multiple freshmen played crucial roles and return knowing this is not High School they are playing. Better advised, their experience and learning suggest a ready cadre. There is already committed numerous reinforcements of size and proven skill.
There is then ample promise. The question is not necessarily who, but how.
Grin has suffered a thousand cuts in following multiple sports.Ever a well intended, sometimes deadly accurate evaluator, he is too hard too soon in this one. James has not been at this task long enough. That does not obviate the necessity to create a credible defense. Brown will be as good if not better on offense.ifJames does not produce equivalence on defense, he will not be either grinning or bearing. He has a duty and is in the third year of a contract which is implicit in demanding not effort but success.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: The Way Forward for Bruno

Author:
Bengal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:51:30 11/23/21 Tue

Always good to hear from the poet of the board, Acobber. Happy holidays.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: The Way Forward for Bruno

Author:
Acob (Cheers Bengali)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:52:00 11/24/21 Wed

And nice work tigers.

[> Subject: Re: The Way Forward for Bruno

Author:
Moonbear
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:33:15 11/24/21 Wed

Bob Surace went 2-18 in his first two seasons at Princeton. James Perry is already twice as good! ;)

Perry's road to success on Elmgrove Avenue is quite simple, IMO: his offenses will almost certainly be good each year. If he can conjure a defense that's even average and can get off the field a handful of times per game, he'll win plenty of games and maybe even a title. It remains to be seen if he can accomplish the second feat. Determining what exactly needs to change is beyond my pay grade, but I believe the coaching staff will take action this offseason to attempt to correct course. How could they not?

Author:
Lurker
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:23:57 11/24/21 Wed

There were a few plays against col where the intended receiver was so wide open it seemed col was playing with 10. Hoping coaches are studying those concepts and will install in the spring. Imatation being the highest form of flattery

Author:
Bengal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:33:58 11/24/21 Wed

Success starts with recruiting: coaches' identification of players who will improve the program and convincing them their school is the place to go, cooperation from Admissions in timely evaluations and favorable responses, being able to match aid if that is a factor.

I figured Estes was on the way out, and knew it, when he was quoted as saying, "I am a good coach with good players" or something close to it. I wondered then how about 100 guys on campus would take that remark. But the more important issue is, is Brown getting those good players? Of course, how they are coached and how coaches design and call games is also crucial, but that won't matter enough if the recruiting factor is a minus.

[> [> Subject: Interesting Stat

Author:
Brown Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:24:47 11/24/21 Wed

In Ivy play, Brown's defense allowed the opposing offense to score on 50 of 96 possessions by my count. If we take out the short possessions at the end of the first half and the "kill the clock" possessions at the end of the game, the figure probably is closer to 50 of 85 possessions or close to 60% of the time. It's hard to win games that way no matter how good the offense is.

I'm confident Perry will turn this around, but the defensive collapse this year was stunning.

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.