VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Thanksgiving

Author:
Grin and Bear it
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 09:00:46 11/25/21 Thu

As I get older, I realize how fortunate I am. I assume the same is true for everyone who participates on this board. To indulge in this kind of repartee when there are so many others out there whose lives are unimaginably more difficult is food for thought this Thanksgiving.

Wishing all of you a Happy and Peaceful Thanksgiving.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Thanksgiving

Author:
M3
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:14:52 11/25/21 Thu

Well said.

Many things to be thankful for

One is the thoughtful and entertaining commentary/analysis on
Ivy League Sports Board

Happy Thanksgiving

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

Author:
Dr. V
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:43:00 11/25/21 Thu

You, good sir from Brown, are absolutely right!

Happy and safe Thanksgiving.

Author:
joiseyfan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:56:39 11/25/21 Thu

and perhaps some thanks from us all to the astonishing athletes and coaches who have presevered through so much over the last two years, just so we can dissect all of them.

A blessing on them and their dedicated families too.

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:26:22 11/25/21 Thu

I second the sentiments of Grin and Bear It.

Not a happy Thanksgiving for our man Holtsie. Connecticut #3 New Canaan defeats #1 Darien, spoiling the latter's perfect record. Two high-flying offenses clash and the result is a defensive rock fight, to use Joisey's terminology.

12-7. Felt so much like Princeton-Dartmouth 2018, including the safety.

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:49:50 11/25/21 Thu

watched on you tube, hopefully the rematch will be in the Class LL state championship game although I am not sure brackets are out yet

Cheers to you Bengal and everyone else here today enjoy the Holiday, spend time with family (I am in ATL at my son's house). Politics aside be thankful we are still a great country

[> [> Subject: Re: Thanksgiving Winston Would Be Grateful

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:05:03 11/25/21 Thu

Unfortunately, any rematch likely to be in Class LL semifinals.

Unofficially, New Canaan seeded #2, Darien #3. Top seed expected to go to Fairfield Prep, for now. Official seeding to be released tomorrow morning.

Cheers to you as well, Holtsie. Enjoy the warmth in ATL as we finally turn cold up here. There have been moments in the recent past when I fear for the greatness of our country, but then I remember to paraphrase Churchill, "American democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others."

Author:
Acob (Churchill also)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:52:17 11/26/21 Fri

It is easier to anger Americans than to cower them.

[> [> Subject: Looking forward to these Ct. Football playoffs

Author:
Ivy wanna be
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:01:51 11/26/21 Fri

[> Subject: Churchill Was Adamantly Against Isolationism

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:59:59 11/26/21 Fri

Acob, that is an interesting sentiment. I certainly agree with it to a significant degree, although I believe that America's occasional isolationism reflects to a degree being cowered at a low level. For some foreign policy issues, being cowered at a low level and apathy manifest themselves identically. Think of how long it took us to get involved in WWI and WWII, not to mention how easy it was for the prior administration to advocate isolationism.

Both Wilson and Roosevelt wanted America to get involved in the European war earlier, but knew that public support was not there. That's why some suspect FDR possessed intel that an attack from Japan was looming, but remained quiet about it.

Is the quote in your post your language? I can't find it attributed to Churchill or anybody else. Certainly, Churchill said something to the effect that, "America always does the right thing, after exhausting every other option." A backhanded compliment, but true. Isolationism does not work, in 1914, 1940 or 2016 because, whether you want conflict, if you ignore it long enough, eventually the conflict comes to you.

Holtsie, confirming Class LL seeds:

#1 Fairfield Prep hosting #8 Greenwich
#2 New Canaan hosting #7 Southington
#3 Darien hosting #6 Hamden

[> Subject: Turkey Bowl Part Deux, For Holtsie

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:32:15 12/01/21 Wed

For the fifth time since 1999, New Canaan and Darien will meet twice in a year, following up their Thanksgiving game with a Connecticut playoff reprise.

1999: NC thanksgiving, D state
2008: NC thanksgiving, NC state
2013: D thanksgiving, NC state
2014: D thanksgiving, NC state

This year's opportunity for Holtsie to achieve playoff redemption will take place this Sunday at 12:30.

[> [> Subject: Re: Turkey Bowl Part Deux, For Holtsie

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:37:15 12/02/21 Thu

New weekly rankings out from GameTime Connecticut, whose voters include most of the high school sports writers around the state. Combined poll of all four football classes: S, M, L, LL.

#1 New Canaan (LL)
#2 Darien (LL)
#3 St. Joseph's (L)
#4 Fairfield Prep (LL)

This Sunday's game will be the fifth time in seven seasons (no play in 2020) that New Canaan and Darien will meet as the top two teams in Connecticut.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Turkey Bowl Part Deux, For Holtsie

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:39:38 12/02/21 Thu

Fun fact:

In 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016, New Canaan entered the Thanksgiving Turkey Bowl undefeated and lost.

In 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2021, Darien entered the Thanksgiving Turkey Bowl undefeated and lost.

That's eight straight seasons that the undefeated season has been spoiled by the underdog. 2017 of course was the special occasion when the New Canaan police department arrested two Darien star players on literally the eve of the game for misdeeds occuring two weeks earlier. Don't talk to me about rivalries until the Ann Arbor police start arresting Ohio State players in their hotel rooms the night before The Game.

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.