VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: San Francisco

Author:
Roar Lion
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 20:47:24 11/27/21 Sat
In reply to: Valmas 's message, "AND the Dons return there next Saturday night (Dec. 4), to play UNLV!" on 22:09:42 11/26/21 Fri

I think a lot of Columbia fans will have USF as their other team this season. Stefanini was terrific for us. Tape could have been.

I have been critical of our current coach and I think it will be a rough year, but to his credit he's got a good young core. They are better than I expected.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: But their overall end of season record, sad to say, will be even less than what you expected!

Author:
Valmas (Serendipitous)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:40:54 11/27/21 Sat

After last night's two point win over Alabama-Birmingham, the University of San Francisco completed their month of November undefeated,at 8-0. They play again at Nevada Las Vegas, one week from tonight, versus UNLV.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: CU Lions

Author:
Roar Lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:19:33 11/27/21 Sat

FWIW, Going in to the season, my expectations were super low. Maybe five wins, with 1 or 2 Ivy wins. I now think they may do better than that. So no, Michael, I doubt they will underperform my low expectations. They may do a fair amount better. The young core is talented.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Roar: I know you're right about the talent base; hope you're right about the wins potential.

Author:
Valmas (Sizzling)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:26:03 11/27/21 Sat

Liam Murphy and Geronimo delaRosa are as outstanding a pair of freshmen basketball players as we've seen on Morningside Heights since the days of Alton Byrd and Ricky Free (circa, 1975). That said, my sense is that the men's Ivy League conference is very strong this year, from top to bottom. Whatever school wins first prize -probably, Harvard- will make some serious noise as part of March Madness; and the runnerup school may do the same in the NIT. The Columbia men will have a lot of trouble winning one league contest. We'll certainly know a little bit more about them, following the Lions' Monday night home matchup versus Lafayette; but I'll go on record now to note that if Columbia doesn't beat Cornell at Levien, they'll finish 0-14 in the conference. Of course, I've been quite wrong before- I was the dummy who thought Ty Lenhardt should've been the starting quarterback for this year's football team; and that the fellow who beat Tyler out for the starting spot would fare as well as a QB as the last Californian imported to play the position. Just for you, Roar, I hope I'm that wrong, here, as well.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Roar: I know you're right about the talent base; hope you're right about the wins potential.

Author:
Ghost of 1968
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:12:25 11/28/21 Sun

Mr. Valmas, you have some legit points here, but please. The Lions have a legit point guard prospect and a possible front line player in Murphy, but to put these two, after 5 games in a class with two of the all time greats is utterly ridiculous. Ricky Free was a first team All PSAL player at Boys HS, Alton Byrd a dynamic guard from California. This reeks of Columbia false hope, as usual. Look at the depth of this roster. Luke Bolster, for all his energy and leadership, wouldn't see the court for any of the Top 5 or 6 teams in the league. The other role players have yet to show they'll be contributors. You won't learn much from a game against Lafayette, you learn over a 12 game, non-league span, then you face a lot of good coaches in the league. When they start to take away a player's strengths, then you see how players hit the second gear to bring something else to the table. You're looking at possibly a 6th place finish, at best.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Ghost: great points, and you're actually MORE of an optimist than I am!

Author:
Valmas (Sizzling)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:30:30 11/29/21 Mon

Ghost:
Best stuff you've written; and I hope you're right about about a sixth place finish, because I'm looking at 0-14 and eighth- don't know how you recognize me as a promulgator of false hope?

And I loved Ricky Free (a PSAL product like, myself) and Alton Byrd. However, in 1975, when Byrd and Free were College freshmen, both were consigned to a full season of freshman basketball. Liam Murphy and Geronimo delaRosa have already played seven full VARSITY games; including one against an Atlantic Coast Conference opponent. And delaRosa's, conservatively speaking, eight inches taller than Byrd was- just about as fast, and a better outside shooter, finisher at the rim and defender; while Murphy's ready, right now, to show the Ivy League why he was all New York Catholic High School League in 2020.

I also happen to think tonight's Lafayette game will serve as a measuring stick of sorts. If you expect to beat any of your Ivy opponents this season, at least at home; you'd better be able to beat Lafayette, at Levien, in late November!

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Roar: I know you're right about the talent base; hope you're right about the wins potential.

Author:
Old Lion (Some talent)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:05:09 11/29/21 Mon

Nweke is critical; we must have him back for the IL season; but apart from him the impression I have is that a number of the younger players have potential and that there are some good athletes on the team. But I don’t think that they have gelled as a team- I see very little defensive cohesiveness and a complete absence of rebounding smarts (no blocking out, no positioning) and not much sideline in game coaching.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Roar: I know you're right about the talent base; hope you're right about the wins potential.

Author:
Ghost of 1968
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:24:18 11/29/21 Mon

Lafayette did beat Rutgers but has lost to everyone else, bottom tier Patriot team, tonight is no indication of future success. And I guarantee you Ricky Free and Alton Byrd had better offers than this (from Murphy's recruiting profile- including Cornell, Siena, Jacksonville, Stetson, Binghamton, Manhattan and American). How about we let these kids try and develop before we anoint them as "the next........"? This would be a little more impressive (note the OFFERS) when gauging future success
https://247sports.com/player/justice-ajogbor-46048940/

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Ghost: If you're going to use quotation marks, then read what I wrote.

Author:
Valmas (Sizzling)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:32:29 11/29/21 Mon

I'll tell you, Ghost, Lafayette can't be half bad if they beat a Steve Pikiel-coached Rutgers team that played post season basketball last spring; on the road, no less.

Be mindful, too, that I wrote delaRosa and Murphy may be the best pair of first year players at Columbia in quite some time. Can you name a better PAIR of first years, in recent memory? While you're at it, I'd appreciate your take on why your alma mater stopped recruiting the PSAL.

And by the way, you're absolutely right- Ricky Free could've gone anywhere; could have gone to Virginia to play with Ralph Sampson. But Byrd had to really look up to you, Old Lion and Chet Forte- so he went where you went!

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Ghost: If you're going to use quotation marks, then read what I wrote.

Author:
Ghost of 1968
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:48:23 11/29/21 Mon

Obviously, you don't know much about the rest of the college basketball world if you think this year's Rutgers team is anything close to last year's team. Why try to compare these two kids to two Columbia greats after 5 games? "May be......" invites comparisons. How about Grant Mullins/Maodo Lo as first years? Those two turned out to be great Columbia players over time but they earned their greatness over time, and were not compared to any other duo thirty years before them. If these two get ANYWHERE close to those two I'd be shocked but it would be good for Columbia.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Good names, Ghost, but where were they as freshman?

Author:
Valmas (Sizzling)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:18:44 11/29/21 Mon

Lo's obviously created a great body of work; and Grant performed well for your alma mater and at Cal. However, neither Maado nor Mullins was a full time starter as the start of their respective collegiate careers. Now what about the school you're truest to not recruiting the PSAL?

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Good names, Ghost, but where were they as freshman?

Author:
Ghost of 1968
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:44:13 11/29/21 Mon

That's correct, they were behind Brian Barbour and Steve Frankoski, Alex Rosenberg, etc. So maybe the lack of talent on this roster provides an opportunity. Your assessment of "may be....." is way too premature, considering one game was against a lowly D3 school. Who would Columbia recruit from the PSAL? The PSAL rarely produces Ivy League student-athletes in ANY sport.

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.