VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: OFFICIATING What is (.5) x (.5) x (.5) x (.5) x (.5) x . . . .

Author:
Jake
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 15:20:26 11/29/21 Mon
In reply to: An Observer 's message, "Re: OFFICIATING What is (.5) x (.5) x (.5) x (.5) x (.5) x . . . ." on 12:34:29 11/29/21 Mon

Oh, I can think of a LOT of games where my teams got the benefit of bad calls. A very good example is the 2015 Columbia game against Dartmouth (Dartmouth still won) where numerous personal foul penalties were called only on D when CU players likely instigated the penalties. In the Cornell game last week, some of the PI penalties against Cornell were bad calls. BUT in all of those games, I can also think of plenty of bad calls against my team. The bottom line is that there are so many bad calls to choose from! This year it really wasn't funny, because I thought some games were on the verge of becoming dangerous because of the bad calls. And I was not rooting for Harvard to beat Princeton when the refs blew it by either overturning the TD or not being aware of the very loud attempts by Surace to call time out. All in the all, the "your partisanship ruins any argument about bad officiating" just doesn't fly with me.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> Subject: Re: OFFICIATING What is (.5) x (.5) x (.5) x (.5) x (.5) x . . . .

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:47:11 11/29/21 Mon

Jake, I give you full credit for being one of the few fans who can watch a game with even a veneer of impartiality. You are the rare fan who can see through his or her own personal rooting interest.

But perhaps you have a bit more bias than you realize. You use the phrase "the refs blew it by . . . overturning the TD" in the Harvard-Princeton game. At this point in time, it's not at all clear that the refs "blew it" by relying on instant replay to overturn the two-point conversion.

Whether you might have some rooting interest in the H-P matter or not, would you or would you not agree that fans usually see close calls in the manner which -- oh, what a coincidence -- happens to benefit their own team?

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: OFFICIATING What is (.5) x (.5) x (.5) x (.5) x (.5) x . . . .

Author:
Jake (Novak)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:21:45 11/29/21 Mon

Of course they do, yes. But that's the thing about this season: The poor officiating clearly transcended partisan eyes on too many occasions to count. I am concerned players will get hurt if this continues, as rage over the most egregious calls, plus losing control of games leads to danger.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Fair and Balanced

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:19:16 11/30/21 Tue

Jake, one reason why your claims to impartiality ring true to me is because I have always been impressed by the "fair and balanced" commentary in your blog. Your work is a real contribution to Ivy League football fans from all eight schools, not just those in light blue.

Thanks for all you do to improve the experience and joy of being an Ivy fan, and please keep up your good work.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: AO: pay no homage-Fair comments are good; but knowing something about officiating, something else.

Author:
Valmas (Struggling)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:42:54 11/30/21 Tue

AO: Go back to what you wrote two months ago: people tend to believe what they want. If their President lost an election, and they so wish to believe it was a matter of fraud that caused it.....they'll be talking it up; gaslighting each and every day, 400 days after the fact, without offering to volunteer a shred of evidence to back their inane premise. But, as I suggested yesterday to the quintessential Columbia advocate, Old Lion, repeating a fictional account over and over again won't create non-fiction; just as you can't create a tasty chicken salad out of chicken s__t.

And as a venerable New England sports official, Paul "Frosty" Francis" explained it to me at a referee clinic held at Holy Cross College in July, 1987: Basketball is a contact sport; football is a COLLISION sport! If you don't want your kid getting hurt, keep him/her away from collision sports!

I wouldn't say someone's necessarily panzy assed if they've never stepped inside a football arena wearing cleats; or prepared to blow a whistle or ready to throw a flag. However, it's easy to pontificate about placing emphasis on not getting kids hurt. What's hard is for the typical referee second guesser to remain silent whenever the volume of penalties called surely rises, and sharply- if/when the official(s) ever offer undue consideration to the lamenters, crying chorus as illustrated herein.

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.