VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Wow - What happened to Harvard

Author:
PennLB
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 09:54:51 11/30/21 Tue
In reply to: Two Cents 's message, "Bet You Didn’t Know" on 10:51:57 11/22/21 Mon

"Columbia’s record in the two years before Bagnoli arrived: 0-20, 0-14
Columbia’s record in Bagnoli’s third through sixth seasons: 24-16, 14-14
That includes three winning seasons after going 20 years without, wins over every team, three wins over Penn (a team they hadn’t beaten in 20 years), three Empire State Bowls and a 2-2 split with Dartmouth, the best team during that stretch"

Thanks for that research - makes us miss AB that much more in West Philly.

What is equally shocking to Columbia's success (yes, I am well aware of Penn's fall from the rafters) but for Harvard to be in the bottom half of the league the last 4years is incredible.

Has there ever been a more blatant "do less with more" situation in college football? (Texas?)

I really think there are ties to losing valuable assistant Ryan Cranford. He was Harvards secondary coach and special teams coordinator and left 5 years ago. Since then all down hill. Not on defense so much, my impression is Harvard has remained salty on D and as long as they keep recruiting the best DL they will always be good on that side of ball.

Losing Cranford left a hole on special teams. Harvard use to win games with special teams and now it appears that those units are not just a non factor but helping to contribute to losses. I am not sure who is running Harvards Special Teams but it is hard not to notice the extreme drop off since Cranford left (I believe for a Power 5 position)

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Part of the problem...

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:25:16 11/30/21 Tue

During Harvard's glory days, you could pencil in Harvard's starting QB onto the All-Ivy team. It's been a while since Harvard has had the best QB in the league. Who was Harvard's best QB since its last title in 2015? Stewart? He was ok...

Whether that's a recruiting problem or a development problem, I do not know. Maybe Charlie Dean is the answer.
He looked pretty good before he got injured.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: Should also mention...

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:32:00 11/30/21 Tue

... that this also applies to Penn.

It's hard to finish in the upper division if you only have mediocre quarterback play.

[> [> Subject: Re: Wow - What happened to Harvard

Author:
Joe Friday
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:02:23 11/30/21 Tue

Doing less with more is the very definition of a development problem, and that goes directly to the coaching staff’s effectiveness in one or more aspects of the game. There is definitely a good straight-faced argument for AB for CoY given what’s he’s produced with what he had to work with, but you have to give it to BT given that he (has consistently, including in 2021) did more with less as has become the trend up there. If you look at the strength of the recruiting classes over the past five years - and granted there is some subjectivity there for sure within the recruiting service ratings - Dartmouth consistently has classes that are usually ranked in the bottom half of the League - comprised mostly of a bunch of zero-star kids…as opposed to Harvard which consistently ranks near or at the top and is comprised of two and three star kids - many of whom as we know wisely spurned the FBS offer for the Harvard degree - who then don’t perform up to expectations. Barring injury and or a confidence issue, that’s coaching first and last along with all of the little things that go along with that - culture, accountability, staff support, etc.

[> [> [> Subject: Speaking of which...

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:10:52 11/30/21 Tue

I'm surprised that nobody has committed to Dartmouth in a few weeks.

We've had guys visit campus. While the Columbia game was unfortunate, I can only presume the atmosphere was festive for the other games.

My recollection is that in the past we'd get a few commits during successful seasons. That didn't seem to be the case this year.

Hopefully some good guys will announce eventually.

Author:
Hanover Plain
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:05:57 11/30/21 Tue

We got our 10 ED guys, which compares favorably to the last few years.

We always take fewer commits early versus the rest of the league and more later.

This year, everyone’s numbers will be lower due to the new league limit of 27 annual football admissions slots and swollen rosters because of COVID.

Our campus is shutdown (no students) after Thanksgiving until January, so no official visits during that period.

I would say that we are right on track, unless Hanlon’s cuts of 20 athletics admissions slots impacts football.

Author:
Bandit
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:56:26 11/30/21 Tue

I think you mean Ryan Crawford, former Harvard db coach who is now at Wake Forest

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.