VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: The Last Word?

Author:
Two Cents
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 14:53:16 11/30/21 Tue
In reply to: Joe Friday 's message, "The Last Word?" on 11:07:42 11/30/21 Tue

Ok, I’ll bite and beat a dead horse for the last time. The NFL instituted replay in 1999. NCAA football instituted replay in 2006. Over the thousands of games that have been played since then, nobody can reference an instance when a referee went to replay to award a coach a timeout that he had been trying to call. Has never happened until the H-P game this year. That is why H players, coaches, alumni and fans are bitter about the outcome of that game.

Someone posted recently that in the UM-OSU game that Harbaugh was sprinting down the sideline by a referee trying to call timeout in the fourth quarter. And the referee either did not see him or ignored him. No replay review conducted to award Harbaugh a timeout. I don’t buy the argument of trying to parse the rule book technicalities either, to prove that Princeton has the “Last Word” on this issue.

I’ll hang up and listen now.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Re: The Last Word?

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:01:04 11/30/21 Tue

I know that I shouldn't wade into this morass but...

My problem with going to replay in these circumstances is that it's not difficult to imagine a scenario that's open to abuse. A coach can surreptitiously signal time out that is only visible to a replay camera. If the play results in a favorable result, he remains quiet. If the play results in an unfavorable result, he demands that replay be reviewed and lo and behold, there is the coach signaling time out.

It's a heads-I-win-tails-we-try-again situation.

Obviously, that wasn't the case with Surace, who, by all accounts, was moving heaven and earth trying to get the officials' attention. But I think good reasons exist why replay is generally not consulted to see if a time-out had been called.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: Re: The Last Word?

Author:
JH
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:10:33 11/30/21 Tue

Agreed. And Harvard did get hosed in that game. Would bet Murphy and the team feels they are the true co-champs w Dartmouth.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.