VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Grin dos Whittier stay

Author:
Acob
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 00:15:31 12/01/21 Wed

Grin old salt, you have been magic in which Coaches in what sports go or stay or should or should not.
What is your evaluation in Ivy Hockey in particular Browns Coach,
What Assistants do you foresee moving up somewhere or being discharged in any Ivy sport?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Grin dos Whittier stay

Author:
Brownie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:46:06 12/01/21 Wed

What about the women’s team.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: Grin dos Whittier stay

Author:
Acob
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:17:40 12/01/21 Wed

New Coach in first year.
No idea why predecessor left.

Author:
Moonbear
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:30:20 12/01/21 Wed

I'm not Grin, but I've followed the men's hockey program for decades: Whittet is a great guy and a wonderful ambassador for Brown, but he's had 12 seasons on College Hill and has just two .500 seasons to show for it. Things are not looking positive this season, either: after an okay start where Brown hung in with but ultimately lost to two of the best teams in the conference (Quinnipiac and Cornell), the Bears have gotten smoked in their past four games - including by the likes of Holy Cross, which is one of the worst teams in the country.

With all apologies to Brendan, he's in over his head, and has been for some time. Brown needs to find an up-and-coming innovative assistant looking for his first head coaching job and hope he sticks around for the better part of a decade to build a solid foundation for the program.

Author:
Acob (This weekend)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:03:28 12/05/21 Sun

Brown j men’s hockey shuts out Harvard and a Dartmouth 2-0 and 4-0.
Freshman Goal Keeprt.

Author:
Grin and Bear it
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:11:27 12/01/21 Wed

No magic, just common sense. With that said, I would have fired Whittet about five years ago. The other day I was checking his record, and he has won about 33% of his games and in the IL the % is below 30. How does that justify being retained? What is really interesting about Whittet is that he is not a bad recruiter. Many of his players go on to play professional hockey. But for some reason, he just doesn't get it done as a coach. Brown is usually the worst team in the league defending the power play and the least successful when on the PP. This is strictly coaching. If a coach can't get this basic element of the game down after 5 seasons, then what justification is there to think things will change? I had the same sick feeling watching Laughlin's soccer teams these last few years, totally disorganized. One other thing, Providence College continually turns out excellent hockey teams, what are they doing that we are not? Might the coach have something to do with it? I don't really think there are any other coaches on the hot seat. Many of them are realtively new in their careers at Brown and will need more time to be judged fairly. One very important caveat: There are some coaches, particularly at a school like Brown, who never get the opportunity to succeed. For example, Jill Reeve, the recently fired field hockey coach, may have been a victim of non support. When this happens, the coach is a sitting duck. Remember what happened to Buddy Teevens when D decided to change its admissions standards. He was a good coach whose hands were tied. This may have been the case with Ms Reeve, but I don't follow FH so I can't say. But I do know that many a good coach met his/her untimely end at Brown due to lack of support.

Author:
Ever True
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:08:24 12/05/21 Sun

Signs of life from Meehan - back to back wins over #17 Harvard and Dartmouth. Buoyed largely by the play of first-year goalie Mathieu Caron, who stopped all 62 of the shots that came his way this weekend.

Hard to read too much into this though - I feel like Whittet gets one or two very good weekends each season, which look even better compared to the mediocrity (or worse) of the rest of the season.

Author:
ivy guy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:49:41 12/05/21 Sun

before this weekend Bears Hockey looked really bad.

Not sure if they had some good skaters unavailable.

Author:
Moonbear
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:14:49 12/05/21 Sun

The Bears were missing several key players for different stretches over the past month (namely captain Tristan Crozier). I don’t think it fully excuses the consecutive poor performances, but it’s clear that they’re at least a much more competitive team when at or near full health. I’m cautiously excited to see if and how they continue to improve as more players get healthy and the freshmen and sophomores who didn’t play last season get up to speed at the college level.

Still, barring something dramatic and spectacular (a top-four finish in the conference followed by a deep playoff run and an appearance in the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 1993), I think Brown needs to thank Whittet for his tireless commitment to the program and go a different direction going forward.

[> Subject: Re: Grin does Whittit stay

Author:
Sr. Punter
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:41:06 12/06/21 Mon

Things seem to be improving. I think we might give him in some room under the new Admin. I willing to give him (and Grace) a little more time. I doubt any change will be made during the season.

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.