VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Brown Mens Rugby beats Dartmouth for title

Author:
An Observer
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 10:18:30 12/03/21 Fri
In reply to: ivy guy 's message, "Brown Mens Rugby beats Dartmouth for title" on 07:49:25 12/03/21 Fri

I don't know anything about Ivy League club status men's rugby, but I do know what it means when an established power misses out on a title for the first time since 2007.

I love to see what increased dedication, focus and a little of the ol' dinero can do. That works across all sports and most endeavors in life. As my kid says, "Time, effort and money. If you don't have one, you better have plenty of the other two."

Congratulations, Brown men's rugby.

Question, though: I thought the point of a club sport was that the institution does not have full-time coaches and support staff. Is that general rule incorrect? Do most club teams have paid staff? Back in my day, the only guy the rugby team paid was the local beer retailer.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Re: Brown Mens Rugby beats Dartmouth for title

Author:
ivy guy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:45:05 12/03/21 Fri

AO

There have been changes at Brown as a result of the Excellence in Athletics initiative and the new AD.

I believe the difference is that mens rugby is not part of a conference (IL or ECAC).

Both Dartmouth and Brown have full-time coaches for rugby (recently added by Brown). My understanding is that the coaches for club sports (rugby, sailing) are funded by alumni gifts or alumni endowments.

FWIW Harvard is recruitng for a rugby coach.

Agree that the beer consumption for the Brown men and women's rugby teams is impressive.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: Re: Brown Mens Rugby beats Dartmouth for title

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:56:04 12/03/21 Fri

I am fascinated by the changes and the improvement at Brown since Calhoun's arrival, for two reasons.

First, in general, I am very interested in how large organizations turn around and improve. Especially in an organization such as an athletic department, where improvement in one sport has very little spill over benefit to the other 32 Ivy-sponsored sports.

Secondly, Calhoun to my uneducated observation from afar, did not change much at Penn and certainly the results at Brown in her short tenure seem like a sharp improvement upon her prior track record.

Broadly speaking, I think that strength in the non-HYP departments is good for the League and certainly for fan interest. I wish her the best in continuing to turn the tanker from its prior course to a more successful path.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.