VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Taking Your Chances and Other Thoughts

Author:
Calvin
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 07:28:43 12/04/21 Sat
In reply to: David Perry 's message, "Taking Your Chances and Other Thoughts" on 23:36:50 12/03/21 Fri

Not everyone may be convinced, but your case is stated as cogently as possible and much more thoroughly than I have heard before.

Even if the final part seems a bit harsh.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Robin Harris, America Turns Its Lonely Eyes to You

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:12:03 12/04/21 Sat

David, thanks for a cogent and articulate summary of where we stand. In particular, I like that you shone a light on two points:

(1) We all know that the overtime rules changed this year, so everybody is getting familiar with the alternating two-point conversion attempts starting in the third overtime. You make a great observation that, in such a situation, officials should EXPECT the head coach of the defensive team to call time-out once the offense has revealed its formation.

This is especially true when it's the bottom half of the inning and the coach of the defensive team has no incentive to conserve his one time out for that inning. Princeton had already failed in its top half of the inning before Surace tried to call time out.

(5) [using your numbering of paragraphs] As Ivy Guy first noted in another, much older thread on this subject, we're just asking for trouble on these alternating two-point conversions because the coaches are confined to the coaching box thirty yards away from the goal line action.

The Dick Tracy watch would be fun, but failing that, how about a simple red flag that coaches could throw onto the field, a la the challenge flag in the NFL? Coaches would still have the traditional means of getting an official's attention, but the red flag would be an unambiguous method of calling time out which *IS* clear on video replay. Let's say you arbitrarily say a coach must throw his time out flag inside the numbers. As long as the flag is on the ground inside the numbers before the snap, the time out is valid. You could just do this for overtime, when each play's importance is magnified, especially starting in the third frame.

Finally, I like your even-handed take in your last full paragraph (6), a general admonition against teams complaining about the officiating too much. I agree with that broad sentiment, but I also feel strongly that, if Harvard deserves to win the game by even the narrowest margin, Harvard deserves to win. It's not incumbent upon Harvard to blow out Princeton, they just need to be one point better when the final, post-video replay gun goes off.

Overralll, a terrific summaryy., David I think we all agree that the ball right now is the the court of the Ivy League office. Both Harvard and Princeton deserve a more throrough explanna ion of why the League office does not believe tor support the clear langauage in Article 7.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.