VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick

Author:
An Observer
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 23:59:03 12/07/21 Tue
In reply to: Ivy Inquisitor 's message, "Ryan Fitzpatrick" on 19:00:22 12/07/21 Tue

One thing Tom Brady has done for other quarterbacks in the league is that he's made it not automatically a decision to be second-guessed for a team to hang onto an older quarterback.

NFL coaches will do almost anything to avoid being second guessed. It's taken them at least a decade since the data clearly showed that they should go for it more often on fourth and short. Now a few do. Same for going for two points and the win rather than the extra point and the tie.

Pre-TB, no coach was going to bring a 40-year-old player into camp for being criticized, as suggested by Calvin. I'd say the end of the Tom Brady era is the best time for Fitzpatrick to make a go of another season. Come in as the back-up and then wait for fate to strike again.

I wish him the best. Exemplary ambassador for the Ivy League.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:10:33 12/08/21 Wed

I agree TB may be creating a unique slipstream, but question whether someone with Fitz's non-Superbowl record can fit within it.

And that kind of injury is, I think, worse than anything TB has had to overcome. See Dennis Pitta.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick

Author:
Joe Friday
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:10:47 12/08/21 Wed

Assuming he fully recovers from the surgery and is medically cleared, he’ll eventually be signed by a team with a first or second year QB in order to bring additional stability to the QB room as well as to serve as an additional coach of sorts as was mentioned. Mark Brunell was the prototype for this type of player. This all presumes that Fitz would sign for the veteran minimum and that a team would have the salary cap space to spend that additional 500K or so as opposed to signing another rookie instead. Fitz is the model for what the combination of persistence, hard work, yes talent and team-first humility can produce.

[> [> [> [> Subject: The vet minimum is a potential issue too

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:15:04 12/08/21 Wed

This year it is $1.05MM for a 10+ year vet, next year $1.1MM. A lot to commit.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cba/minimum/

And backup QBs can command a lot more: https://fanbuzz.com/nfl/highest-paid-backup-qbs/

Also I believe fewer teams carry 3 QBs so as to be able to devote scarce roster spots to other positions more likely to be called upon, which means you better be confident in your backup being available.

IMO the best role for Fitz going forward is as a QB coach, but not everyone wants to embrace that grind after a lucrative playing career.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: The vet minimum is a potential issue too

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:23:17 12/08/21 Wed

Whether the employee is a french fry cook at McDonald's making $12.50 an hour or a veteran NFL player making $1 million+, the same question is relevant.

Does setting a minimum wage for this individual help him by making sure he is paid more than free market forces would set as his pay, or does that minimum wage make it more likely he is unemployed?

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: The vet minimum is a potential issue too

Author:
sparman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:51:10 12/08/21 Wed

Is it even necessary for vets, given the salaries are usually higher than the minimum. Seems like demand for capable players usually exceeds supply when I read about difficulties replacing injured players.

I know vets sometimes sign for minimum, but I have no idea how often.

[> [> Subject: One quibble

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:44:28 12/08/21 Wed

Pre-TB, but post-George Blanda.

:)

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.