VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Wednesday--National Signing Day

Author:
Lurker
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 12:12:20 12/11/21 Sat
In reply to: ivy guy 's message, "Wednesday--National Signing Day" on 10:09:48 12/11/21 Sat

Also, the continued logjam of scholarship players due to extra
Covid eligibility means relatively fewer full rides are avail for this year’s seniors which could create more IL commits among those players who would go fbs in an otherwise normal year

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Re: Wednesday--National Signing Day

Author:
Old Lion (Grad transfer portal)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:43:29 12/11/21 Sat

Can somebody explain the graduate transfer portal? As I understand it, Ivy players who want to graduate with their class and have remaining eligibility have to use their eligibility elsewhere. I ask because I see on twitter that some of our all-Ivy caliber guys who are graduating with their class in the Spring have announced that they have entered the graduate transfer portal.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: Re: Wednesday--National Signing Day

Author:
Joe Friday
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:54:55 12/12/21 Sun

There is no graduate transfer portal, per se. Even before the the establishment of the national transfer database (the “portal”) and the passage of the rule allowing football players a one time transfer without having to sit for a year, players who had graduated prior to expiration of their four year eligibility (within the five year time frame that began when they started classes or participated in an organized team activity) could be graduate students somewhere and exhaust their eligibility. Cameron Nizialek - as you know - is a good pre-portal IL example: got his degree from Columbia, had a year of eligibility left and then did year at UGA where he went from playing in front of maybe a few thousand to over 100.000. They’re conventionally known as “grad transfers,” but it’s kind of a misnomer is my mind because you’re not really transferring from a school that you’ve already technically graduated from.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Wednesday--National Signing Day

Author:
ivy guy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:45:19 12/12/21 Sun

My understanding is that the (only) Transfer Portal reports indicate: sport, class status (undergrad or graduate), transfering school, and years of remaining eligibility.

I believe that players can only use the portal one time (essentially a waiver of their NLI agreement).

I am not aware of any grad transfers playing for more than one graduate season. Grad transfers must be accepted and enroll in their new graduate program.

I appreciate any corrections or insights from other Voy contributors.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Transfer portal

Author:
Ed S.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:21:43 12/12/21 Sun

Cornell offensive lineman Hunter Nourzad entered the NCAA Transfer Portal in late November and has seen a steady stream of interest ever since. On Friday, Penn State offensive line coach Phil Trautwein came through with an offer for the First-Team All-Ivy League selection.

Nourzad played both tackle spots and started the final 20 games of his Cornell career. He also played center in practice and he plans to play on the interior at his final stop. He was a Second-Team All-Ivy League selection as a sophomore in 2019 and did not play in 2020 due to the Covid-19 pandemic. He’ll graduate from Cornell in May with a degree in Mechanical Engineering and have two years of eligibility remaining. He was also an Academic All-Ivy League selection in 2021 and played for former Penn State graduate assistant Sean Cascarano, who is the offensive line coach at Cornell.

The Nittany Lions join an offer list that includes Illinois, Kansas, Louisville, Nebraska, Northwestern, Purdue, Syracuse, Temple and Tulane. Penn State went the Ivy League route last offseason when it added All-Ivy guard Eric Wilson for the 2021 season. Wilson started 11 games for the Nittany Lions at left guard in the fall.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: correction

Author:
ivy guy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:34:48 12/12/21 Sun

My error
I intended to say that the transfer would void the National Letter signed with the original scholarship offering school.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: correction

Author:
Joe Friday
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:03:24 12/13/21 Mon

The bottom line on an NLI is that when a player signs an NLI they’re agreeing to go to that school for a year, and the school is agreeing to pay for that year. It is a one year renewable agreement. The program makes the determination whether or not to renew that agreement.
A player can transfer one time (including mid-year) and be immediately eligible to play. They can certainly transfer a second time, but they don’t necessarily have immediate eligibility in that circumstance.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Harv lineman Liam Shanahan

Author:
Bcolsonb
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:52:03 12/21/21 Tue

Harv OL Liam Shanahan played three years before graduating.

He entered LSU as a grad student [MBA, I think] last year, starting at center [#56] in his fourth year of football. Because the NCAA awarded an extra year of eligibility to those playing last year, he is in the second year of the MBA program and still starting at center during his fifth season.

[> [> [> Subject: CU grad transfers

Author:
Roar Lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:00:52 12/12/21 Sun

Old Lion - I applaud your diligence in following football on Twitter. Who has announced they intend to graduate and play elsewhere next season? Miller previously said he would play a year of FBS. Others?

[> [> [> Subject: History of Grad transfers

Author:
Ivy Inquisitor
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:35:59 12/12/21 Sun

Old Lion: Grad transfer arrangement stated in 2010. Oregon QB Jeremiah Masoli and a teammate were suspected of stealing a lap top from a Frat house. He denied any involvement. A police investigation confirmed he was present when his team mate stole the computer. Jeremiah Masoli was sentenced to probation and community service. Coach Chip Kelly suspended him for the 2010 season for lying about the incident. He was going to Red Shirt for that season and be the 2011 starter.

Few months later Masoli was pull over for traffic violation with a expired licence and small amount of cannabis. As a result, he got kicked off the team. Soon after he graduated he found a transfer loop hole. He wanted to transfer to Mississippi University because he wanted to purse a grad degree in Parks and recreation management.University of Oregon doesn't offer this program.

NCAA allowed him to play in 2010 in the grounds of your current school doesn't offer the graduate program the student is pursuing.
That policy may have been revised by now.

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.