VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Penn OC fired

Author:
Asiasunset
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 16:18:27 12/13/21 Mon
In reply to: Quakers89 's message, "Penn OC fired" on 14:29:23 12/13/21 Mon

Makes sense after the most painful season I can remember.

This will be an important hire for Penn. I’m guessing Priore has someone in mind. This has probably been in the works for weeks

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Penn OC fired

Author:
Ivy Inquisitor
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:32:54 12/13/21 Mon

If Pennsylvania gets a solid OC then this will be the best thing to happen to Quaker football in 5 years. I hope they do a diligent search it may expedite Penn’s recovery .

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: What is the quickest way to bolster a program?

Author:
Bengal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:58:39 12/13/21 Mon

[> [> [> Subject: Answer

Author:
Bengal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:31:45 12/14/21 Tue

Transfers. And Penn has often made good use of this pipeline. It would not be surprising to see an impact transfer or two this fall for Penn. Of course, the staff is important, but the potential of a transfer's impact is something to watch for. We'll see. I do expect Penn to rebound in the near term.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Sure hope that's not the reason Morris was let go

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:41:41 12/14/21 Tue

I get that Penn fans are unhappy, and I get that next year could be a make-or-break year for Priore.

But I sure hope that Morris wasn't let go to bring in a guy with the expectation that an impact transfer will follow him. That's the type of BCS stuff that the Ivy has strived to avoid...

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Sure hope that's not the reason Morris was let go

Author:
Bengal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:48:04 12/14/21 Tue

I doubt that, nor does my post suggest it. I am talking generally as to the quickest way a program can improve itself, and referencing that Penn has made good use of transfers in the past. I don't recall any Penn transfer resulting from dismissal/hiring of an assistant coach.
BTW, as of this morning he is still listed on the coach's page, not that that proves anything.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Sure hope that's not the reason Morris was let go

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:05:30 12/14/21 Tue

One tactic which has worked its way onto the first page of the playbook for head coaches on the hot seat is to fire an assistant coach before your boss fires you.

The thinking seems to be that you are showing your boss that you recognize the status quo is unacceptable and you are taking action.

This now happens both at the FBS level and in the NFL. By my very incomplete memory, this would be one of the first instances in the Ivy.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Sure hope that's not the reason Morris was let go

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:23:38 12/14/21 Tue

My recollection was that at least one positional coach was let go after Dartmouth's 2008 0-10 season.

While it might have been unfair to make him the fall guy, he *was* replaced by Keith Clark a month or so later.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Sure hope that's not the reason Morris was let go

Author:
Jake (Novak)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:26:44 12/14/21 Tue

... and I got a lot of criticism for reporting that the firing was based heavily on the recommendations from the group Dartmouth hired to evaluate the program.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Sure hope that's not the reason Morris was let go

Author:
Bengal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:48:42 12/14/21 Tue

That season seems to keep popping up.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: As much as that season sucked...

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:47:22 12/15/21 Wed

... there are definitely good lessons to be drawn from it.

As Jake reminds us, Teevens was forced to make changes. While 2009 showed only marginal improvements, the program was noticeably better in 2010.

Teams that are struggling now would be well-advised to follow the Dartmouth blueprint. I suspect that they've got some of the same issues that Dartmouth had in 2008.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: As much as that season sucked...

Author:
Bengal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:41:17 12/15/21 Wed

Aside from assistant coaching changes -- I have previously noted the value of Don Dobes who moved from P LB coach to DC's DC in 2010 -- how would you describe that blueprint?

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: From memory...

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:50:11 12/15/21 Wed

Jake can probably fill in as well as he was pretty vocal about getting Columbia to make changes to its program a few years later. But from memory the blueprint was:

1) Better assistants

2) Less micromanaging of coaching by Teevens and allowing assistants more autonomy so he could focus on recruiting and fundraising

3) Improve facilities

4) Schedule manageable OOC opponents to help team get back on its feet

5) Increase fundraising to retain quality assistants and expand recruiting outreach (i.e., take trips to actually visit players' homes and schools).

All five were implemented. I do not give them any particular order of importance because all five of them clearly contributed to the turnaround.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: What is the quickest way to bolster a program?

Author:
HDallmar
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:53:07 12/14/21 Tue

Right you are. Almost all the championships Bagnoli won at Penn were won with transfer qbs. And that was before the portal.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: What is the quickest way to bolster a program?

Author:
Old Lion (Norries Wilson)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:01:06 12/15/21 Wed

NW should have fired his OC but didn’t; I always thought that with a better OC NW could have had a few more wins with offensive players like Knowlin, MA, Kennedy, Brackett etc.

[> [> Subject: Re: Penn OC fired

Author:
Philly67
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:42:06 01/12/22 Wed

How about taking a look at Columbia OC Fabish? Im sure he would take a good hard look at returning to his alma mater.

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.