VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Kenny Pickett Tells His Pitt Teammates, "Good Luck Against Michigan State"

Author:
An Observer
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 14:15:43 12/17/21 Fri

Kenny Pickett has announced that he will not play in Pitt's upcoming Peach Bowl contest against Michigan State. We've talked before about what players who want to train for the draft owe their teammates and what they do not. There is no correct answer.

But I do believe that, the more important you are to your team, the more obligated you should feel to play. Pitt had a breakout season, surprising everybody to win the ACC and propelling Pickett to New York to be on stage when the Heisman was awarded to Bryce Young.

Now the 2021 season will end on a sour note for Pitt. It's not like Pitt has no chance of winning the Peach Bowl, it's that Pitt is going to spend their whole bowl preparation trying to break in their second string quarterback.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Why would deserting your team make you a more desirable draft pick?

Author:
Diogenes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:03:18 12/17/21 Fri

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Not more desirable

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:31:52 12/17/21 Fri

But less likely to suffer a career limiting, or ending, injury and resulting loss of life changing money.

See Jaylon Smith.

I don't think pro teams consider sitting out as diminishing potential performance. After all these are organizations that rationalize paying exorbitant amounts to DV perpetrators.

They also draft players who decline to participate in the pre-draft combine.

Where Pickett would get drafted, I don't know. I do know that teams always tend to take QBs early and the higher the pick number, the more $.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Not more desirable

Author:
Diogenes (Calvin)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:31:54 12/17/21 Fri

I wasn’t aware of Jaylon Smith and googled his Wikipedia page. After his injury, he was drafted in the second round by the Cowboys and played for 6 years whilst earning, according to the always suspect Wikipedia, over $30,000,000.
Did his loyalty to Notre Dame have anything to do with that? I don’t know, but I hope so.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Not more desirable

Author:
Lurker
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:18:42 12/17/21 Fri

Before his injury he was projected as a top 5 draft pick. If he sat out the bowl game his career earnings would have been at least $10M more

[> [> [> [> Subject: Also Jake Butt

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:32:41 12/18/21 Sat

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/12/06/jaylon-smith-jake-butt-skipping-bowl-games-injuries-draft-mccaffrey-fournette

Good or bad, it's a trend.

[> Subject: Re: Kenny Pickett Tells His Pitt Teammates, "Good Luck Against Michigan State"

Author:
Lurker
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:53:53 12/17/21 Fri

Outside of the playoffs, this trend will continue to make bowl games (and the associated practices) an extra, early spring practice opportunity.

[> [> Subject: Re: Kenny Pickett Tells His Pitt Teammates, "Good Luck Against Michigan State"

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:07:27 12/17/21 Fri

Coaches with incentive clauses for bowl wins are probably willing to forego the evaluation value.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Kenny Pickett Tells His Pitt Teammates, "Good Luck Against Michigan State"

Author:
Luker
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:33:23 12/17/21 Fri

I thought most of those were for making a bowl not necessarily winning. I wouldnt be surprised to see coaches “encouraging” those moving on to sit out the bowl to see new projected starters against a quality opponent.

At least that is what I would do

[> [> Subject: Re: Kenny Pickett Tells His Pitt Teammates, "Good Luck Against Michigan State"

Author:
Diogenes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:32:37 12/18/21 Sat

"You are what your record says you are"

[> Subject: Smith

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:07:06 12/17/21 Fri

just signed to the Giants practice squad today

[> Subject: Re: Kenny Pickett Tells His Pitt Teammates, "Good Luck Against Michigan State"

Author:
Ivy Inquisitor (Ivy must be pleased)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:12:40 12/18/21 Sat

I remember 5 years ago this started with LSU’s Fournette and Stanford’s CMC. These running backs started the trend of abstaining from bowl games. That year LSU and Stanford where playing in minor bowls. After CMC and Fournette’s decision I knew this trend was here to stay for minor bowl games. Two years later it surprised me when Michigan DL Rashan Gary wouldn’t be playing in a major NY6 game. Now it’s expected a player will abstain from the bowl unless it’s a national championship bowl game-for now at least. It won’t surprise me if a regular contender (Clemson,Ohio st, and Alabama) will sit out of a final four game. Ivy League must be ecstatic to hear of this. I’ ve never been a fan of a coach getting fired/ leaving prior to a bowl . So I understand that this was well in hand before CMC and Fournette. It really irritates me to see a player on the sidelines for the bowl game they chose not to play. To me it’s tasteless to get the bowl trip with the gifts and activities for a game you rejected. Not to mention leaving your teammates on the field. For decades when a player was asked about entering the draft early the response was always “ wait until after the bowl “ Now they’re skipping the game. When will we see this trend in scouts all star games? Has it already happened ? I won’t be surprised to see this trend carry into basketball with conference tournaments, NIT and NCAA tournament. We’re on track to see the day when a player decides to sit out by mid season for the draft. I understand the players perspective on how a bowl game injury can effect their draft status and earnings potential. Ultimately it’s their decision to decide how they transition to their next chapter in life.

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:44:23 12/18/21 Sat

Seems to me that as long as the economics are set up the way they are, there is great incentive for likely pro players not to play in bowls.

Also as to school loyalty, many players are already products of the transfer system, so there is not the same loyalty factor most of us remember. In the eloquent words of Mr. Cardale Jones, Esq., they didn't choose their current place of employment based on the physics department:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2708257-qb-cardale-jones-graduates-from-osu-with-we-aint-come-here-to-play-school-cap

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Kenny Pickett Tells His Pitt Teammates, "Good Luck Against Michigan State"

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:58:06 12/18/21 Sat

Not the proudest day in the history of The Ohio State University.

Come to think of it, yesterday wasn't, either.

Author:
ivy guy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:30:24 12/18/21 Sat

Some college coaches dissuade committed recruits from playing in All Star games ... for the same reason.

It will not impact your college destination, but could get you injured and impact your college career.

[> [> [> [> Subject: clarifying

Author:
ivy guy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:31:51 12/18/21 Sat

Some college coaches dissuade committed recruits from playing in HIGH SCHOOL All Star games

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: clarifying

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:28:16 12/18/21 Sat

I can attest that some high school coaches even dissuade folks from playing in their team, too.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Somewhat off topic

Author:
Ivy Inquisitor
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:57:18 12/19/21 Sun

I can envision Pittsburgh winning the lambert Trophy and JMU winning the Lambert Cup.

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.