VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: So just how good is Ivy Football really

Author:
An Observer
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 16:17:57 12/18/21 Sat
In reply to: jerrylh 's message, "So just how good is Ivy Football really" on 11:29:47 12/18/21 Sat

Wow, some of you guys set some pretty high bars for our football teams. Of course, we are very unlikely to win the FCS championship if we have to go through North Dakota State. So what? Why should that be the standard?

By your logic, nobody should work on Wall Street unless they can get a job at Goldman. Why even go to college unless it's at HYP? That's ridiculous.

Ivy League football is good, quality football which more than meets the eye test for an enjoyable Saturday afternoon sitting in the stands. That's good enough for me.

Furthermore, the trade off between football success and academic selectivity is not linear. If we want to get much better at football, we don't just have to dumb down our teams, we've got to dumb down our teams way, way down. No interest here.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Re: So just how good is Ivy Football really

Author:
Two Cents
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:08:02 12/18/21 Sat

Bingo!

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: "good enough for me"

Author:
ivy guy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:14:11 12/18/21 Sat

I agree with AO. We should not chase the unachievable.
I love Ivy League Football and the improving quality of the teams.
Ivy League football is high quality. Winning a game or two in the FCS playoffs would be a worthy goal.
But the caliber of athletes at the top of BCS (the recurring top 5), and the majority of BCS Power 5 teams exceed what the Ivy League can achieve without compromising academic standards and massive increases in football investment.
That does not mean that the IL teams should not be seeking challenging matchups against teams with high academic requirements,
For example:
Army, Navy, Air Force
Duke
Vanderbilt
Rice

Stanford, Cal, Northwestern, Michigan, UVA are a bridge WAY too far.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: "good enough for me"

Author:
ivy guy (correction)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:16:22 12/18/21 Sat

But the caliber of athletes at the top of the FCS (the recurring top 5) ...

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: "good enough for me"

Author:
Ghost of 1968
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:37:03 12/18/21 Sat

Thank you for agreeing with me. Love your Ivy League football but keep it in perspective when it comes to FCS football.

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.