VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Columbia transfer portal

Author:
Old LIon (Status)
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 15:35:49 12/21/21 Tue
In reply to: Old Lion 's message, "Columbia transfer portal" on 06:54:36 12/02/21 Thu

Most are graduate transfers—and Columbia is not the type of place that would really lend itself to being in grad school while playing football. As far as the seniors who have another year of eligibility, to play another season would require taking off the spring semester. I had heard that there are several seniors who plan to do that, including co-captain Stew Newblatt.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Yes...

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:18:16 12/22/21 Wed

As much as I loved playing football, I would not have dreamed of doing so while attending grad school.

I get that sometimes playing in grad school is a good way to pay for tuition via a scholarship. But grad school to me was a whole different mindset than college. Books weren't just first in grad school. Books were also second, third, fourth, and fifth.

All power to the guys who can do well in grad school while still playing football though.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: Here's How to Play Football in Law School

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:51:10 12/22/21 Wed

I've had more than one attorney tell me that law school in America could easily be condensed into a two-year track. They say that law students spend most of their third year interviewing for jobs and clerkships, rather than attending class.

My brother-in-law not only accepted his job shortly after his summer internship, he started it. He was working full-time at a prominent law firm in the Midwest (and living in that city) the entire third year while enrolled full-time at Yale Law School. He laughs about it, like "Why would I waste a year of my life going to class? Who does that?" Yet there I was in the New Haven audience, clapping politely as he received his degree in late May. And I think Yale is one of the better law schools.

So maybe the way to play one's extra year of athletic eligibility would be to study hard for two years, lock down the starting job for a big time firm, then spend third year of law school starting at quarterback for Stanford or Vanderbilt.

I am guessing that one reason why law school lasts three years is that lawyers want to give their profession more of the gravitas of medicine. That of course was the only reason that the traditional LLB degree was changed, after over a century, to the more substantial sounding JD degree. Indeed, "Doctor of Laws" is a pretty thinly veiled attempt to appear more doctory.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Here's How to Play Football in Law School

Author:
Old Lion (Not 1L)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:42:30 12/22/21 Wed

The first year of any good law school is an incredible grind, and the results of first year grades will largely determine career paths and opportunities. Do well in first year and the world is your oyster; bomb the first year and look for another career path. Second year is an opportunity for redemption. Third year is always the subject of debate as to its value but if it is eliminated then second year no longer provides the same opportunity for redemption. So unless you are a combination of Oliver Wendell Holmes, Louis D. Brandeis and Whizzer White you cannot play football for any D 1 school while attending and succeeding at your 1 L studies.

[> [> Subject: Re: Columbia transfer portal

Author:
Old Lion (Agreed)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:26:59 12/22/21 Wed

Attending graduate and professional schools at Ivy schools is like holding a full time job and then some. And you don’t have the option of taking a course or two over the summer and then taking a light load during the fall term.

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.