VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Columbia RB

Author:
Old Lion (Lucas Bullock)
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 16:19:08 12/25/21 Sat

RB from Overland Park KS. Several other Ivy offers. 6’208 lb.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Columbia RB

Author:
The Mountain Lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:48:03 12/25/21 Sat

Lucas Bullock is the second highest rated "Athlete" in the State of Kansas," and a running back with huge potential. Bullock looks like a perfect addition to a Columbia team that needs to replace its two outstanding running backs (Dante Miller and Ryan Young) who are both graduating. Merry Christmas to everyone!!!

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Looks like a DB to me

Author:
NYCBlue
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:53:12 12/25/21 Sat

https://sixstarfootball.com/player/lucas-bullock/

[> [> [> Subject: To you, it still looks like Cornell beat Columbia on the final Saturday of the football season.

Author:
Valmas (Stoic)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:14:14 12/25/21 Sat

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: To you, it still looks like Cornell beat Columbia on the final Saturday of the football season.

Author:
NYCBlue (LMAO)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:32:05 12/25/21 Sat

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Looks like a DB to me

Author:
The Mountain Lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:35:41 12/25/21 Sat

Lucas Bullock probably played both running back and defensive back in high school in Kansas, but his senior year highlights film features his exceptional running back and pass receiving skills which point to his being a running back at Columbia.

[> [> Subject: Re: Columbia RB

Author:
Old Lion (Needs)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:11:46 12/26/21 Sun

The last obvious need was at the RB position. We have only one returning RB with any game experience. One critical need at the RB position is pass catching ability—with Green and Young we had some huge pass plays last season.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Columbia RB

Author:
The Mountain Lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:40:28 12/26/21 Sun

Yes, the RB position is an obvious need on offense due to the graduation of the super duo, Dante Miller and Ryan Young, as well as their top back-up Broderick Taylor. However, the Lions do have a number of talented running backs returning including Ty'son Edwards who did see some varsity action. Nevertheless, given the importance of the running back position, I would expect Columbia to recruit several running backs. Incidentally, when you look at Lucas Bullock's recruiting film highlights it is quite clear that he has the pass catching ability you mentioned.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Columbia RB

Author:
Old Lion (Ty’son Edwards)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:16:14 12/26/21 Sun

Edward’s looked very good in limited action. I also wonder if Hollingsworth might see some snaps at RB.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Columbia RB

Author:
The Mountain Lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:13:15 12/26/21 Sun

I would expect Gabriel Hollingsworth to be an integral part of the Lions' offense next year not only as the back-up quarterback to Joe Green, but in numerous other ways similar to what we saw this year at Dartmouth. Columbia will also need at least one other player who can step in at qb as needed. That person is likely to be Greer, Bell or Jenner, although the talented incoming freshman, A.J. Simpkins, may see playing time as well. It is a given that you need a strong three-deep at quarterback to compete successfully for the Ivy League Championship as Columbia is expected to do next year. Next up on the recruiting needs list are ?????????

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Columbia RB

Author:
Ghost of 1968
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:28:59 12/26/21 Sun

"Compete successfully........" my guess is the Lions will be picked either 3rd/4th in any preseason poll. Why do you continue to think that only Columbia's players will improve but others won't? How about the fact that coaches will now have seen a full year of your new QB, Mr. Green, and may be able to limit his effectiveness in year two? Are you counting on shutting out Dartmouth again? And, oh yes, Columbia's recruits are ALWAYS far better than anyone else's, I forgot. Which teams, realistically, can you jump over to finish second, Princeton, Harvard?

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: You bloviate; twist others' words; all the while offering not one idea or intelligent thought.

Author:
Valmas (Stoic)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:09:39 12/27/21 Mon

Chances are, that if you're part of the top half of a give league or conference, you may well be rightfully viewed as competing for that conference's championship. And where is written herein, that Columbia's football recruits are superior to those of other schools? Why not offer your despicable, hateful bile to those threads promoting Brown Cornell, Penn, and/or Princeton incoming student-athlete? Let's see what kind of reception you get over there? Or if the moderator will stay the course; continuing to tolerate your odious presence.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: You bloviate; twist others' words; all the while offering not one idea or intelligent thought.

Author:
Tiger69
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:55:01 12/27/21 Mon

Off season is the time for dreaming. Besides Columbia has a legendary Head Coach who, if anyone, can turn the tide in favor of the Lions. Better to dream than to grumble. Good luck, Lions. I am wishing that you and Brown swing it out for SECOND place next year.🐅

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: You bloviate; twist others' words; all the while offering not one idea or intelligent thought.

Author:
Watkins
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:18:45 12/27/21 Mon

One thing that’s different about the Ivy League sports message board compared to other conferences is that, when we attack each other, we use words like “bloviate.” Well done, MV.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: You bloviate; twist others' words; all the while offering not one idea or intelligent thought.

Author:
Ghost of 1961
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:47:32 12/27/21 Mon

For sure! As a non-Ivy grad but big Columbia fan can you translate please? That word doesn't show up on the Auburn board, except for a misspelling of something else.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: You bloviate; twist others' words; all the while offering not one idea or intelligent thought.

Author:
joiseyfan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:28:11 12/28/21 Tue

Given the generic bloviation level in the SEC, that’s an ironic statement on steroids.

Cheers, Ghost

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: You bloviate; twist others' words; all the while offering not one idea or intelligent thought.

Author:
Ghost of 1961
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:29:52 01/03/22 Mon

Who loves ya, Joisey?

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: You bloviate; twist others' words; all the while offering not one idea or intelligent thought.

Author:
Ghost of 1961
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:48:41 12/27/21 Mon

Columbia fans are so starved for success (catch my title?) they only think in a tunnel. One only needs to look back at the lightning-in-a-bottle 8-2 a few years ago to see what followed the next two years (tied for 4th, tied for 6th and those are facts). Of the 30 recruits you get each year, you have to yield 12-15 good football players. That way, over a four year cycle, you yield 50 good Ivy League players. THEN, you compete for a championship. Columbia may have the QB, but if you're relying on studs emerging at the WR, RB and defensive line, well, good luck but that's your formula for winning. Alas this is the time of year when Brown, Penn, Cornell and Columbia can all dream of chasing the perennial front runners.Roar!

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: The Opposite of Love Is Not Hate, But Indifference

Author:
Travis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:29:48 12/28/21 Tue

Elie Weisel pointed out that the opposite of love is not hate, it is indifference.

Columbia fans should not be forlorn as a result of Ghost's posts, they should be flattered. Ghost has some deep emotional relationship with Columbia sports, whatever the genesis or cause.

Further, we can easily understand when a poster such as Go Green is obsessed with Princeton. The Tigers are a powerhouse program and the dominant athletic department, a reasonable and worthy opponent with which to be obsessed.

It's when a poster such as Ghost (or Foehi) is obsessed with a League member which has won only one title, and it was a full six decades ago, that you have to stand back and admire that obsession. Freud and Jung would have a field day with this.

In the movie version of this tale, "Lion Dearest," Ghost was raised by an indifferent and occasionally abusive Joan Crawford who, away from the Hollywood lights, harbored a secret love for the Columbia football program. Joan poured all of her emotional and personal energy into supporting the Light Blue from Morningside Heights, neglecting young Ghost.

Ghost learned to hate Columbia football, his secret rival for his mother's affection.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: The Opposite of Love Is Not Hate, But Indifference

Author:
sparman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:46:07 12/28/21 Tue

Slightly OT, makes me wonder how many here are fans of schools they did not attend (which IMO is a good thing, as we regularly hear that no one outside old alums cares about us).

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: foehi's lower cased and has never misrepresented himself as a Columbia fan...

Author:
Valmas (Stoic)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:21:11 12/28/21 Tue

I'll stand back and admire foehi's honesty any day of the week. However, don't expect indifference from me -nor look my way to embrace the "flattery" of a faceless nonentity, ever prepared to mock and cyberbully kids playing our Ivy League games.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: foehi's lower cased and has never misrepresented himself as a Columbia fan...

Author:
Ghost of 1961
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:33:30 01/03/22 Mon

I'll repeat it, Mr. Valmas- highest respect for the Ivy student-athletes, especially football guys who only get to play for the neighborhood championship.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Columbia RB

Author:
Old Lion (Returnees)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:18:20 12/27/21 Mon

In addition to Green and the Yale QB, are there any other QBs who were starters this season and are going to be back next year? I’m not talking about QBs who saw some playing time but established starters.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Columbia RB

Author:
Tiger81
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:12:30 12/27/21 Mon

I believe only Princeton (Smith), Dartmouth (Kyler), Brown (Perry) and Cornell (Kenney) had seniors at QB. Penn had a freshman (Sayin) and Harvard (Dean), Columbia (Green), and Yale (Grooms) all had sophomores at QB. However, Cornell also had the freshman Jameson Wang and Dartmouth had Nick Howard (junior) who both played a lot of minutes.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: QBs in 2022

Author:
ivy guy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:21:43 12/27/21 Mon

Good summary by Tiger81

Brown will have the biggest shoes to fill.
EJ and his backup McGovern both graduate.
Bears have 2 juniors, 2 sophomores, and 2 freshmen on the roster--plus two QB commitments for 2022.

A crowded QB room.
I am confident that James Perry will find a leader from this cast--hopefully 2 or 3 going forward.

The fact that few have seen meaningful playing time is about EJ Perry's generationsl talent.

James is very good at developing QBs (see Princeton, Bryant, and Brown).

It is fair to say that this will be THE priority for Spring and Fall practices ... and significant improvement on defense.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Columbia RB

Author:
Old Lion (Green)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:01:43 12/27/21 Mon

While he is technically a sophomore he actually has three more years of eligibility. Since he was not around for has freshman year I’m looking forward to seeing him after a full offseason working in the dome with his receivers. In any event who knows at this point what he would do with that third year. As far as the other returning QBs, Grooms impressed me. The Cornell and
Dartmouth returnees struck me more as runners than as passers.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Columbia RB

Author:
Lurker
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:57:49 12/27/21 Mon

Fwiw i thought cornell fr qb threw some good balls against col. Not trying to trigger the cornell guys but I would have gone with him fulltime last 2 or 3 games of year

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Columbia RB

Author:
OLD LION (Cornell QB)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:47:06 12/28/21 Tue

Very talented to be sure, but a better runner than passer. He threw up some 50/50 balls and we intercepted a few.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Columbia RB

Author:
Lurker
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:00:48 12/28/21 Tue

Thats why he should have played more. Could have gotten some development pains out of the way. I guess the term of art is “arm talent”. Imho he definitely had it, we will see how he develops. He left me with the impression he will be a headache for IL defenses in the years to come

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Columbia RB

Author:
Roar Lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:21:59 12/28/21 Tue

Strictly FWIW, I agree with Lurker that Wang could be very good. That said, Grooms and Green seem like the two best returning QBs.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Columbia RB

Author:
Two Cents
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:18:48 12/28/21 Tue

I think Dartmouth had a 1st-Team All-Ivy QB returning.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: QBs

Author:
ivy guy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:38:00 12/28/21 Tue

Before he got hurt, Dean from Harvard looked very good. A sophmore this year.

Crimson has seven QBs on the roster, losing only Jake Smith to graduation this year. (unless he has a +1 covid year available)

[> Subject: The Troll can't get his handle right

Author:
Roar Lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:47:58 12/27/21 Mon

Troll: Columbia last won a football championship in 1961. Basketball was 1968. It seems you interchange your handle regularly -- or else the original 1961 troll inspired some other gasbag and there are two of you. But at least get the Ghost right, 1961 for your dipstick comments on football, 1968 for basketball. I suspect you do not actually follow the teams as you don't recall which Troll is which, but maybe you just like pointing out that it's been a long time.

As for Green coming back to the pack next year, young athletes typically get better with age and reps, not worse. Our receivers were middling last fall, but Canty looked fantastic, Meyer and Libman pretty good, and they all return. Again, young athletes generally get better, not worse, and we have a lot of very young receivers with game experience coming back.

Columbia was down by three at Princeton midway thru the 4th. We beat Dartmouth away. And we led Yale at halftime away. Those are home games next year. Actual fans should be optimistic CU will be in the upper half next year and potentially contending. You are free to point out we are not good enough for the Big 10, or whatever your fartpost is this week. Happy New Year to the actual Columbia and Ivy fans!

[> [> Subject: Re: The Troll can't get his handle right

Author:
Old Lion (Well said)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:27:20 12/27/21 Mon

For some reason we seem to bring out the worst in a small group of people with a fixation on Columbia. I tend to ignore them.

Author:
Ghost of 1961
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:02:24 12/27/21 Mon

Your post is very Columbian. Super-starved for success and with your million dollar investment in your coach, you always need to justify your optimism. Looking at halftime scores or midway in the third quarter scores tells you what? Either you don't have enough players or you're getting outcoached in the second half. Why would you bring this up? Players change, weather changes, such a silly thing to look back at pieces of games, but you're basing next year's results on this year's partial scores? Wow.

Author:
Roar Lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:17:07 12/28/21 Tue

Thanks Troll for a great post. You're not a Columbia alum who is trying to keep it real but a flat out detractor who dislikes Al and our program. That's fine. We'll call you Li'l Foehi.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: The Troll can't get his handle right

Author:
Old Lion (AJ Simpkins)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:41:36 01/03/22 Mon

Jake has an interesting story about incoming QB Simpkins, who is described as a three star recruit with 11 offers.

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.