VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Cornell graduate transfer narrows his choices

Author:
BigRed
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 08:34:35 01/10/22 Mon
In reply to: Floridared 's message, "Cornell graduate transfer narrows his choices" on 16:57:19 01/03/22 Mon

The football alumni have left under Archer and Andy Noel. Other sports (hockey, wrestling, lacrosse) are doing just fine. I don’t hear my old teammates complaining about the stadium. It’s the coach and AD. The fact he didn’t fire Archer after this dumpster fire of a season tells you all you need to know

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: "Dumpster fire"?

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:30:39 01/10/22 Mon

That's a bit much. Cornell beat Colgate and Penn--two of its biggest traditional rivals. I get that you would have preferred to win more than that, but trust me--Cornell 2021 could have been a lot worse.

Your better argument is that Archer hasn't shown any progress of making Cornell compete for titles despite having plenty of time to do so. Of course, whether Cornell can get anyone better than Archer for the job is a very open question....

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: Cornell graduate transfer narrows his choices

Author:
Old Lion (Cornell recruiting)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:12:40 01/10/22 Mon

It seems to me at least that with the various undergraduate schools, both private and state, Cornell should have a significant recruiting advantage in terms of slotting recruits into schools that may be less demanding than the flagship schools such as engineering and arts & sciences.

[> [> Subject: Re: Cornell graduate transfer narrows his choices

Author:
jerrylh
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:52:22 01/10/22 Mon

Go Green makes a good point. First of all you can't compare, lacrosse, wrestling or hockey as there is much less competition for recruits. While players may not complain about the stadium, I don't think it is much of a draw for prospective recruits. Personally Cornell plays at least up the level you would expect for the quality of recruits they get. Let's face it, Cornell just cannot compete with PHYD for recruits unless something changes at the top.

[> [> [> Subject: Cornell Football versus Wrestling, Lacrosse and Hockey

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:28:59 01/10/22 Mon

I agree with JerryLH that, at Cornell, football is not comparable to wrestling, lacrosse or hockey. Cornell has made a long-term, sport-specific commitment to those latter three sports and most recruits are aware of it.

In wrestling, Cornell has its special relationship with the local community college which serves as a de facto prep school or red shirt way station for 18-year-old high school graduates to season and develop for a year.

In lacrosse, Cornell is sitting on top of one of the real recruiting hot beds in America. It's as if Cornell football were located in Texas while the rest of the Ivy League was in Nebraska. Cornell has a structural advantage in lacrosse.

In hockey, ditto. Cornell has a connection to Canadian feeder schools stronger than that at other Ivies.

Lastly, in all three sports, Cornell has a long-term, demonstrated commitment to each sport, which is known to high school recruits. That creates what accountants call "goodwill" and marketers call "brand equity."

None of that applies to Cornell football.

Building goodwill or brand equity is difficult. To do it in a short period of time, the institution needs to do something new and different, splashy and attention-getting. I am talking about hiring Tommy Amaker, spending millions on him and reallocating low academic band recruits from other sports. Or hiring Al Bagnoli and publicly signaling a sea change in attitude toward football. In either case, somebody will probably be opening his wallet in a way which was not done before.

Just swapping out Archer by itself does not reposition Cornell relative to the recruiting machines built by Surace, Murphy and Reno. And of course, those three guys have an edge in financial aid as well. I don't think it's huge, but I know they are playing from a position of strength, not weakness.

I'm not saying Cornell shouldn't aim high. That's Cornell's prerogative, just as it was Columbia's. But to think that firing Archer accomplishes much is a big oversimplification.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Cornell graduate transfer narrows his choices

Author:
Sprint66
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:31:07 01/10/22 Mon

If you don't think facilities are a problem than ask why so many recruits went to another Ivy? I agree coaching has been a major issue, but Cornell has been through five head coaches since Jim Hofher (our last winning coach) left for greener pastures in 1998. Changes definitely need to be made with the coaching staff. It's very frustrating so many of our alumni have donated to Cornell football and the university could care less. Now the university is talking about breaking up graduation because Schoellkopf is no longer a suitable facility. Martha Pollack could care less about the Ivy League. She's more interested in her political agenda than serving as our president.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Cornell graduate transfer narrows his choices

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:53:48 01/10/22 Mon

For the love of God, the term is "could not care less." It's self-evident and self-explanatory.

We're all Ivy League graduates. Talk like it.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Cornell graduate transfer narrows his choices

Author:
Lurker
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:13:28 01/10/22 Mon

Asking for a friend: should dance and prance be capitalized?

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Cornell graduate transfer narrows his choices

Author:
observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:32:19 01/10/22 Mon

you forgot ™

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Cornell graduate transfer narrows his choices

Author:
Sprint66
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:31:26 01/10/22 Mon

OK Mr. English major.........but many of us posters are busy working, traveling through airports (yeah I spend a lot of time in them) and I usually post on my phone. I apologize for not being a "Trust Baby". However, despite my busy work schedule I still try to make it to many Ivy games when time permits.

Speaking of airports I recently sat next to another Cornell graduate, class of 2007. She was a former Big Red athlete (crew), lives in NYC, and has not been back to Ithaca since she graduated. Just confirms the Cornell admin does not care.

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.