VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: WaPo article on Lia Thomas

Author:
M3
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 07:58:41 01/11/22 Tue
In reply to: Go Green 's message, "WaPo article on Lia Thomas" on 07:34:40 01/11/22 Tue

Well written article.

The idea that 2 years of hormone therapy negates 18 years of testosterone is biologically ridiculous.

Lia has every right to her sexual identity but to allow her to compete as a women is blatantly unfair.

The answer is to allow her to swim in women’s meets but her times are recorded as transgender female and are only compared to other transgender females.

Also, the fact that the Penn has gagged commentary on this issue by its own athletes is more than a little disappointing.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: WaPo article on Lia Thomas

Author:
Bengal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:40:36 01/11/22 Tue

The Ivy League's statement last week includes the comment that the League opposes transphobia and discrimination. As if concern about biological males competing in women sports as transgender females is only held by transphobic people and discriminators. The irony is, such self-righteousness ignores the rights of biological women to have fair competition.

It is difficult, maybe impossible, to have an entirely fair result. I think it is unfair for Lia to compete on women's teams, and her need to take drugs to suppress characteristics she was born with as a male to so qualify drives that home for me. I am no expert and am open to other views.

What I can't figure out is how to give Lia a fair opportunity to compete if it is not on a women's team. She identifies as a female, so requiring her to swim on the men's team is problematic for her. I don't think there are enough transgender athletes to create a separate team or competition, which itself raises issues of how universities could set that up. At the P-NC State wrestling meet, pitting number 19 v. number 5, additional matches were held that were scored but did not count in the results between the schools (a decisive 33-9 NC State win). But, as I say, that is not viable for transgender athletes right now.

Giving transgender swimmers a lane but not count in the team scoring is not a solution, IMO. It would deny a biological woman the right to compete who would otherwise have that lane.

I cannot single out Penn for its gag policy, I think every Ivy administration would likely impose it. To these administrators, teammates or opponents expressing concern about Lia participating on a women's team is equivalent with expressing concern about African Americans competing on their teams. I don't agree, but I think that is how they think.

The moderator has done a tremendous job over 20 years in maintaining a civil discussion here. Even when I have disagreed with some deletions, and non-deletions. So long as the discussion is respectful, I think this subject is appropriate for this board.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.