VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Calling Time Out at The End of Basketball Games

Author:
An Observer
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 12:27:37 01/11/22 Tue

If there's one thing that most basketball coaches, both college and professional, like to do, it's call time out at the end of games to set up a play. That is standard operating procedure for most.

But I've noticed that there are a few exceptions.

Tommy Amaker, it seems, is very comfortable letting games play out without calling time out.

Have most people on this board by now seen the end of the Cornell-Princeton game this weekend? Cornell scored the go-ahead bucket with four seconds left. Princeton had two time outs available, so had the option to script a play.

What impressed me is that the Tiger players immediately inbounded the ball without looking up to check what Henderson wanted to do. Princeton players pressed their way up court, as I have seen Harvard players do over the years.

Princeton was fortunate in that a first-year player (sophomore academically) starting his first career game had, well, the game of his college career.

He capped it off by launching a jump shot (a true jump shot, not a set shot) from about four feet behind the arc a nanosecond before time expired. It swished on its way down.

I am coming around to Amaker's belief that your job as a coach is to prepare your players well enough so that they can attack an unsettled defense without your calling a time out and providing that defense an opportunity to sub in their best defensive players and get organized.

The question is: On offense with seconds to play, do you want to run your unsettled offense against an unsettled defense *OR* do you want to run a set, scripted play against the other team's five best defensive players who have had a chance to get organized?

I think that, more often than not, you want to take your chances with the unsettled scenario.

Also, try to have your guy swish the shot as the buzzer sounds.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Calling Time Out at The End of Basketball Games

Author:
Lion Rooter
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:42:27 01/11/22 Tue

This is an interesting topic to me -- personally it drives me nuts when the last few minutes of a hoops game seems to take about half hour to complete - and I like the idea of going right to the basket with 4 seconds left instead of a time out.

while we are on this topic - it seems in college football endemic that we have players flopping "injured" so their team can get a time out --to me this is bogus. My son wrestled in college and he said he did it as well - so not sure how NCAA can address this. Honestly, the guys lay there to really put on a good performance then usually walk back to the bench and are shortly back in the game.

Icing the kicker with a time out -- not sure that is wrong but always annoying.

I guess there was a time out issue with the Harvard - Princeton game ?

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: Consider the source

Author:
joiseyfan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:35:14 01/12/22 Wed

Let’s remember who recruited Henderson. We repeat a story for relative newbies here.

In early 1975, Princeton was on the road at UVA, a veteran team featuring juniors Armond Hill and Barnes Hauptfuehrer. One assistant was at home coaching the frosh, the other recruiting, so Pete Carril was the only coach on the trip. With the Tigers up two, a couple minutes into the second half the touchy refs gave Pete his second T, and he was sent to the locker room. On his way, he turned to junior Pete Malloy and told him the team was his. (Intriguingly, he was NOT a captain, they were Hill and Mickey Steurer.) The Tigers won 55-50.

On Carril’s retirement in 1996, SI’s Alex Wolff retold the story and called it Carril’s all-time favorite.

[> [> Subject: Bill Carmody

Author:
Tiger81
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:27:57 01/12/22 Wed

There is another story from Tiger hoops lore that reinforces the “let them play” narrative.

At a Holiday Festival Tournament game in Madison Square Garden during their epic 26-1 season in 1997-98, Bill Carmody called timeout after the team was struggling against Niagara’s zone: ''The kids were asking me what to do,'' Carmody said. ''I told them: 'You are juniors and seniors. Figure it out.’''

The team’s PG? Mitch Henderson

https://www.nytimes.com/1997/12/29/sports/college-basketball-26-1-princeton-says-rest-of-its-schedule-is-no-holiday.html

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Bill Carmody

Author:
joiseyfan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:23:29 01/12/22 Wed

That article also recalled one of the barely believable stats from that team — they had assists on 70% of their made baskets for the SEASON. Including, and focused around Goodrich as one of the great point centers, of course.

I do believe Niagara was the only complete game they hit 100% though.

Author:
Dr. V
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:58:42 01/12/22 Wed

Re end of game situations, I've long wondered about the following. All of the teams in the Ivies play man D and only occasionally play some zone, but I presume that each team has practiced playing zone. If at the end of a game the team without the ball has been playing man for the entire game and now faces its opponent that will get the ball with, say 4 or 5 seconds on the clock, why not throw up a zone? It always takes an offense time to adjust to a zone and in a zone the entire defense is facing and can see exactly what the offense may try to do in those last 4 or 5 seconds.

Author:
Bengal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:58:34 01/12/22 Wed

During JTIII's tenure, Yale was up by one with 10 or 15 seconds left in New Haven, and missed a shot. Princeton came down with the ball and won the game without having called time out. JTIII or one of the players later called it a scramble play, letting the team play it out without interrupting the flow with an interruption. That was the coach's decision. I think it was Venable who put in the final points. I think it was also the game where the incipient Mrs. Bengal vowed never to attend another P sporting event with me due to the embarrassment over my audience participation which can occasionally attract attention from rows around. At least at Yale.

[> [> Subject: Re: Calling Time Out at The End of Basketball Games

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:34:10 01/13/22 Thu

Your use of the adjective "incipient" to describe the woman who eventually Mrs. Bengal became intrigues me.

Presumably, she found your audience participation behavior mortifying, but not so much that she would discontinue the dating dance, nor decline the opportunity to become Mrs. Bengal.

It sounds like she found you embarrassing to squire her at Payne-Whitney, but the rest of your game was top notch.

Author:
Bengal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:27:13 01/13/22 Thu

Mrs. B would probably say persistent rather than top-notch, LOL. Cheers.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Calling Time Out at The End of Basketball Games

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:39:38 01/13/22 Thu

It sounds to me that it was Mrs Bengal who was persistent. And can you blame her?

Congratulations to her for closing the deal.

Author:
joiseyfan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:39:08 01/13/22 Thu

In my experience, an orange and black rugby jersey is well nigh unto irresistible to the preferred sex, especially if one proposes on Halloween.

Go Tiger.

Author:
Ghost of 1968
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:44:07 01/16/22 Sun

Dr. V, I am a bit surprised by your strategy with the game on the line. "Throw up a zone"?, something you don't ever use in late game situations (remember everyone sees every game)? Don't you want to use your best defense? A zone allows you to get an open look for your opponents' best shooters with no pressure to get it in bounds.

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.