VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Prep School recruiting

Author:
parent
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 11:48:22 01/13/22 Thu
In reply to: ivy guy 's message, "Prep School recruiting" on 09:47:15 10/01/21 Fri

Great thread.
I have a decades of experience (as player, coach, parent in NE prep league) on this topic.
I have also lived in Texas for many years and I am highly involved in high school football here in the Lonestar state.
First point I would make is “everything” has changed compared to 30 or so years ago for High School Football. I see a bunch of generalizations being made on this topic that very well could have been true years ago---but not today.
Today high school football is a national recruiting game—key tools that helped created this, of course, include internet, ease of uploading video, sites like 24/7, and organizations like FBU.
The top NE Preps are pretty solid teams from a national point of view. However, to gain entry into the Top 50 rankings that several publications produce, NE preps will need to travel out of league.
Sadly, this tends to be the exception vs. the rule.
Maxprep will, by tradition, include Ohio and Georgia’s state champs in the top national rankings without those schools playing out of league. But for Choate or Loomis to gain entry they must travel to Florida, Texas, Ohio, California, or even NJ to earn entry onto those top lists.
At the moment, the top NE Prep programs seem uninterested as their school leaderships are under heavy pressure to put resources into many things “other than football”.
As for the top players in the NE prep league, they have LONG AGO set their sights on 1A/FCS football.
The IVY league is recruiting the “second tier” of players in the NE Prep league.
This is no longer even a debate, and you can see the All-Ivy list as a perfect example of that---the top NE prep kids are going to Michigan, Bama, West Virginia, Stanford---just like kids in Texas---they don’t want to play in the Ivy League without a chance to even compete for the 1AA Natty, and get zero NIL money.
Making matters worse, the “40 years vs. 4 year” argument for kids to go Ivy vs. FCS is no longer as strong when the jobs and economic growth in the USA are in places like Texas and Florida where the value of an IVY degree (vs. SEC, ACC) could arguably be worse, not better, in terms of joining the biz community.
Next, I have attended two IMG games in person. One against Bergen Catholic and the other against Duncanville. Both opponents are perennial powers in NJ and Texas. In both cases IMG went onto blow out wins. The big reason I saw is IMG shows up with 52 guys that are between 3 and 5 star guys and they all play special teams too. IMG, and some others at this level, are running national all-star teams---not cohesive from a spirit point of view, and zero fan base, but super talented. Bergen and Duncanville had great fight in them, and I respect them for taking the game, but they were just outclassed.
Finally, this year’s Westlake team in Texas was a public-school exception that could play with the IMG’s of the world. Three straight championships and I have watched them play a dozen times in last 5 years. The reason is not just because of their 5-star QB and some 4 star skill guys---but because they had Westlake had the best O line in the USA. Ironically, a Westlake team captain and University of Texas OL commit, is from---drum roll….a NE Prep school!
His family moved to Texas two years ago (along with another CT player) ---to get on field as NE canceled school.
The outcome interesting---both players arrived with just 1AA interest---and both left with state champ rings, a captain honor, and commits to Power 5 schools.
One may wonder if this experience means the NE kids are actually underrecruited by the Power 5

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Re: Prep School recruiting

Author:
ivy guy (agree parent)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:08:41 01/13/22 Thu

parent
Thanks for your thoughtful contrrribution.

I agree with most of your assessment.
Prep Schools are a good source of academically prepared, Ivy-focused players.
I also agree that recruitng has become a national game, with great athletes being targeted from large and small schools in all 50 states.
I also agree that the top tier Prep athletes (a small number in total, given the size of the teams) are getting picked off by elite programs.
My only departure is the sheer volume of D1 talent coming out of Florida, Georgia, and Texas. Schools like IMG, Bergen, St. Thomas Aquinas, and Duncanville are loaded with big, fast, college-ready players.2nd teamers can be successful in many FCS and most BCS programs.

When looking at the annual uptake of IL football teams (~28 per school,225 for the entire IL per year) even with high academic entry requirments, there is plenty of good players nationwide.

The challenge is for the IL schools to get on the radar of coaches, and players in their HS sophomore and junior years. Among prep schools and northeast high schools--this is a given. Less so in many HS football hotbeds.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: Re: Prep School recruiting

Author:
Two Cents
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:14:07 01/13/22 Thu

Westlake, TX and Lake Travis, TX have been the two primary district powers in Austin for past 10 years. Several of the top players from these teams over the years have played in Ivies - under the radar types who could have played FBS but looked at the long term benefits of an Ivy education. Including:

Reed Klubnik - Yale ( think he still may hold Westlake all time receiving record)

Luke Hutton - Harvard ( two time first team all district LB at Lake Travis)

Daniel Aidman - Brown ( first team all district LB at Westlake)

Max Mangum - Harvard ( first team all district DB at Westlake)

Abe Willows - Penn ( first team all district RB at Lake Travis)

[> [> Subject: Re: Prep School recruiting

Author:
Bengal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:07:54 01/13/22 Thu

Thanks, Parent. Good to have your input. I have no insights about team comparisons other than the admittedly imperfect national rankings.

In September 2015, I see MaxPreps reported that #19 IMG defeated #20 Bergen Catholic 59-47. Did they play each other more recently?

Anyway, MaxPreps listed BC at number 3 this year. USA Today Super 25 had them at #4. FWIW.

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.