VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Weather in Northeast

Author:
An Observer
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 11:41:15 01/15/22 Sat
In reply to: ivy guy 's message, "Weather in Northeast" on 09:46:17 01/15/22 Sat

I remember in high school when I was visiting colleges. Some places, I just got a pleasant vibe. Other places, no.

As I've thought about the process over the years, I have to acknowledge that part of the equation was weather.

Sometimes you show up on a college campus and kids are out playing frisbee in the courtyards, somebody has a speaker sitting in his or her windowsill blasting out music, coeds are walking around in cutoffs and sports bras, everybody seems happy. Other places, people are scurrying about with their heads down.

It's on these intangible assessments that college decisions are made. I now realize that, as silly as it sounds, weather made a difference.

I don't think it should, by the way. I've always held in low esteem high school students who say they are choosing Duke or Emory because of the nice climate. You'll have the rest of your life to live where it's sunny. Don't forego the one chance you'll ever have to take advantage of going to the best college which will admit you.

I wonder how much harder it will be to convince a three-star recruit from Florida or Georgia to go Ivy when he shows up on one of our campuses and cannot imagine fighting through the frigid winters. It's ten degrees outside as I type this.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Weather in Northeast

Author:
Two Cents
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:54:50 01/15/22 Sat

Good points. Same holds true with teams like Notre Dame, Michigan, Penns State and Wisconsin going up against the SEC powers in recruiting 4 and 5 stars. Think if you were an 18 year old kid visiting cold and gray South Bend in January compared to Florida, Bama, Georgia or Texas AM. Not to mention the female population at the SEC schools, the generally lower academic standards and the booster inducements.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: Weather in Northeast

Author:
Bengal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:42:08 01/15/22 Sat

Yes, but then the ND recruits see the Four Horsemen outlined against a blue-gray sky…

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.