VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: This Is Why We Love Football

Author:
Memphis Bill
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 17:52:36 01/17/22 Mon
In reply to: An Observer 's message, "This Is Why We Love Football" on 20:07:06 01/16/22 Sun

The game ending play certainly has provoked a great deal of discussion. On the late broadcast on NBC, Tony Dungy said that his practice was never to call a running play with no timeouts when there is less than 18 seconds on the clock (Cowboys pre called the QB draw with only 14 seconds left). Prescott should have gone into a slide once he got into range to run a non-Hail Mary into the endzone (i.e., a normal pass play with multiple routes going across the goal line). Even with his taking another couple of seconds off the clock by running too far, It looked to me that, even having run too far, Prescott could have squeezed in a spike if he had the presence of mind NOT to place the ball on the ground, but rather to have kept the ball in hand, located the Umpire, and handed him the ball (with direction to his linemen to let the Umpire through, as the umpire now is located behind the ball, and last night in Arlington was chugging up the field to catch up to the ball) to place the ball down and allow one last snap and spike.

I also appreciated Bill Cowher's comment that a $2 billion stadium should not have been laid out on an East-West axis. (critics of the Yale Bowl on this board should know that it is laid out, a la Stonehenge, so that the sun lines up with the 50 yard line at noon on November 20).

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Re: This Is Why We Love Football

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:15:39 01/17/22 Mon

All the sports talking heads today ripped the Cowboys for that last call. I saw it as Memphis Bill did. If Prescott had just been told to look for the umpire the moment he popped up from his slide, I think he is able to spike the ball and get off a normal pass play on the last snap.

80% of the sports chatter today was about the 49er's-Cowboys game. It's as if the other four games over the weekend barely happened.

The vast, vast majority of football stadiums/a are laid out on a north-south axis. I guess Jerry Jones did not think that was necessary for an indoor stadium. What he forgot is that the beautiful (they really are sharp) windows on the upper level of the bowl let the sun in during the late afternoon.

I love the anecdote about the alignment of the Yale Bowl. I will probably spread the story as well, but it's not true. Any look at the map will show that.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: Re: This Is Why We Love Football

Author:
Memphis Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:25:49 01/18/22 Tue

Well, maybe they didn’t get the Yale Bowl perfectly aligned, but then again, I think it cost only $300,000. Hard dollars back in 1913-14!

Dak Prescott should have known the protocol for having the umpire allow the play to start.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: This Is Why We Love Football

Author:
bulldog10jw
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:05:49 01/19/22 Wed

“The designers positioned the Bowl so that the minor axis points to the sun at 3 p.m. on November 15. Thus no football player would ever have to look into the sun when Yale plays its big games against Princeton and Harvard.”—Charles Ferry, Class of 1871S (1852–1924), one of the Bowl’s designers, in a 1916 report to the American Society of Civil Engineers

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.