VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Are you kidding???

Author:
Tiger81
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 13:13:02 01/20/22 Thu
In reply to: Grin and Bear it 's message, "Are you kidding???" on 15:22:33 01/19/22 Wed

I don't begrudge college football coaches from sharing in the riches from the P5 money machine. Those are hard, risky jobs and good coaches earn their salaries.

And it is also time for players to shares in those riches and reap the same rewards for being world-class athletes and entertainers.

To me the sad part is all of the role players (and the injured stars) who are so critical to the success of a college football team but who get only a scholarship for their efforts plus a lifetime of damage to their bodies and brains. Free market forces have been unleashed for coaches and now, thanks to NIL, healthy star players. Not so much for the other guys.

Unfortunately, the advent of NIL, the portal and free agency also means the part of college football I like best as a fan, which is the continuity and development of players and a team over a period of years, is now rapidly becoming a relic of the past for the P5. I think the impact on our beloved Ivy League will be minimal since at least right now institutional loyalty and commitment to academics is offsetting the glory of playing on a bigger stage for most of our student athletes.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Re: Are you kidding???

Author:
Ghost of 1961
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:39:23 01/20/22 Thu

C'mon, Tiger. If the very best recruits in the Ivy League were offered scholarships to play in the ACC, you really think 'institutional loyalty' would come into play? I would think those moms and dads who've invested years of following their kids around to football camps, high school games, etc. would think differently about institutional loyalty. If you're a competitor, you want to play against the best.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: Re: Are you kidding???

Author:
Tiger81
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:55:47 01/20/22 Thu

Ghost - my point was that I don’t think the advent of the transfer portal will have a big impact on the league. Many of the “very best recruits” in the Ivies have already turned down P5 scholarships to attend their chosen school, presumably with the blessing of their moms and dads. It is not clear to me why they would now choose to transfer. I may not understand how a 19-year old thinks anymore, that is certainly possible, but that is my best guess.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Are you kidding???

Author:
Ghost of 1961
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:33:20 01/20/22 Thu

My bad, Tiger. I thought you were talking about kids coming out of HS with a P5 schollie (not a preferred walk-on). Yes, once you're locked in on a campus, trying to transfer 'up' is quite complicated.

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.