VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Are you kidding???

Author:
Drew2411
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 21:21:14 01/20/22 Thu
In reply to: Grin and Bear it 's message, "Are you kidding???" on 15:22:33 01/19/22 Wed

Many? Seriously doubt many of the very best had commitable offers to power 5 schools, especially in football. Maybe Princeton, Harvard and Yale have a couple. But don’t confuse a kid saying he has an offer with a commitable offer. Rouse at Yale found that out.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Re: Are you kidding???

Author:
Tiger81
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:48:53 01/21/22 Fri

Drew - Yes, seriously: Princeton has 21 commitments so far for 2022, of those 9 have P5 offers (some multiple P5 offers), assuming you believe the trackers at 247. 9/21 is a fair description of "many of the very best" recruits in the league.

You can't dismiss HYP as being unrepresentative because they attract a disproportionate number of the Ivy's elite recruits who might choose to enter the transfer portal. And my point was that I don't think many of them will pursue that option.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: Re: Are you kidding???

Author:
Ed
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:13:36 01/24/22 Mon

Tiger/Bengal/Drew - curious about your take on something. In the past 4-5 years, Princeton has loaded up on 3 star recruits with Multiple FBS offers. Same thing with Harvard and Yale. They significantly out-recruit Dartmouth. Yet Dartmouth has the best record in the league during past 5 seasons and they are repeat Ivy Champions. What is Dartmouth doing differently than HYP?

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Are you kidding???

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:24:22 01/24/22 Mon

I don't think it's even a matter of speculation. Dartmouth does a better job of developing players after they arrive on campus, as well as scheming and game planning to take maximum advantage of the talent they have.

Jimmy's and Joe's usually carry the day, but coaching plus X's and O's still count for something. Kudos to Buddy and his staff.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Are you kidding???

Author:
Bengal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:19:06 01/24/22 Mon

I note the "stars" and all offers publicly mentioned but, while I do not discount them entirely, let alone compare them across teams, I am a moderate skeptic regarding them. How these star systems purport to rank stars among a million plus high school footballers leaves me a bit dubious.

As discussed on this board, not all "offers" are firm, and it is often very difficult based on what is published to tell which are real offers.

The people who have the best handle on the level of talent entering the League schools each year are the League coaches, IMO. They see a lot of recruits one way or another, whether they end up at their school or not. They also probably have a better sense of how players develop once in the League, with all the film watching and game planning they do.

So, I will take others' word who look at these metrics closely that Surace has more recruits with higher star ratings or Power 5-offered players or both than Teevens. Does he outrecruit Teevens for talent? Maybe, but I don't know and would prefer to get the views of Bagnoli, Reno, Priore et al. than whoever is doing the stars or reporting the offers.

In terms of developing players, Surace and his staff have done a great job and I don't doubt in the recent period of years so has Teevens.

Two things in your post are much more interesting to me. One is the bottomline. After his 2-20 start, which had some Tiger fans prepared to put him on or under the Dinky, he turned it around bigtime and has 4 titles in the last 8 years, starting in his fourth year. These are the best results since 1969 if not earlier. So, how many stars or Power 5 offers his recruits get vs. what another coach gets do not particularly mean too much to me.

The other is regarding Teevens II, how he turned around a 9-41 start complete with an 0-10 season in the middle, and even tacked on a sixth straight losing Ivy season. At least 6 of our schools would have fired him after year 5 or 6. This has also been discussed elsewhere, but I will start with crediting DC administrators for retaining him. Cheers.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: P.S.

Author:
Bengal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:01:58 01/24/22 Mon

That should have read "or reported Power 5-offered players"

[> [> Subject: Re: Are you kidding???

Author:
Tiger81
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:37:29 01/24/22 Mon

Ed - cannot argue with your premise, Dartmouth continues to put a very strong team on the field every year despite not having the same credentials on paper as HYP's teams. I can only speculate that Coach Teevens does a really good job of recruiting for development potential and the scheme and culture of his team and then the coaching staff follows through by preparing these recruits to succeed in their system.

Coach Surace also does a good job of elevating the performance of Princeton's young players and the Tigers probably have more depth on their roster. But as another poster likes to say, you can only play 11 at a time.

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.