VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12[3]4 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 16:00:58 06/09/04 Wed
Author: RockyBDog
Subject: Re: WIU recruiting class 21st
In reply to: Leatherhead 's message, "WIU recruiting class 21st" on 16:59:16 06/08/04 Tue

Here are the players that are returning:
Gray
Archie
Lenoir
Lewis
Genslinger
Schmit

Cole left the team (violation of team policy). Perhaps this step up in basketball may push Coach Patterson to recruit even better players than he currently does.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> [> Re: WIU recruiting class 21st -- wiutsuoru, 18:25:36 06/09/04 Wed

Good to see WIU win the Mid-Con Commissioner's trophy. Congrats to the men for winning the Men's All Sport,and, the women who finished second in the Women's All Sport Awards.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: WIU recruiting class 21st -- wiuato, 09:20:23 06/10/04 Thu

I think Coach P. is doing fine in recruiting. The FB program is not lacking, it is the BBall program that has been terrible and maybe with a few wins, people will come. Maybe the the Athletic dept. could do more promotional gigs as they did back in the day such as: Halftime entertainment, concert post-game, free food items with special coupon, giveaways etc. There is no reason that this school should not get atleast 3000 fans at games, the students get in free for god sakes. More Macombites would attend with lower ticket prices because 8-9.00 is alot for a program of this caliber.

Something is wrong here that needs fixing and it is not necessarily the teams fault(W's & L's), there needs to be some creative thinking going on in the Athletic dept. to right the ship or it will sink beyond belief. I have it! Get out of the un-interesting Mid-Con! No natural rivals or regular regional battles outside of Valpo. Fact is, nobody cares about seeing anyone in the Mid-Con except for maybe Valpo so if a conference move is not a possibility, then schedule more home nc games with close MVC, and Horizon schools. Many of these schools are former Mid-Con and rival schools so this may help in attendance. I honestly do not believe that lets say WIU goes 26-0 during the season that anymore than 2500 average will attend games because of lack of interest in who is playing the NECKS.

If the FB program jumped ship to say the OVC or the GWFC for example do you think our attendance would stay above 8,000? No, why? Because in the GFC, there are natural rivals along with regional ones. at one time there was ISU, EIU and SIU for state bragging rights then UNI for king-of-the-hill rights. These games are big, EIU opted out because they could not take the heat and we now have a top 1-aa school in YSU and recently a good WKU program. Quality conference opponents + decent non-conf + Wins = SUCCESS!

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: WIU recruiting class 21st -- wiutsuoru, 14:04:58 06/10/04 Thu

I totally agree. I've said as much on earlier posts.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: WIU recruiting class 21st -- Smack, 14:32:26 06/14/04 Mon

I don't think Keith Archie is coming back because of grade problems. As far as the attendance problem is concerned, I'm not sure that changing conferences is the solution. I understand about regional rivalries, but when Centenary out draws us on the season average, I think that the problem is deeper. Look at it this way, what conference would accept a school that draws less than 1500 to a game? USA? Valley? Horizon? I realize that playing those type of teams would help with bringing people to a game but you have to have a solid base to start with. I agree that marketing and entertainment is a step in the right direction. Student and community support are the keys and must somehow be enticed to come out and support the program. Maybe getting to the NCAA tournament would help. Nothing builds tradition like winning.
On a side note, From what I hear the whole team, new recruits and returnees, are all going to summer classes and working out. Hmmm..... could be an interesting year.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: WIU recruiting class 21st -- wiuato, 11:07:07 06/15/04 Tue

If WIU was in the 3 conferences you mentioned they would be drawing around 3000 atleast. And there are teams in 2 of those conf.'s that draw arounf what WIU does. Believe me, there is definite interest in playing teams like SIU, ILST, Bradley, UIC, Loyola and the old Mid-Con schools who now play in other conf.'s.

If WIU could bring in a big name school once a year to play in Macomb and wrap a special promo around it, you would easily see 5-6000+ squeeze into Western Hall. Butttttt, on the attendance thing how many actually show up since students get in free and there is no actual turnstyles to calculate numbers only ticket sales. Same goes for football, how do they calculate this? I have wondered for a long time.

[ Edit | View ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.