VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12[3]4 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 15:50:57 04/12/05 Tue
Author: wiutsuoru
Subject: Can the MidCon ever move up?

What can the conference do to improve their image in D1 athletics? Looking at scores in all sports- thanks to a good MidCon site-whether it be soccer, BB,swimming or whatever, when a conference school plays a legit D1 school, more than likely they get slapped silly. A lot of folks wouldn't agree, but some athletic officials( coaches or admin types, from D1 or D2)view the MidCon as a really strong D2 sports conference. Is this as good as it gets?Are there plans for increased credibility?Is it entirely money? Are the schools generally satisfied with this- at least they can call themselves D1.
Not intended to be a negative diatribe, but, reality is reality.Maybe this is the best situation for member schools. Resources are limited in many places.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: Can the MidCon ever move up? -- wiuato, 11:18:01 04/13/05 Wed

I disagree with you on the perceived d-2 label. The Mid-Con has some very solid & competetive programs and schools who can regularly compete with upper D-1 programs. Remember, not all d-1 schools are hugely successful in all sports. In fact, many create a name in one single sport and alot of us automatically think they are powerhouses in all areas. The Mid-Con overall competes just as well as other s0-called mid-major conferences like the MVC, Horizon, OVC, Sunbelt to name a few. I think in the high profile sports like Basketball many followers feel the Mid-Con is horrible and representative in all sports as being the same but the truth is the Mid-Con schools can and do compete with many of the upper tier schools and very favorably with the fellow mid-majors.

Here are some examples of area D-1 schools and their sports quality:

WIU: Great football, below avg. basketball(mens), above avg. basketball(womens), avg, baseball, above avg. softball, rest avg.

ISU: Below avg. football, avg. basketball(m), below avg. basketball (w), avg. baseball, avg. softball, rest avg.

Bradley: Avg. basketball(m), below avg. basketball(w), avg. baseball, below avg. softball, rest below avg.

NIU: Slightly above ave. fotball, avg. basketball(m), below avg. basketball(w), below avg. baseball, below avg. softball, rest avg.

EIU: Pretty much below avg overall.

SIU: Above avg. basketball(m), overall everything else avg.

Now, this is historically speaking in the past 10-15 years as teams have moved up and around. WIU ranks pretty well if not better overall and very competitively with all schools including U of Illinois individually.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Can the MidCon ever move up? -- wiutsuoru, 16:00:32 04/13/05 Wed

Yes, you are probably right. Some people kick at the dog, I guess I have chosen the MidCon sometimes. Your points make me wish Western could go toe to toe more often with the other schools in Illinois to demonstrate they do have a good all round athletic program.Perhaps the MidCon should toot it's own horn more often. Western had a lady advance in the NCAA shot put last year- I think she ended up in the top ten.More publicity for the "lesser" sports could help.
My late New Years resolution is to stop jabbing at the MidCon. I still think they need more positive publicity to overcome some misperceptions.However, it does provide many athletes a chance to test themselves with others. Go MidCon!

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Can the MidCon ever move up? -- Neckfansince71, 18:32:20 04/13/05 Wed

The track athlete you are referring to is Aubrey Martin jr.who finished 6th this year in the shot put at the indoor NCAA's. Rob Pfank also finished 10th in the weight throw and should do even better in the hammer throw outdoors. Mike Stevenson has slowly but surely improved both the mens and womens track teams. Chris Adams is also doing quite well in the 200 and 400. The girls are also led in the distance events by Sarah Swain. WIU also has a pole vaulter who is really improving.

I agree that WIU has done quite well against other Illinois schools in track and field, baseball, and softball.

The problem with the MidCon seems to be the distance between the top and the bottom from a pr standpoint in basketball. I know Stan Hyman has scheduled an unbelievable schedule for baseball, but when you are up and coming you have absolutely no choice.

So lets say WKU leaves the Gateway for the MidAM. That would allow North Dakota State to step into the Gateway and the MidCon!!! Why not! I like that better than IPFW.

All I know is, next year I am going to have an eye in the sky living in Baylis Hall, my number 2 offspring who is definitely into athletics and will be a great fan. Can't wait for her observations!!!

jc

[ Edit | View ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.