VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12[3]4 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 06:00:40 05/04/05 Wed
Author: Mole54
Subject: TJ leaving

TJ Gray will be leaving the WIU basketball program and don't be surprised to see Allan McFarlane not return next season as well. This will give Thomas two scholarship slots to use for Sammy Hunter, who just committed last weekend, and one for Xavier Price to transfer in from Purdue. With the scholarship that was freed up with David Genslinger dropping out of the program, Thomas can also give one to Lorenzo Taylor out of Alton HS next fall instead of walking on. Taylor will probably redshirt anyway. Price can now have his tuition paid while he sits out the mandatory one year next season. A lot of new faces with the loss of Baez, Lewis, Gray, Genslinger, McFarlane and Brian Schmit who is also rumored to be not returning although he was a walk-on anyway.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: TJ leaving -- wiutsuoru, 10:11:49 05/04/05 Wed

What's going on? Is this a good thing or bad thing for the future of Western BB? Is Price - or Hunter -big time players? Who's left for next year- with experience?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: TJ leaving -- Mole54, 12:11:59 05/04/05 Wed

It would appear that this is a good thing. Evidently, TJ was not happy about his reduced playing time last season although I thought he performed well for the most part. But with the talented corps of guards (meaning big) that Thomas is bringing in, TJ's time on the floor would probably have been even less this next season. The last thing that Thomas needs (or wants) is someone with a less than team concept attitude. I've heard good things about some of the recruits who played in some pick up games against some of the players while on official visits. Thomas has a potentially awesome class that should fill some holes next season and keep the program on the rise.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: TJ leaving -- wiuato, 13:18:36 05/04/05 Wed

It is a good thing since Genslinger, mcFarland and Schmidt were dead weight. Thomas is replacing that dead weight with seemingly effective bodies. This team could realistically go 12 deep next season or 2.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: TJ leaving -- wiutsuoru, 15:44:44 05/04/05 Wed

Sounds good!

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: TJ leaving -- Neckfansince71, 17:27:59 05/04/05 Wed

I think this is a good example of the "evolution" of a program. Not everyone is a good fit, especially if the talent level continues to esculate. I would be concerned if Jackson or Kentle were leaving, but instead the players leaving are fringe players who a couple of years ago we would have been counting on. Thomas is basically basically working the talent, manipulating the talent pool and making the most out of the available scholarships....WIU is truly on the way, a power to be reckoned with for years to come!!!!

jc

PS. By the way, my daughter had the game winning single tonight versurs West Chicago, scored two runs for the 3-2 win. Remember, "lightning only strikes those who believe!" "lightning only strikes those who believe!" "lightning only strikes those who believe!" "lightning only strikes those who believe!" "lightning only strikes those who believe!"

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: TJ leaving -- RockyBDog, 11:55:50 05/09/05 Mon

Just read WIU has the 46th best recruiting class in the country (not counting Price)
http://www.hoopscooponline.com/members/toprecruitingclassestodatefortheclassof2005-2005.html

Is Coach Thomas done signing players for the year? Perhaps this chart will help

Here: Gone:
Samuel Schmidt
Gonzalez Gray
Mahorn Genslinger
Price (will sit 1 year) McFarland
Taylor
Hunter

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> Re: TJ leaving -- Smack, 04:12:20 05/12/05 Thu

I think we can look forward to challenging the upper half of the league next year and make some noise. Is winning the touney in 2007 realistic? I think so. The talent level has really increased.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: TJ leaving -- RockyBDog, 11:57:44 05/09/05 Mon

Just read WIU has the 46th best recruiting class in the country (not counting Price)
http://www.hoopscooponline.com/members/toprecruitingclassestodatefortheclassof2005-2005.html

Is Coach Thomas done signing players for the year? Perhaps this chart will help

Here:
Samuel
Gonzalez Mahorn
Price (will sit 1 year)
Taylor
Hunter

Gone:
Genslinger
Schmidt
Gray
McFarland

Looking forward to next year!!

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> Re: TJ leaving -- Mole54, 06:42:11 05/10/05 Tue

That should take care of next year's class. All of the current scholarships, I believe, are now spoken for. Thomas will have, as of now, two more scholarships after next season plus he will have Price and Taylor on board besides.

[ Edit | View ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.