VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4] ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 11:25:35 11/10/03 Mon
Author: Starter
Subject: Matt Doherty Visits Leatherneck Basketball Practice

Matt Doherty Visits Leatherneck Basketball Practice

Former North Carolina and Notre Dame coach Matt Doherty, who has known Coach Thomas for 15 years, was a special guest at the Leathernecks' practice Sunday.

MACOMB, Ill. - Western Illinois University’s men’s basketball program received a visit from former North Carolina and Notre Dame head coach Matt Doherty at today’s practice. Doherty spoke to the team on what it might face on the road to a conference title.

“What I see is a team that is very organized, enthusiastic, you go hard in practice and you have a lot of talent,” Doherty commented to the team.

Doherty, who said he is taking a one-year sabbatical from coaching to visit various programs around the country, do some work with ESPN and CSTV, and attend some NBA camps, was given the opportunity to come to Macomb by Western Illinois head coach Derek Thomas. The two have known each other for 15 years, dating to when Thomas was a high school coach in St. Louis and Doherty was an assistant at Kansas.

“I’ve been to Michigan, Michigan State, Iowa State, and some other programs,” Doherty continued, “just to watch how teams are run. This meant a lot to me for Derek to reach out and give me this opportunity.”

The 2000-01 Associated Press National Coach of the Year challenged the Leatherneck team to stick together through whatever adversity might come this year, to trust their coaches and believe in themselves, and to play as a team.

“Imagine a shelf right outside your lockeroom,” Doherty said. “Every time you step out of the locker room and onto the court, put your pride and your ego on that shelf. Don’t care about individual honors. I was part of a 1982 North Carolina team that won the national title. We had James Worthy, Sam Perkins, Michael Jordan, and nobody remembers who the leading scorer was on that team. They just remember that we won the championship.”

“Coach Thomas is a rising star in the collegiate profession because of his extensive background with coach Charlie Spoonhour and coach Lon Kruger both in college and the NBA,” Doherty remarked about the first-year Leatherneck mentor. “But his ability to communicate with young people while setting a good example as a person and a role model for his players is what sets him apart.”

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: Matt Doherty Visits Leatherneck Basketball Practice -- velda, 11:26:26 02/23/04 Mon

Matt you should go to manhattan college if bobby gonzalez leaves. youll be great there.

[ Edit | View ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.