VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4] ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 10:48:25 03/28/04 Sun
Author: RockyBDog
Subject: Leatherneck Basketball

I thought I would get some opinions on the Leatherneck Basketball team. I think they will be vastly improved from last year. Eulis Baez is supposed to be one of the Mid-Con's top players. Also, I don't know if any VIP atletic people read the board, but I would like to suggest some games for next year:

Iowa (Already on the schedule, but a great pick up.)
Bradley (Why did they leave the schedule?)
Il. St. (See above)
N. Iowa, SIU, SMS (Why not play these teams?; we play them in Football)

I welcome any thoughts to this subject.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: Leatherneck Basketball -- Smack, 21:39:24 03/29/04 Mon

Hey, glad to see some interest in WIU basketball. I see next years schedule has been down-graded a bit. With 2 big games against Iowa and UCLA the rest is with teams more our level. Coach Thomas will have his first full recruiting class coming in so we will be a little on the young side, but with the guys coming back that have bought into his system I think we will be ok. The MVC teams are under orders to up-grade their schedules in order to improve the conference RPI. So playing them might be a little more difficult, plus the improved recruiting has turned some of the MVC teams off thinking that we would be a for sure win for them.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Leatherneck Basketball -- wiutsuoru, 05:13:00 03/30/04 Tue

Sounds like you have seen a tentative schedule. Just wondering who the teams considered to be "more our level" are?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Leatherneck Basketball -- Smack, 10:31:11 03/31/04 Wed

Eastern Ill, Drake, Cal. State Northridge, Evansville, Harris Stowe, Utah Valley State. These are teams we can compete with and win. It does little good when your trying to turn a program around to get you butt kicked by 2 or 3 Big Ten teams and teams like UNLV. Confidence is such an important factor in basketball and that only comes from winning and working hard. I think Coach Thomas is on the right track, of course it can't get much lower.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Leatherneck Basketball -- RockyBDog, 12:32:00 03/31/04 Wed

Smack,
I like these teams, except for Harris Stowe. I agree that we don't have to go play powerhouses every game, but Harris Stowe seems to be an NAIA school. I think we need a few big games (Iowa, UCLA) and should fill the rest of the schedule with the other teams. After doing some research, I think we match up well with the other teams. Would you mind sharing more of the tenative schedule with me and other 'Neck fans?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Leatherneck Basketball -- Smack, 21:18:59 03/31/04 Wed

Sorry, that's all I got for now. I don't know anything about Harris Stowe, if they are NAIA or not. I think the schedule will get better in the coming years as the team improves. There are just so many roadblocks because of where WIU is located. By that I mean the lack of an airport within a reasonable distance. What do You think?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Leatherneck Basketball -- RockyBDog, 07:21:33 04/01/04 Thu

I was wondering how many scholorships WIU has left. I am hoping we have a few left, so we can snag some people during the spring signing season. I think they should go JUCO, if possible. I think we could use AT LEAST 1 or 2 guards (to replace Carter, Welsh, and Summers) and a JUCO center, if possible.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: Leatherneck Basketball -- Smack, 14:51:21 04/05/04 Mon

The info I have is that all scholarships have been used for this incoming class. A 2 guard who is about 6-5, a 6-9 shooting forward, 6-9 center are the frosh and a 6-8 juco power forward. I seems Coach Thomas has put a premium on height. I've seen the David Jackson play (6-5 guard) and he can shoot lights out, Kyle Lasek (6-9 center) is mostly interior defense. He'll need to develope an offensive game, but I'm not sure that thats what will be expected of him.

[ Edit | View ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.