VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4] ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 18:48:41 08/06/03 Wed
Author: Starter
Subject: Baseball adds former pro player to staff

FORMER PRO PLAYER JOINS WESTERN ILLINOIS BASEBALL STAFF
Schaub played for Hyman prior to career with Milwaukee
August 6, 2003
Contact Shana Daniels

Former pro pitcher Greg Schaub, and his wife Kate, left, are welcomed to Macomb by Western Illinois head baseball coach Stan Hyman and his wife Robin. Schaub traded in his Milwaukee Brewers cap for a Western Illinois
lid and a position on the Leatherneck baseball coaching staff.

MACOMB, Ill. -Stan Hyman always knew that someday his former player, Greg Schaub, would become a member of his coaching staff. However, Hyman never thought it would happen so soon.

Schaub, who was selected in the third round of the Major League Baseball draft in 1995 by the Milwaukee Brewers, has been named as a new assistant coach on the Western Illinois baseball staff. The 26-year-old pitcher/outfielder played for Hyman on the East Coast prior to his professional career.

Former pro pitcher Greg Schaub, and his wife Kate, left, are welcomed to Macomb by Western Illinois head baseball coach Stan Hyman and his wife Robin. Schaub traded in his Milwaukee Brewers cap for a Western Illinois lid and a position on the Leatherneck baseball coaching staff.

Schaub, who was represented by the same agent who handles Chicago Cubs slugger Sammy Sosa, recently relocated from Pennsylvania after accepting the position on Hyman’s staff. Schaub and his wife Kate, an elementary school teacher, recently purchased a home in Macomb.

“I’m looking forward to learning as much about coaching from Stan as I did learning to play the game,” said Schaub. “I’m excited about the opportunity to coach at the Division I level and am confident that I’ll be a part of championship teams as I was when I played for Stan. I believe that Stan has recruited the players to win consistently. My job is to make those expectations into reality.”

The hard throwing right-hander, who boasted a 97 M.P.H. fastball, retired earlier this summer after an arm injury abruptly ended his career. In addition to pitching, Schaub also played outfield in the Milwaukee system for the first several years of his professional career.

“I’m excited to have Greg on the staff,” said Hyman. “Besides having the privilege of coaching him earlier in his career, my wife Robin and I consider Greg and Kate two of our closest friends.

“Greg’s experience and expertise speak for itself,” Hyman continued. “Greg will work with both our pitchers and position players. His love and knowledge of the game will inspire our guys. His great ability to communicate and teach, as well as the respect he commands from his pro playing days, will improve each player he coaches.”

At the time of his injury, Schaub had posted a sparkling 2.08 earned run average as the closer for the Beloit Snappers of the Midwest League. Last season with High Desert of the California League, Schaub led the Mavericks with 10 saves while striking out 59 batters in only 44 innings of work. Opposing hitters were batting only .239 against Schaub when he retired.

“Greg is living proof that Stan can take players to the next level,” said Tim Van Alstine, Western Illinois Director of Athletics. “Greg’s hiring also shows our continued commitment toward the Western baseball program. We’re moving in the right direction and championships are within our reach. We believe that Greg will play a key role in helping us attain our goals.”

In five seasons as an outfielder Schaub hit .253 with 26 home runs and 27 stolen bases, while driving in 201 runs. In 1996, Baseball America labeled Schaub the best arm in Milwaukee’s entire farm system.

In addition to coaching, Schaub will be available for private lessons. To contact Coach Schaub, call 836-6634 or contact the baseball office at 298-1521.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.