VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4] ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 07:43:00 08/22/03 Fri
Author: fourbags
Subject: player reports

just found this site.I'm so excited!! so much STUFF I would like to know about the team and the players. I read tons of comments from the coach and coaching staff, but coaching for 30 yrs or so coaches just have a way of not saying much of nothing! I'ts the people who watch the practices what kid is doing what who looks good,who is working hard, who is getting no love from the coaches, big hits, great catches, over rated, under rated kids, all the jabs, kudos and just good clean comments... I know there is more than 5 or 6 players on the whole team!! What's some other players doing? What's up with the receivers. thanks Go Necks

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: player reports -- Neckfansince71, 08:21:41 08/22/03 Fri

fourbags,

Welcome to the jungle. Starter is doing an excellent job introducing subjects and keeping us a breast of the situation in Macomb. I live about 4 hours away and make the trip a couple of times a year. I know that there was some initial concern about replacing Coleman and RJ but it seems like last years young receivers have not missed a beat and the juco transfer appears to be doing quite well also. I wish I was closer. I would definitely be a constant visiter to practice.

The best thing is, the sleeping giant has awoken. Goldfarb, Mortier, VanAlstine, and Patterson have provided the wakeup call and things seem to be really moving along in Macomb. Again, I am really anxious to see the plans for the stadium. Instead of thinking mediocre, the fab four are committed to making it a great place to watch football. Hanson already is a great venue, but the refurbishing will make it that much better. A couple of years ago I was talking to Larry Mortier and he mentioned that they had been really impressed with Hofstra's new look stadium!!! That and building a pressbox/office facility like at Western Michigan seems to be the direction things are moving.

jc

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: player reports -- wiuato, 09:08:12 08/22/03 Fri

Here is some of my info and feelings about the WR's.

Obviously we know Hall & Gray are back and will be playing, but from what I heard from sources last season Akers a trans. from Idaho was a very good talent that did not play for some odd reason, but I expect to see him play alot this season. Also, WIU has a diamond in the Frosh. Rademaker from Pekin, he holds the state record for catches which he took from RJ Luke and he has exceptional hands and may be the fastest guy on the team. I think both he and Akers are like 6'2", I am not sure if he will be redshirted but I think it would be a mistake to do that this season because he could be the #1 receiver. I found last season Hall & Gray dropped some passes & they both seemed to catch at their body and not hands, but late in the year they made some big catches. Losing Luke will hurt the most on Offense, he was a huge threat because not only could he catch and run, he could block efficiently which helped Michna immensely in his ability to run around and make plays. Overall the biggest loss is the punter Scifres, this guy was truly the difference maker. If not for his booming punts, his amazing ability to kick-off and his tackling after punts or kicks WIU could have been in some major hurt over the years. Anyways just hold tight, this could be a huge year. I am anxious to see some of these high profile transfers on Defense, from what I have read, the guys from Minnesota are good. But I guess when both were starters in the big 10 you'd have to be.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: player reports -- fourbags, 09:35:10 08/22/03 Fri

thanks so much wiuato. enjoyed what you had to say. both you and neckfansince 71 are my sources of info. would really enjoy talking to you one on one. have some answers to some of your questions, and you most likley have some answers for me. I will say this Akers and the freshman without question are the best wr's on the team... I believe michna can have a banner year if akers is this main go to guy along with the freshman.. I get this from some very savy football people.. best to you and the necks....

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: player reports -- wiuato, 14:41:29 08/22/03 Fri

Yeah, we will see about Rademaker. I saw him quite a bit over the past two seasons in HS, boy he is quite a talent and I was extatic when he signed with WIU because I know some big schools were looking at him seriously including Illinois and I thought for a while he may go to ISU but WIU jumped in late. I know he wanted to have a chance to play and going to a big school leaves you at a 50/50 situation and coming to WIU, he will play and have the same shot as moving to the next level. I hope to see Akers, I was not too impressed with Hall last season and Gray was a Frosh so he can only get better. I guess once again this season WIU is very deep at alot of positions and I expect to see rotation on the lines as last season, it really makes a difference in crucial situations. I am a bit concerned with the depth at QB, I noticed McAdams is gone(why) and I thought he was great security for WIU. Even with the depth at DB, I still feel the loss of Irish will hurt this season. With the wealth of potential WR's, I wonder what happened to Ike Roberts the trans. from Maryland last season. My biggest worries are still at Punter and TE, who will step up? I saw a couple of practices and the Frosh. punter did not impress me, his kickoffs were poor and his punts were far from what I expected. I expect Langan to kickoff but if his leg can be saved for only field goals he will be successful again. Too much wear on him with soccer and double duty on the FB field could cost him a potentially great season. We will see come Thursday.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> Re: player reports -- Neckfansince71, 15:37:35 08/22/03 Fri

Hey, don't worry about the Coffee kid, he is the real thing!! I saw him a couple of times up here in the suburbs and he can boom punts and kickoffs. Scifris was definitely special. Hopefully Coffee will get more confidence as the year goes on and we won't need so many game saving kicks from our endzone. Think McAdams left because he felt like he had no chance. Burks is the back up and he is now in his 3rd year after having redshirted as a freshman. He will be ready when called on just like Michna was. The new kid from Kentucky is also really something. He runs and throws well. Bet we don't see him this year. Think Patterson is into 3 years to develop and 2 years to play. Not a bad way to go really!

jc

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: player reports -- new2wiu, 23:01:58 09/24/03 Wed

I just found this website and began reading some of the questions. My question is, If David Akers is so good as some have stated why is he not being used. I notice last game that he was in at defense and sounded like he did a good job. I'm a little confused on what is happening. Maybe someone can enlighted me on this. Thanks new2wiu

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: player reports -- wiuato, 07:42:12 09/25/03 Thu

Well, yes Akers played Corner because Vic. Campbell, Kaleel were out because of a minor injury and Tenn-Martin sucked so they did not need them. Also I guess one of WIU's talented DB's Shamon Jammerson left the school for some odd reason and WIU was thin at that spot. Akers filled in and played very well but he was not tested all that much either but with his speed and hands, he will contribute considerably in that area.
As to why he does not play WR is a major mystery. Gray and Hall are still dropping some crucial gimme passes that my 5 year old son could make and they do not seem to pass enough to Norris yet. Akers should play but as I have stated before, I do not believe Hendricksen is not a good O-coordinator and Coach P should be calling the plays. I would like to see the gameplan from 2 years ago when the O seemed to offer some excitement with unconventional plays which helped to mix things up. Anyways, Akers is a good athlete and again should be playing somewhere on the field.

[ Edit | View ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.