VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: [1]234567 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 08:13:20 03/31/16 Thu
Author: Marky Billson
Subject: Press conferences have changed
In reply to: Onlooker 's message, "Re: DK's grandstanding" on 21:23:47 03/30/16 Wed

As far as having fans, the band, etc. at press conferences when coaches are hired, this is a modern phenomenon at major universities. It seems to have trickled up from the south, so perhaps it makes sense that Pitt, now in the ACC, picked up on it.

Frankly, from what I saw on the broadcast, it wasn't as much of a propaganda event as what I've seen elsewhere when a basketball coach has been hired. I've seen complete gagfests where the band and cheerleaders are far more prominent, video congratulations on the hire from other coaches are shown, the athletic director and President introduce the coach as nothing short of the second coming of John Wooden, and fans cheer when the new coach gives not an introduction of himself as Stallings did, but rather a pep talk complete with "buy your tickets now!"

Thankfully, Pitt didn't go quite that far.

Still, in a place like Pittsburgh where the media aren't a bunch of lapdogs and the fans don't want them to be such, I can see where the first foray in to the modern-day "Press Conference as an Event" was unnerving to hardened, veteran members of the media.

Hence, "come clean" is a somewhat natural reaction to the feel of the press conference/event.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

• Re: DK's grandstanding -- Older School, 03:42:23 04/01/16 Fri
  • Re: DK's grandstanding -- Bladed Wedge, 06:02:09 04/01/16 Fri

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
    VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
    Before posting please read our privacy policy.
    VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
    Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.