VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 04:20:23 07/04/16 Mon
Author: Fran Caise
Subject: Re: Start 'em early
In reply to: Pierre 's message, "Start 'em early" on 19:04:55 07/03/16 Sun

Wonder if Beltway Dave selected this one. Sounds like it. But maybe not. He might be pretty busy trying to fill these upper level management jobs people keep leaving. Maybe Ambassador Dan?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: Start 'em early -- T. Roy Hill, 06:04:20 07/04/16 Mon [1]

The diarist was not an intern. The italics at the end of the piece identified her as the daughter of a staffer, and she wasn't among the interns whose photos were published June 26. It was the first time I've ever seen a Saturday Diary written by someone not being paid to produce content.

The newsstand price of the PG is rumored to be going from $1.50 to $2 next Monday just the same. Free content and the Blocks still are grubbing for quarters.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Start 'em early -- North Unshore, 12:45:47 07/05/16 Tue [1]

Enjoy the $ 2 disaster while it lasts. I bet they already have a contingency headline prepared saying "Post-Gazette to Cease Publication (fill in date)" to use when the family decides to give it up. Of course that doesn't mean I think the Trib's long term chances are any better.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Start 'em early -- Follow T. Money, 18:06:03 07/07/16 Thu [1]

I know how things have changed, but I also know the PG has been at it in one form or another for 230 years. That ain't beanbag. I, too, have felt the print PG and Trib total whatever have their days numbered.

But since nature abhors a vacuum, the question becomes what would happen if both closed tomorrow, what then? Will someone come in with big bucks to fill the print gap? That seems unlikely. Will more like the almost tiny-targeted, boutiquey paper in the East End by Hyslop, Belser spring up? Nobody knows.

So it seems, besides the confusion and uncertainty they and we all feel, the PG's attitude is: Keep it going until we can't, and throw the book of conventional wisdom out the door and do what you have to. Those who really like the Thursday or Sunday PG might actually cough up 2 bucks because they like the lifestyle of reading the paper and don't want to see it end. In that way it's not even about those papers, but about a culture living or dying.

But don't forget that behind all the layoffs, buyouts, cutbacks ravaging the line reporters, editors, photogs, artists, etc., that the top owners and editors are in the money, if no one else, so the motivation to trudge on may be that simple, for the money for the few.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: Start 'em early -- We R Familee, 04:24:34 07/08/16 Fri [1]

What happens with both papers is family-dependent. How the courts rule of the Scaife offspring may determine the Trib's future; the Block family stockholders will decide the PG's, if, when and how to yank the plug or sell, if anyone would buy.

I could see enough money in Pittsburgh for someone to start something from scratch. If affluent ideologues on either side set up papers, that would be no better than the Trib-PG divide. If someone created did a paper that was objective, primarily focusing on local and regional, with a newsroom holding the best from both papers, it might succeed. It would not be a place for national-international news. The assumption would be people could get that on TV and online.

Older folks want print no matter what and they might be pleased with a print paper of local news and features. The neighborhood sheets like the Hyslop-Belzer project may not have as long a shelf life. Publicsource appeals to a tiny affluent segment of the community in the same way the PG goes going out of its way to appeal to local elite while the Trib chases the yinzers.

[ Edit | View ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.