VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 09:59:57 08/12/16 Fri
Author: Editor has left the building.
Subject: Re: Not just the PG and Trib
In reply to: Contagion 's message, "Not just the PG and Trib" on 20:52:19 08/11/16 Thu

"Citing sources close to the Times, the tabloid reported that management is looking at a number of new cost saving measures that could include ending the print edition of The New York Times Magazine on Sunday, ending the print publication of the paperís Metro section, shifting the weekly book-review section to online-only, and renting out part of its office at 620 Eighth Avenue are among the measures executives are considering." --from the linked blog post

Even a Vanity Fair blogger can't reach the end of a sentence without forgetting the syntactical setup early on in an adjectival dependent clause.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: Not just the PG and Trib -- Mr. Monday Night, 16:16:14 08/12/16 Fri [1]

I don't understand the confusion and paper bashing in this city. Both papers are trying to stay afloat. This has been the trend over the past five to ten years. To read the responses on this page when either paper makes changes or cuts is mind boggling. I applaud both papers for doing everything they can to attempt to keep people employed. This is the new normal in the paper industry. I have lived in multiple larger cities and those papers are doing the exact same things to cut cost. No one is amune to the changes taking place in print and online.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Not just the PG and Trib -- Satisfied, 08:02:31 08/13/16 Sat [1]

I agree! When I subscribed to Consumer Reports, once a year they'd send out a survey about your feelings on a product you purchased. It seems that if you had no problem with your new ''lawn mower,'' you wouldn't bother replying. But if it gave you problems, the owner would reply by trashing it. Same goes for complaining to a company about something that you didn't like. But how many people would take the time to contact a business with a compliment? I think the majority of people in the area have no problem with either news paper.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Not just the PG and Trib -- Ms. Sunday Morning, 15:38:49 08/13/16 Sat [1]

Idealistic, but not realistic, commentary.

The P-G is an an overpriced, ever-shrinking product constantly lowering their quality with delusions of digital triumphs not likely to pan out. Trib Total, what's left, struggles to live within its means without the huge subsidies from its now-deceased billionaire owner. Both are doing buyouts after buyouts.

Pittsburgh and vicinity *might* be able to support one daily paper. It wasn't that easy when it was the Press vs. P-G. But beyond the noble rhetoric, if you're charging readers more and offering less value, how do you expect to survive? You won't. Simple economics.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> To Satisfied and Monday-- -- Dissatisfied and skeptical, 20:14:24 08/13/16 Sat [1]

I think that's a fantasy. If your statement were true, the Trib and PG would closer to holding their own, maybe not thriving but not feverishly downsizing, cutting home delivery and scaling back coverage in some sections as they constantly refer to "challenges" in the "industry." And if people were satisfied, circulation figures would not be going down.

You and Mr. Monday mustn't remember when the late PG publisher Bill Block, Sr., uncle to JR and Allan Block, would organize neighborhood forums to talk about the PG, what worked, and what did not. Of course, online and social media feedback did not yet exist. Still, there was face to face, person to person contact.

Would JR Block or David Shribman be caught dead talking to lowly folks in Beltzhoover, Etna, McKees Rocks or Brookline? Hell no! They wouldn't want to get their hands dirty. Could Bertetto, an undistinguished CEO in her late 30's whose background is advertising and marketing, not journalism, engage average folks about the good and bad points of the Trib? Would Craig or Cuddy lower themselves? No again.

Mr. Monday is right that this is industrywide and that no one is "amune" (sic) to changes taking place. Even so, there's not a damn thing wrong with pointing out some of the ideas being utilized to "save" each paper have fallen short of their goals. Please don't expect posters over here to be mindless cheering sections for bad strategies.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: To Satisfied and Monday-- -- Mr Monday Night, 18:26:13 08/14/16 Sun [1]

I understand the frustration. I am just stating the obvious. Both papers NEED to cut back. They NEED to shrink their footprint. In today's 24/7 world, editorial departments no longer sell the paper. Every single person I know that buys a paper, buys it for the coupons. They can read the stories on line. With the lack of advertising revenue and the non existent classified sections they need to add through subtraction. Both papers in this city lose millions of dollars a month. If they want to keep any type of presence in the market place, they need to cut cost. At the end of the day, these are businesses. If cutting their losses is what they need to do to stick around, I say more power to them. I would rather have two mediocre papers than no paper at all.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Needs vs. realities -- Retired, 14:28:38 08/15/16 Mon [1]

You are kidding, right? A mediocre paper doesn't get the job done, and after a point it doesn't have much more value than no paper. Cutting back to survive? Of course. But why not publish online daily but cut print to three or four days a week like other cities? You're ignoring another big issue: you obviously have to reduce costs. What happens when you cut so deeply you give people no reason to buy it per-copy, to subscribe to print OR online? Go too far and people will walk away, plunging circulation and ad revenue into the depths. Remake a product to the point no one wants it, how does it survive?

Your points are understandable; your logic is, to say the least, elusive.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> Re: Needs vs. realities -- Tom (The Original Tom), 07:43:53 08/16/16 Tue [1]

If you cut back to three or four hard copies a week, you will have to reduce the subscription rate. Which would result in less income. Would the employees be willing to take a comparable salary reduction?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> Re: Needs vs. realities -- Mr. Monday Night, 06:40:11 08/17/16 Wed [1]

I think there are two options:
1. Employees would have to take a pay cut, or
2. The workforce would need to be thinned to meet the new criteria.

I do not know or pretend to know the inner-workings of the newspaper industry. I imagine they are in the same position as every other business. Cut cost or explore different avenues. I just think people expect a lot for a very small price. It can't work that way. Would you, or any customer, be willing to pay two to three times the current rate for the paper if it meant getting better coverage? Would you pay $5 a day to get your paper? Of course not. Wages keep going up. The PG is being killed by union contracts and benefits. If you can't get your customers to foot the bill, you need to cut cost.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> Re: Needs vs. realities -- Technocrat, 06:43:59 08/17/16 Wed [1]

With all of the technology available today, sending four to six full-time people to watch one Steelers practice per day is overkill.
No need to cut salaries, what should be cut is obvious.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: To Satisfied and Monday-- -- BOGO, 14:46:10 08/15/16 Mon [1]

Wow, I hope the editors are reading this forum and discovering that buyers of their papers find the coupon inserts the only worthwhile content. There must be a more efficient coupon-delivery system, though.

[ Edit | View ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.