VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 06:33:10 08/20/16 Sat
Author: Granitehead
Subject: Re: A Couple Points
In reply to: Former PGer 's message, "Re: A Couple Points" on 22:05:50 08/19/16 Fri

This makes sense. Craig was smart with the best elements of the old school editor though he could be a handful. I've often fingered JR as the family's wanna-be newspaper mogul. I remember a story long ago about internal friction when the other Blocks [not JR] decided to close the DC Bureau. If the Blocks are all stockholders, and a majority get tired of covering PG losses, it will be high drama if en masse they tell JR, this is it. We want to sell it or close it. Like JR, Shribman's snobbish view of Pittsburgh and PG readers is fact. His lack of vision and compliant, no-argument nature are exactly what JR wants. A real editor would have walked out of there years ago.

They are so out of touch with the people they don't ever consider that a tipping point exists. There's a point fast approaching where Pittsburgh readers who still read, online or in print, will look at the PG and its diminished coverage and quality and say, "who needs it?" They offer all this brave talk of the future, and then the inexperienced, newly promoted Deputy ME tasked with creating that revolutionary, digital PG walks out after less than a year. When enough readers say screw it, whether JR likes it or not, that's it. If the Trib goes first, the PG won't be far behind.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> [> [> [> [> [> Re: A Couple Points -- Former PGer, 07:22:24 08/20/16 Sat [1]

This is not directed at you, Granitehead but I hope those on this board who are always predicting doom for both Pgh papers are dead wrong.

I rather enjoy having two newspapers in Pittsburgh, regardless of the declining quality of both. I wish nothing but the best for both papers. We in Pittsburgh are fortunate to still have a choice, or if you're like me, you read both papers. There are a lot of much larger markets that lost the second paper long ago. When there's no competition, it's natural for the surviving paper to get lazy, the reporters, the editors, the ownership.

Although I don't see a lot of evidence (in the products) of a driven competition between the two (like the PG and Press back in the day), I'm no longer in the newsroom. I'm sure it's there to some degree.

And, really if you work in the business and you're worth a damn, it's the competition that keeps you going each day. It's certainly isn't the high wages, the enlightened owners or some (not all) of the clueless editors one has to work for during a career.

I've known a lot of newspaper types who drank too much, a few dabbled too much with drugs, but the addiction of choice was competition. On my various beats, I used to wake up thinking how I was going to kick the competition's butt each morning.

I hope there at least a few at today's Trib and PG who still feel this way.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.