VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 07:22:24 08/20/16 Sat
Author: Former PGer
Subject: Re: A Couple Points
In reply to: Granitehead 's message, "Re: A Couple Points" on 06:33:10 08/20/16 Sat

This is not directed at you, Granitehead but I hope those on this board who are always predicting doom for both Pgh papers are dead wrong.

I rather enjoy having two newspapers in Pittsburgh, regardless of the declining quality of both. I wish nothing but the best for both papers. We in Pittsburgh are fortunate to still have a choice, or if you're like me, you read both papers. There are a lot of much larger markets that lost the second paper long ago. When there's no competition, it's natural for the surviving paper to get lazy, the reporters, the editors, the ownership.

Although I don't see a lot of evidence (in the products) of a driven competition between the two (like the PG and Press back in the day), I'm no longer in the newsroom. I'm sure it's there to some degree.

And, really if you work in the business and you're worth a damn, it's the competition that keeps you going each day. It's certainly isn't the high wages, the enlightened owners or some (not all) of the clueless editors one has to work for during a career.

I've known a lot of newspaper types who drank too much, a few dabbled too much with drugs, but the addiction of choice was competition. On my various beats, I used to wake up thinking how I was going to kick the competition's butt each morning.

I hope there at least a few at today's Trib and PG who still feel this way.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.