VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 15:55:01 08/23/16 Tue
Author: 2016 Mediocrty Guide
Subject: Re: Earth to City Paper!
In reply to: In Picksburgh 's message, "Earth to City Paper!" on 05:13:01 08/22/16 Mon

His background indicates capabilities he hasn't used, Is he trying to compete with Pittsburgh Magazine's throwaway features?

http://www.pghcitypaper.com/pittsburgh/Profile/Bio?oid=1344880

Only Deitch knows. But he'll have more space in the future so there is no excuse for digging into other stories the Trib and PG ignore.

http://www.pghcitypaper.com/pittsburgh/pittsburgh-city-paper-moves-event-listings-online-to-provide-more-food-sports-and-features-coverage/Content?oid=1944425

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: Earth to City Paper! -- Seriously, what would the story be?, 10:16:23 08/24/16 Wed [1]

There's no breaking news here, nothing sinister that I know of. Both papers are teetering on the edge of disaster.
Is there something more that needs to be said, something that hasn't been said in the past couple of years?
The Scaife children lawsuit isn't a secret either, though I don't think that'll affect the Trib either way.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Earth to City Paper! -- These are what the stories would be!, 23:22:58 08/24/16 Wed [1]

The internal strife at both papers would be one thing. The Scaife kids business everyone knows. Some insights from staffers as to what they think the Trib's and PG's respective futures will be might be nice to know. Also, how did the Guild-less Trib newsroom decide who stayed and went among staffers who didn't take buyouts? At the PG, why did the Blocks invest in the high-tech Clinton production plant when they claim they're focused on a digital future? What are they doing with the Boulevard building? Does Shribman ever stand up on behalf of his newsroom to JR and Allan Block like a real editor should? Also why did the PG Deputy ME promoted to create that future quit not even a year after being promoted?

Those would be good places to start if CP cared to bother.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Earth to City Paper! -- Now ask yourself this:, 04:30:45 08/25/16 Thu [1]

Who in the general public would care about most of these navel-gazing questions? I can't see the general reader saying, "Ethel, why did the PG Deputy ME quit? That's been keeping me up nights."
In an era of limited resources, I can't justify the labor on a piece on the failing state of journalism. It's pretty obvious why, including, as this thread so eloquently proves, a dubious belief as to what constitutes news.
Maybe if one of the papers goes under, a post-mortem might be in order.
But outside journalism, the average reader doesn't care, sorry to say.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: Earth to City Paper! -- A slightly different perspective, 23:31:34 08/25/16 Thu [1]

City Paper has taken on the PG before, per the coverage of ex-PG columnist Jennifer Graham's bigotry.

http://www.pghcitypaper.com/Blogh/archives/2015/06/04/pittsburgh-post-gazette-takes-on-caitlyn-jenners-gender-looks-really-really-hateful-in-the-process

Of course they never bothered to look into why Graham was hired as a columnist by Shribman) and why she didn't stay long before moving to the Deseret News. That's not navel gazing. That's covering the media and the overall mess at both papers is worth covering at least to some degree. It's not navel gazing. The only local journalists who'd think it is might be those with some futile hope of joining the crew of one of the two sinking ships.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: Earth to City Paper! -- DL, 13:27:49 08/26/16 Fri [1]

You think the general public doesn't wonder why the papers cost more and give them less?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: Earth to City Paper! -- Baby Steps, 16:08:39 08/26/16 Fri [1]

Laziness on City Paper's part. It's no more complex than that. Don't make the big competition mad. Potter got a job at the PG. Who's to say someone else at CP might not have a shot? Play it nice. Play it lazy.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Earth to City Paper! -- The Future Prints, 23:01:53 08/25/16 Thu [1]

>At the PG, why did the Blocks invest in the high-tech Clinton production plant when they claim they're focused on a digital future?

Because they say its ROI is only 2 yrs.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: Earth to City Paper! -- Paper reader, 19:38:35 08/26/16 Fri [1]

The Blocks are following the Trib Total Media model by contracting print services for other publications. They can boast of having more modern equipment.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Earth to City Paper! -- Unreliable Sources, 05:16:56 08/26/16 Fri [1]

Baloney. Other local publications cover goings-on in local TV news. City Paper has done it themselves. Ever read Frances Monahan's dissections of Pittsburgh TV news? You just proved the point of the original poster. Too much work, I guess.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Earth to City Paper! -- The logic escapes me..., 15:21:35 08/26/16 Fri [1]

So in several of the respondents' worlds, they think that people who are turning away from newspapers in droves and no longer reading them will be interested in reading why people are no longer reading them, and interested in the inner workings of a newspaper they no longer read.
Gotcha.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Earth to City Paper! -- Someone WANTS the logic to escape them., 09:06:57 08/27/16 Sat [1]

Fact-City Paper is nothing but a bunch of fluff, which it was not under Potter's leadership.

Fact- Expecting anything substantive from them since Potter left is to reside in a fantasy world.

Fact- People are turning away but many are still getting the PG. They wonder why it's shinking and why home delivery areas are fewer. They're curious as to the reasons coverage and stories are getting sloppy. They question why its price keeps increasing.That's why so many are turning away locally. To you, these issues are obviously insignificant.

Fact- The mindless boosters and cheerleaders at Pittsburgh Magazine can't be expected to take up the slack. If they can't apply it to one of their endless "Top Ten" lists, they'd rather not bother.

Obviously in the limited local world City Paper cares about (Bloomfield, Lawrenceville, Millvale, Braddock, Oakland, Shadyside, South Side, etc.) the condition of the Burgh's two large dailies is of little interest. Why? Do they have delusions they can someday fill the gap? *Really??* Dream on.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: Earth to City Paper! -- Pittsburgh's top 10 wastes of paper, 13:56:59 08/30/16 Tue [1]

Saddest about Pittsburgh Magazine: the Editor, Cindi Lash is an ex-PG reporter/Sunday Editor. Her mindless cheerleading in her new job is sickening and one more reason Pittsburgh Mag is more irrelevant and over the hill every day.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> Re: Earth to City Paper! -- Constant Reader, 10:10:57 09/01/16 Thu [1]

Ever read the book reviews in the magazine? Any writer in the Pittsburgh metro area automatically gets a rave review. Ever read any of the books reviewed? I have, to my sorrow.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Earth to City Paper! -- WTH? PM?, 14:35:34 09/01/16 Thu [1]

What in the sam hell was that thing about Kaepernik in Pittsburgh Magazine?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: Earth to City Paper! -- Jim Murray's ghost, 03:41:18 09/02/16 Fri [1]

I believe it was Mike Prisuta (the man who, while at the Trib, wrote the story about the next Steelers coach being Mike Grimm) being a meathead.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: Earth to City Paper! -- Upscale Fluffer, 05:18:05 09/02/16 Fri [1]

As someone else said here, Cindi Lash, a good journalist in her P-G days, has no standards since she left the PG to take this gig. Prisuta's cred isn't stellar but I'm not surprised he's in their pages.

[ Edit | View ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.