VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 21:36:17 09/06/16 Tue
Author: Smurfette
Subject: Trib newsroom or morgue?

The Pittsburgh Trib now has a staff of about a dozen reporters, most of whom have fewer than 10 years of total news experience. Of those dozen reporters, at least one-third are looking to leave.

There are, by my last count, about eight editors, including Luis Fabregas. I presume most of them are looking for new employment, though while they have the experience, most of them are not talented enough to simply leave. They are probably applying for many of the same jobs the reporters are.

There have to be fewer than a half-size photographers left. If that.

The entire newspaper has been decimated.

One has to wonder why it continues to exist or for how long it will.

I understand trimming the fat, but they've cut out the heart.

Switching to an online-only publication makes sense, until you realize that web advertising generate tgenerated income needed to keep the paper afloat.

I'm curious if others think it will just go away or if the Trib will attempt to reinvent itself before ultimately failing.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: Trib newsroom or morgue? -- Charles Foster Kane, 23:53:30 09/06/16 Tue [1]

It pretty much takes the same-size news staff to produce a decent online product as it does to produce a print/online product. Just as it still takes the same effort to produce a newspaper whether you print 1 copy or 101,000 copies.

Management is fooling itself it it truly believes a fraction of the 1990s staff can produce the same caliber of product. But, hey, that's pretty much the norm for newspapers nationwide these days.

It's hard to tell whether most owners cringe at the painfulness of this reality or whether they are blind to it.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Trib newsroom or morgue? -- Live from mom's basement, 04:48:55 09/07/16 Wed [1]

There are several reporters out there working alongside these newspaper reporters, and their offices are a template on their computer screens in their living rooms. They covered, they wrote, they photographed, they videod , they edited, they wrote headlines, they posted and they marketed, and they marketed outside of the local circle jerk that lazily leans on each other in tv, radio and print.
These "internet" people wondered at how the bloated entities remained in business as they routinely got beat to stories with 10 people doing the same jobs, and then giving the product away for free!
All of the sudden the lights are going to turn on for these dinosaurs? Excuse me if I don't shed a tear.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Trib newsroom or morgue? -- The Wave of the Past, 22:04:43 09/07/16 Wed [1]

Oh, you must be speaking of the wildly successful Patch, DK and Incline sites.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Trib newsroom or morgue? -- Online journalists vs online posers, 06:03:06 09/11/16 Sun [1]

Yes, semiliterate kids who seldom read, can't write and post every blurb they "file" to social media so their friends can see how cool they are. Right-o!

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Trib newsroom or morgue? -- Museum Piece, 06:16:03 09/07/16 Wed [1]

This pretty much makes sense. How many are in the newsrooms of the Valley News Dispatch and Greensburg?

The minute the old man died and his kids went to court, the current situation was set in stone.

It's hard to imagine people with Prine's experience and skills will waste their time there much longer. In fact they would have been smart to move on long before now. The Prines of the world have portfolios that allow them to land elsewhere. They're the minority. A lot of others may need to seek careers outside of journalism. Some ex-Tribbers landed PR jobs in the local public and private sector.

TTM should sell Greensburg and VND, both viable local dailies, the way they did Connellsville and Kittanning.

Pittsburgh Trib? stick a fork in it. Done.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Trib newsroom or morgue? -- Puh-leese, 22:05:00 09/17/16 Sat [1]

Prine would waste his year doing maybe 2 stories — neither of which really made it to print, since it had to be re-written by the editors.

C'mon. You can find a better "reporter" than him to make your case.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Trib newsroom or morgue? -- Sick Transit Gloria Monday, 15:26:52 09/12/16 Mon [1]

All of my local friends are highly educated. None of them read the P-G or the Trib. They read the NYTimes, WSJ, and Drudge (for balance). The P-G and the Trib aren't even on these people's radar.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Trib newsroom or morgue? -- All Politics is Local, 13:50:41 09/13/16 Tue [1]

Those are excellent sources for the big picture. But these friends are cheating themselves if they rely on, what, the Tee Vee?, for their local news and in particular information about how their community is or isn't being governed.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Trib newsroom or morgue? -- All Politics Is Global, 05:23:51 09/14/16 Wed [1]

They don't watch TV news, or much TV at all for that matter. Local TV news is worse than the local print media. Pittsburgh is a fine little city, but not much happens here, so my friends don't feel as if they're missing much by not following local news. If something of importance happens around here, the Times will usually cover the story. These friends are all liberals, but none are voting for Hillary. All but one are voting for Trump. The world is changing.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: Trib newsroom or morgue? -- Provincial One, 22:02:11 09/16/16 Fri [1]

So how has the NYT coverage of the Liberty Bridge been? And they've been on top of the problems surrounding the Wood Street T station? Chief McLay, too?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: Trib newsroom or morgue? -- Wonderlic, 10:23:10 09/18/16 Sun [1]

You say that you and your friends are voting for Trump as though it's some show of intelligence. I mean, it is, but not in the way you might be thinking.
Yes, indeed, the world is changing.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: Trib newsroom or morgue? -- All Politics Is Global (Joyfully nihilistic), 15:35:39 09/19/16 Mon [1]

But you can't possibly know the way I might be thinking.
I also found it hysterical that the NYTimes article about the Uber self-driving-car experiment in Pittsburgh mentioned that Pittsburgh has "dozens" of tunnels and that the Strip District is an "industrial" area. It proves that this cute little city is so irrelevant that there's no need to get the facts straight! Yay!

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> Re: Trib newsroom or morgue? -- Wonderlic, 18:39:05 09/19/16 Mon [1]

I suppose I do not know how you are "thinking." Here's what I know: You appear to take some type of pride in failing to read local news, which means you don't even grasp the effect your local Democrat/Republican/whichever politicians are having on your day-to-day, or your neighbor's day-to-day and yet you plan to vote. You're that guy/girl who flies up the outer lane on 51 without realizing there's (still) construction and you screw up traffic for everyone else by trying to cut in. So yay for you not reading local newspapers. I'm not saying the Trib or PG are great papers, but once these papers, and others like it nationwide are gone, you'll find the NYT somewhat lacking on account of that their material has suddenly dried up.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> Re: Trib newsroom or morgue? -- All Politics Is Global (épater le bourgeois), 13:19:00 09/20/16 Tue [1]

You know nothing about me, and your presumptions are wide of the mark, but I hold nothing against you. I am sixty-one years old, I drive at (or slightly but reasonably below) the speed limit, I avoid highways because of enough nutso Pittsburgh motorists (if this metro area had decent public transportation, I’d never drive at all), and I find the local papers grossly unreadable (the prose is semiliterate at best) and obscenely overpriced (the news hole is shrinking to the circumference of a pinhole). The local dailies are moribund, and their demise will be unworthy of mourning. There's no pride in my saying any of this; I'm just a realist. Pittsburgh has the politicians it deserves. I’m not a Pittsburgher; I just live here, but I love it—the place, that is, meaning the architecture, especially, and the vivid neighborhoods—in a detached sort of way. I vote for national candidates only. A vote for Trump is a Dadaist gesture.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Re: Trib newsroom or morgue? -- Wonderlic, 15:45:23 09/20/16 Tue [1]

Voting for national candidates only with little regard for your state and city politicians is ignorant. That is a fact. I am also a realist.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Re: Trib newsroom or morgue? -- All Politics Is Globus Hystericus (Glee), 05:11:41 09/21/16 Wed [1]

Oh, my goodness. Please review the distinction between "opinion" and "fact." You might also want to review Keats's pronouncement that “poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world.” (Having "little regard" for politicians is a stance arrived at through hard experience.) You also want to acknowledge that you are using the adjective "ignorant" in the fuzzy sense peculiar to western Pennsylvanians. A trip to a Merriam-Webster or Webster's New World dictionary will disabuse you of your, um, ignorance.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Trib newsroom or morgue? -- Pamela, 22:04:34 09/16/16 Fri [1]

Pittsburgh politics is easy, the Democrat mayor does whatever he wants. What else is there to know? It's not like the local media will ever criticize or challenge him.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: Trib newsroom or morgue? -- Truth Hurts, 08:41:49 09/18/16 Sun [1]

Dick Scaife's giant ego and his inept advisors created the problems facing the Trib today.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> Re: Trib newsroom or morgue? -- Lurch The Lurker, 07:31:35 10/03/16 Mon [1]

It is not that simple. There are so many more mistakes that were made after Scaife passed. Many, many. Do not let her off too easy.

[ Edit | View ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.