VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 06:32:11 09/13/16 Tue
Author: Tom (The Original Tom)
Subject: The Incline launches: Pittsburgh’s newest news site is live

The Incline launches: Pittsburgh’s newest news site is live

By Lexi Belculfine

September 13, 2016 at 7:01 am

You’ve seen the inclines. They climb and descend some of the Steel City’s steepest slopes. And they’ve always lent a unique perspective to the city and brought their riders closer together, if only briefly.

We’re hoping to do something similar by bringing fresh ideas to local news coverage and working to connect Pittsburghers. Welcome to The Incline.

What is The Incline? You can expect original stories, photos and videos that you aren’t seeing anywhere else. We think news can and should be fun and the start of conversations. Our work will reflect that mission.

We’ll also curate the things people are saying about our city in real time. We don’t aggregate. If someone else does a good story, we’ll link to it directly from our website and social accounts.

The goal is to make your Pittsburgh news experience simple, easy and informative.

That was our founder Jim Brady’s vision for Billy Penn, which celebrates its second birthday next month. In that time, The Incline’s sibling site in Philadelphia has covered news from the Pope’s visit to a deadly train derailment. It has dedicated time and energy to important issues, such as suicide at the University of Pennsylvania.

Billy Penn also live tweeted Gov. Tom Wolf’s inaugural address using emojis, and one of its reporters survived 20 courses and 11 beers in the name of Wu Tang. ¯

Billy Penn was named 2015’s Startup of the Year at the Philadelphia Geek Awards and serves as PolitiFact’s Pennsylvania partner. The Incline will contribute to those fact-checking efforts.

Who are we? We hail from newsrooms across the country: the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Washington City Paper, The Washington Post and the Knoxville News Sentinel.

Lexi Belculfine, editor: lexi@theincline.com and @lexibelc
Sarah Anne Hughes, reporter/curator: sarahanne@theincline.com and @sarahanne_news
MJ Slaby, reporter/curator: mj@theincline.com and @mjslaby
We need your help. Like Billy Penn, which leans on its audience to nominate outstanding Philadelphians for its “Who’s Next” lists each month, we want to hear from you. We’ll ask for peers who are outstanding in their field of vocation, from technology to the arts to politics.

And — hopefully soon! — we’ll be your host at events small and large, in a 21st-century example of old-school social networking. There will be drinks. Also, cheese. Hopefully pierogies, too.

And please follow us on social:

Subscribe to our newsletter.
Like: The Incline
Tweet: @theinclinepgh
IG: @theinclinepgh
Snap: theinclinepgh
You can also reach us here:

Story tips: tips@theincline.com
General emails: contact@theincline.com
Call: 412–567–8808
Visit:
The Incline at Alloy 26
100 South Commons
Suite 102
Pittsburgh, PA 15212

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: The Incline launches: Pittsburgh’s newest news site is live -- Universal translator, 17:15:47 09/13/16 Tue [1]

Duuudddddeeeeeee....gag me with a spoon. I mean, like you know, we are just kids and we want to inform you, but like you know, like being KEWL is what rules here. And like, Lexi has this cachet for being with the PG for a couple years so, like, she's a real journalist and all that. And we're gonna do rad things like who's outstanding and like sure, Pittsburgh Mag, like, you know, does things like this 'longside their Top Ten lists but yo! they aren't the INCLINE! We be the new publication for milennials who can't read, write, like talk or think and figure if it's not on their smartphones it doesn't exist.

So dude, yo! Check it OUT!

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: The Incline launches: Pittsburgh’s newest news site is live -- Patch, 22:37:28 09/14/16 Wed [1]

Isn't this the same thing Patch did?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: The Incline launches: Pittsburgh’s newest news site is live -- Emulator, 01:16:10 09/15/16 Thu [1]

Yeah, and we all know how Patch ended up. Ask Cindi Lash.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: The Incline launches: Pittsburgh’s newest news site is live -- Regarding Cindi, 13:55:45 09/15/16 Thu [1]

I'd ask her about Patch but she's too busy running the cheerleading operation known as Pittsburgh Magazine. It takes a lot of journalistic mettle and creative effort to come up with monthly Top Ten lists, best-ofs and other softball features. That publication is so fluffy and superficial you'd never know she worked at the P-G.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: The Incline launches: Pittsburgh’s newest news site is live -- Under 50, 21:39:04 09/14/16 Wed [1]

I clicked on this thread for the hilariously cliche dismissal of any journalist under* the age of like 45, and man, I was not disappointed. This is the *GOOD* stuff.

*Excuse me. "Younger than."

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Suggestion for "Under 50" -- Challenger, 04:43:07 09/15/16 Thu [1]

Okay, then you tell us why these newbies are so good. I've seen the Incline and Upgruv and at 42 I can't see what's awe-inspiring about either one.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: The Incline launches: Pittsburgh’s newest news site is live -- Seriously, 06:27:07 09/15/16 Thu [1]

I don't think it's a question of age as much as a preference for one type of journalism over another. It is difficult for those of us who learned/practice/appreciate standard who-what-where-when reporting on local government, the courts, schools, and other vital community functions, to embrace brief, scattershot, often glib writing and story selection designed to entertain, rather than inform, and, ideally, to generate ad clicks. You can argue that it's just the way younger people consume news/content nowadays, but it's a diminished form of the art and a disservice to society.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: The Incline launches: Pittsburgh’s newest news site is live -- Under 50, 00:35:29 09/17/16 Sat [1]

Be real here. It's not about a "type of journalism." Lexi is young. Lexi is the bawse. And people on this board, apparently yourself included, are going to have a problem with that regardless of a Post-Gazette portfolio that had plenty of who-what-where-when-why in it, and regardless of her leading a staff of more than a hundred *students* that was often more nimble in getting to those Sandusky 5 Ws you claim to cherish than any newspaper in the state except the Patriot News.

Stop trying to hide that behind hand-wringing about "ad clicks," which anyone who's done even a little bit of research on the 5 Ws of Spirited Media knows is not the business model.

I'm sorry many posters on this board didn't get a chance to be in charge. I'm sure both papers would be journalism behemoths had JR or Scaife turned their gaze toward you. But stop projecting that frustration onto a young person who had the stones to jump off the hamster wheel and try something different.

This city is better with more voices at the table. I'm not going to argue you need to like every voice. But portraying her as an air-headed pixie playing reporter in the big city could not come across more transparently as sour grapes.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: The Incline launches: Pittsburgh’s newest news site is live -- Bawse?, 06:55:58 09/19/16 Mon [1]

What is "bawse"?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: The Incline launches: Pittsburgh’s newest news site is live -- Forty-six, 08:59:00 09/15/16 Thu [1]

Where did you see that? I can't find it.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: The Incline launches: Pittsburgh’s newest news site is live -- Spicoli, 12:37:51 09/15/16 Thu [1]

I know. "Gag me with a spoon." Nothing says relevant more than 30-year-old slang.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: The Incline launches: Pittsburgh’s newest news site is live -- Pinkman, 04:24:46 09/16/16 Fri [1]

Right you are. It's more like "Yo! Check it out, bitch!"

Always nice to see the continuum of intelligent discourse from the younger folks.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: The Incline launches: Pittsburgh’s newest news site is live -- Prune filling, 06:35:14 09/15/16 Thu [1]

Oh man. She had to slip the pierogie reference in at the end. Cute condescension.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: The Incline launches: Pittsburgh’s newest news site is live -- It's Those Damned Pictures, 09:24:08 09/15/16 Thu [1]

"Billy Penn also live tweeted Gov. Tom Wolf’s inaugural address using emojis"

I don't care what anyone says: This is world-class journalism.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: The Incline launches: Pittsburgh’s newest news site is live -- See Ya Later, Aggregator, 04:22:23 09/16/16 Fri [1]

They are adamant that what they do is curation, but this here is textbook aggregation (aka content theft):

http://theincline.com/2016/09/14/liberty-bridge-closure-101-why-the-pittsburgh-artery-is-still-shut-down/

And who exactly is the audience for this article? "Tell me about this bridge, is it important?" sounds like someone who's never set foot in Pittsburgh or at best someone who has lived in a cave the past two weeks.

Weak attempt at "explainer" journalism with little to no original reporting.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: The Incline launches: Pittsburgh’s newest news site is live -- Aggregator Purse, 12:17:51 09/16/16 Fri [1]

The defensive youngsters here don't want to hear these sorts of things. They're slackers. Substance and originality will never be their strong points. I don't want to say this applies to all younger journalists. There are many who still prefer doing it correctly and don't care about being "kewl."

As for Lexi, she had nothing going for her at the PG except a folio of mediocre work. This foray into nonsense is just her attempt to try to jump on the "cutting edge." If anyone figures out what's so daring about this load of rubbish, please let me know.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: The Incline launches: Pittsburgh’s newest news site is live -- T-Shirt Concession, 14:10:23 09/16/16 Fri [1]

There used to be talk of "Trib Kiddies" over here, a largely archaic term today. But "Incline Infants" does have a ring to it.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: The Incline launches: Pittsburgh’s newest news site is live -- Same old, same old, 06:26:05 09/20/16 Tue [1]

Young journalists, old journalists ... we're all the same. Thin-skinned, defensive and hypersensitive to criticism. We can dish it out, but we can't take it.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: The Incline launches: Pittsburgh’s newest news site is live -- Obtuse Triangle, 07:23:22 09/17/16 Sat [1]

The antagonism of young journalists by people on this board -- most of whom sat idly by as their audience deserted them and the industry passed them by -- is rich.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: The Incline launches: Pittsburgh’s newest news site is live -- "Obtuse" fits you perfectly, 15:30:52 09/17/16 Sat [1]

Please explain what you mean by "The antagonism of young journalists by people on this board." The phrase makes no sense. Are you talking of "antagonism toward young journalists?" "antagonism about young journalists?" or "antagonism against young journalists?"

Anyone who cannot write a simple sentence with more clarity than that ought to be working for, let's see, oh, I know! The Incline or UpGruv!

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: The Incline launches: Pittsburgh’s newest news site is live -- They just can't hide it, 07:18:04 09/19/16 Mon [1]

If Jim's excited, Ryan's excited and Angela's excited, there must be something really exciting going on!

The Incline adds Ryan Croyle as VP, sales and events -
http://theincline.com/2016/09/14/the-incline-adds-ryan-croyle-as-vp-sales-and-events/

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: The Incline launches: Pittsburgh’s newest news site is live -- Suffer the little children, 23:55:47 09/19/16 Mon [1]

Let's see, AT&T, Calkins (owner of the Beaver County Times) and the PG. Not exactly a stunning pedigree. So they have Ryan and the have Lexi, who was no ball of fire in the newsroom.

But it doesn't take much to get these people excited! It's new! It's cool! It's hip!

And like Billy Penn and UpGruv, it's an experiment doomed to fail. Oh well, it will look hip on Lexi's and Ryan's resumes for their next job.

[ Edit | View ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.