VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 08:04:11 09/16/16 Fri
Author: Non-biz major guy
Subject: DK's business model ...

Does anyone have any insight into how DK's enterprise affords the size of its staff? Genuine question, no sarcasm. Thanks.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: DK's business model ... -- The Cheap Seats, 06:02:58 09/17/16 Sat [1]

I have wondered this myself.

For those in the business, can anyone give an educated opinion on the kind of salary that DK, Yohe, and soon to be Kaboly left behind at TTM?

Just curious if paycuts were taken to leave the Trib to work for DK?

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: DK's business model ... -- Andy K, 07:52:45 09/19/16 Mon [1]

Well, he has 29.7k subscribers....if they're all at $4/month, that's around $120k/month revenue plus advertising. Obv, some are 1 and 3 year deals, plus some military ones (which are free).

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: DK's business model ... -- Former DK subscriber, 15:51:07 09/20/16 Tue [1]

And don't forget his social media/staff SJW girl.

What I'd like to see are the retention numbers. I can't be the only one who bought in for a year and then let it expire. PS thanks DK for introducing me to this site!

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: DK's business model ... -- A Casual Observer, 10:51:16 09/19/16 Mon [1]

From things I've heard from a very knowledgeable source in the past...

1. There's the subscriptions of course, but notice how DK uses the "rolling number" to note his subscriber base (i.e. annualized). Not sure how that turns out to "real world" numbers. Maybe someone smarter than I can clarify that.

2. Segment sponsorships - companies sponsoring individual regular features. There's some surprisingly big names here - Citrix GoTo Meeting is a big player in the IT conferencing world - and some laughably bad ones, such as a dick spray.

3. Other sponsorships on the site - when he first started out, he had quite a few smaller sponsors that he charged anywhere from 1,500 to $3500 per month. (I grabbed one of his media kits before he took it private/by request only)

4. Here's a kick in the balls. DK is now DOUBLE DIPPING on his subscribers by initiating google ads all over the site as well. They are very obtrusive on the mobile site in particular. If I was a subscriber, I would be PISSED that I'm forced to look at ads by a subscription and major sponsor-backed site.

As for how he pays staff, I do know that the college trio is especially low-paid, based on somethign I'd gather. Gajtka is in the middle of hte pack, and of course Yohe and now Kaboly are going to be the highest paid people on staff.

It's truly a wonder how he's affording all of these....plus an editor, plus a full time photographer, plus an extra dude for Xs and Os on Steelers, and a separate beat guy for the Steelers to "add depth" behind Kaboly.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: DK's business model ... -- See-Eee-Oh, 16:14:55 09/20/16 Tue [1]

You start with the hottest guy in sports media, someone is at home online, on radio and on TV. The sports authority. Throw in a big dash of megalomania. Then create a persona of a Starbucks-fueled 24/7 everyman who loves nothing more than interacting with his readers, as long as they smooch his butt. Then hire his wife for a key role in the organization.

Then hire the old McKeesport Daily News sports staff (Yohe and Kaboly). Maybe he can coax Norm Vargo out of retirement to write columns.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: DK's business model ... -- Morkle, 17:40:02 09/20/16 Tue [1]

So basically DK Pittsburgh Sports should be shutting down anytime now, right?

"...I can't be the only one who bought in for a year and then let it expire.."

His numbers keep going up so probably not many.
However I know of one crazy guy that cancelled because he disagreed with DK about the Lovejoy trade...can you imagine?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: DK's business model ... -- Jumping Joe, 06:53:35 09/22/16 Thu [1]

Seth and Benz aren't getting guaranteed pay from what I understand. They get to shop their work to sponsors and anything they sell they get a cut of. That certainly helps the DK bank account getting the content without any guarantee to pay then say 50k.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: DK's business model ... -- Slasher, 02:02:41 09/22/16 Thu [1]

There are rumors that displaced P-G hockey blogger Seth Rorabaugh is going to join the DK Empire.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: DK's business model ... -- Confirmation, 03:31:21 09/22/16 Thu [1]

No rumor. They announced yesterday he had joined DK.

[ Edit | View ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.