VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 18:39:05 09/19/16 Mon
Author: Wonderlic
Subject: Re: Trib newsroom or morgue?
In reply to: All Politics Is Global 's message, "Re: Trib newsroom or morgue?" on 15:35:39 09/19/16 Mon

I suppose I do not know how you are "thinking." Here's what I know: You appear to take some type of pride in failing to read local news, which means you don't even grasp the effect your local Democrat/Republican/whichever politicians are having on your day-to-day, or your neighbor's day-to-day and yet you plan to vote. You're that guy/girl who flies up the outer lane on 51 without realizing there's (still) construction and you screw up traffic for everyone else by trying to cut in. So yay for you not reading local newspapers. I'm not saying the Trib or PG are great papers, but once these papers, and others like it nationwide are gone, you'll find the NYT somewhat lacking on account of that their material has suddenly dried up.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> [> [> [> [> [> Re: Trib newsroom or morgue? -- All Politics Is Global (épater le bourgeois), 13:19:00 09/20/16 Tue [1]

You know nothing about me, and your presumptions are wide of the mark, but I hold nothing against you. I am sixty-one years old, I drive at (or slightly but reasonably below) the speed limit, I avoid highways because of enough nutso Pittsburgh motorists (if this metro area had decent public transportation, I’d never drive at all), and I find the local papers grossly unreadable (the prose is semiliterate at best) and obscenely overpriced (the news hole is shrinking to the circumference of a pinhole). The local dailies are moribund, and their demise will be unworthy of mourning. There's no pride in my saying any of this; I'm just a realist. Pittsburgh has the politicians it deserves. I’m not a Pittsburgher; I just live here, but I love it—the place, that is, meaning the architecture, especially, and the vivid neighborhoods—in a detached sort of way. I vote for national candidates only. A vote for Trump is a Dadaist gesture.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Re: Trib newsroom or morgue? -- Wonderlic, 15:45:23 09/20/16 Tue [1]

Voting for national candidates only with little regard for your state and city politicians is ignorant. That is a fact. I am also a realist.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Re: Trib newsroom or morgue? -- All Politics Is Globus Hystericus (Glee), 05:11:41 09/21/16 Wed [1]

Oh, my goodness. Please review the distinction between "opinion" and "fact." You might also want to review Keats's pronouncement that “poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world.” (Having "little regard" for politicians is a stance arrived at through hard experience.) You also want to acknowledge that you are using the adjective "ignorant" in the fuzzy sense peculiar to western Pennsylvanians. A trip to a Merriam-Webster or Webster's New World dictionary will disabuse you of your, um, ignorance.

[ Edit | View ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.