VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 00:54:28 09/26/16 Mon
Author: Pennysaver
Subject: Value

I found it ironic that Brian O'Neill devoted a recent column complaining about a 67 cent rise in the price of his Pirates tickets. He was upset that they're charging more for a lesser product.

Is he aware that the watered down Post-Gazette raised its single copy price to $2 this year?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: Value -- Wholesale, 05:21:39 09/26/16 Mon [1]

Certain better known PG'ers like Brian tend to live in a parallel universe where their personal concerns matter and don't see, or don't want to see, how their product is viewed by the great unwashed. Fella there by the name of Shribman functions the same way.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Value -- Ron Pogazette, 22:21:32 09/26/16 Mon [1]

But wait, there's more!

Don't forget about upcharges for exclusive, unwanted magazines and for special holiday issues like Thanksgiving that you thought were just part of the calendar year you paid for.

And downcharges for exclusive holidays where you don't get a paper at your door?

NOW what would you pay?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Value -- Tom (The Original Tom), 06:16:58 09/27/16 Tue [1]

I subscribe and I can't think of the exclusive holiday where I don't get a paper.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: Value -- Biff, 00:55:45 09/28/16 Wed [1]

You got a paper on Labor Day? They must have printed and delivered one just for you.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> Re: Value -- Tom (The Original Tom), 07:10:24 09/28/16 Wed [1]

I stand corrected! My wife told me we didn't get a paper on Labor Day. I also found out that the PG will no longer credit your account when you stop delivery for vacations...A money grab..pure and simple...You will pay for papers that you will not get..Oh...You CAN get them,,They will hold and then deliver a weeks woth..or two weeks worth... You can come home from vacation and read two weeks of stale news.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Value -- Ron Pogazette, 21:54:21 09/27/16 Tue [1]

i believe it was Memorial Day and 4th of July so far this year that were online-only.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Value -- Tom (The Original Tom), 07:50:55 09/26/16 Mon [1]

According to my math, it's 89 an issue, not $2.00.

DAILY
+ DIGITAL ACCESS

7-Day home delivery
Unrestricted access to post-gazette.com
PG Reader app
PGe, the daily e-edition
The SteelersNation app
Ability to comment online
Access to over 400 discounts, learn more
*Washington Post
$6.25 / week Best Value!

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Value -- Bea Fair, 17:45:19 09/26/16 Mon [1]

O'Neill never impressed me much.

But to imply he has some control over what the Blocks want to charge for street sales of the paper is ridiculous. This is comparing apples and oranges. His employee discount for the paper brings it in way under even subscribers' rate, so he is not feeling any pinch out of that, assuming he gets it delivered at home. And ripping your employers in a column they publish for raising paper rates may be, uh, unwise, which is probably why he doesn't rip them.

If he wants to moan about prices for Pirates tickets going up after the Bucs fell off the table again this year, maybe he should re-evaluate how he spends his entertainment dollar.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Value -- Gala, 00:58:36 09/28/16 Wed [1]

Who is implying O'Neill has anything do with the pricing of the paper?

The point is he's complaining the Pirates have raised prices and reduced the quality of the product. He's making that complaint in the pages of a newspaper which has done the exact same thing.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Value -- Sorry, Tom, 18:05:55 09/26/16 Mon [1]

Apples and oranges. We're talking strictly about the newsstand copies here, not the subscriptions.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Value -- Confused, 04:44:17 09/27/16 Tue [1]

I don't think the original poster meant subscriptions. I think they meant the copies you'd buy over the counter.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Value -- Set It and Forget It, 22:00:27 09/27/16 Tue [1]

So it's OK if the Pirates would raise the price for day-of tix at the box office as long as they don't touch season tix.

And it would be irrelevant if the PG would jack up single-copy prices while maintaining subscriber rates, minus forced fees for magazines and no-print delivery days.

Seems more like a lemons vs. lemons comparison to me.

[ Edit | View ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.