VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 14:13:30 09/28/16 Wed
Author: Frank Myers (What a crock)
Subject: Re: Trib Total Media to end Pittsburgh print edition, lay off 106
In reply to: Tom (The Original Tom) 's message, "Trib Total Media to end Pittsburgh print edition, lay off 106" on 09:50:09 09/28/16 Wed

What a huge crock of crap this story is. The irony is incredible.

Massive loses by the Pittsburgh operation, has forced the company back to its roots in Greensburg and Tarentum, to "re-emphasize local news in its key markets".

For more than 20 years, these "key markets" were not "key" -- they were ignored. PTR drained the profits, raided the news staffs, and forced other staff cutbacks to free up money for PTR operations In short. they cannibalized two once respected, profitable, well-run suburban newspapers. And they did it with Impunity.

I know. I was there., When I retired in Greensburg in 2006, I was the 24th newsroom staffer to leave in 10 years without being replaced.

Now. lo and behold, we're returning to 1996.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> [> Re: Trib Total Media to end Pittsburgh print edition, lay off 106 -- Down 4D Count, 17:33:05 09/28/16 Wed [1]

Jennifer Bertetto couldn't publish a college newspaper. I bet she's got feelers out for another job now that Dick's plaything is all but finished.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Trib Total Media to end Pittsburgh print edition, lay off 106 -- Hoppy, 05:30:45 09/29/16 Thu [1]

I don't know if all the blame should be heaped upon Bertetto. She wasn't really dealt a winning hand.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Trib Total Media to end Pittsburgh print edition, lay off 106 -- Hop 'n Brew, 13:35:40 09/29/16 Thu [1]

No, Scaife left behind a giant pile of manure in the barn, but she certainly hasn't handled it well. She may mean well but she was out of her depth with something like this.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: Trib Total Media to end Pittsburgh print edition, lay off 106 -- sourgrapes, 05:55:46 09/30/16 Fri [1]

She's handled it very well. Outside of what the greedy kids are trying to grab, Scaife left behind a pile of money that remains. Enough to support a real business. One that does not support a bloated staff, outrageous spending, and pouring money into efforts that are futile. She has cut costs, cleaned house and focused efforts on where the industry is headed. It's like any other business today. Adapt to changes. Cut the fat and survive.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> Re: Trib Total Media to end Pittsburgh print edition, lay off 106 -- Sweet Wine, 17:21:22 10/01/16 Sat [1]

Wait a minute. Isn't the "pile of money that remains" an issue in the lawsuit filed by Jennie and David Scaife?

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/east/2015/06/10/Scaife-heirs-file-objections-to-trust-fund-expenditures/stories/201506100243

Jennifer has done little more than scrubbed the decks and re-arranged the chairs on the Titanic with the iceberg dead ahead. It's a sad time for local journalism but it's amusing to see die-hard Trib partisans remaining in denial. The spirit of "Baghdad Bob" lives!

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: Trib Total Media to end Pittsburgh print edition, lay off 106 -- Whiskey Sour, 11:31:11 09/30/16 Fri [1]

It appears the options available were either "bad" or "worse". I'm not sure what could have been done differently considering the Trib's outrageous losses. 455 jobs in our industry is far better than none.

[ Edit | View ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.