VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 11:10:49 11/05/16 Sat
Author: Don
Subject: Re: New, "improved" Greensburg Trib?
In reply to: Copy Desk 's message, "New, "improved" Greensburg Trib?" on 02:34:02 11/05/16 Sat

Not the most dynamic lead ever, but not egregiously bad, either. Citing this is a pretty good indication you were ready to hate whatever they did.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> [> Re: New, "improved" Greensburg Trib? -- Padge N. Ation, 15:50:29 11/05/16 Sat [1]

It wasn't awful but I don't think it was very clever, either. I learned long ago not to expect anything from Sue McFarland's Trib but shallowness, mediocrity and puff pieces.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: New, "improved" Greensburg Trib? -- Coffee desk, 20:34:23 11/05/16 Sat [1]

Is this news?

It reads like a Republican or Trump campaign handout.

"Westmoreland County, once a Democrat stronghold, has been trending more Republican for years." (You got any figures on that, Ace?)

The GOP consistently is so disrespectful, it won't even give the Democratic party its name. No, it is not the Democrat party. Presumably they are saying democratic is a good word and the Democratic party is not worthy of it.

But if this guy is supposed to be a news reporter, and he uses the term "a Democrat stronghold," he needs to work on his objectivity. Maybe he is getting no direction in that direction, or is he being told specifically to call it the Democrat party, making it inaccurate?

And in the lede, the Trump prop is not 14 feet high, it is 14 feet tall. I guess the writer and the copy desk too, if the place has one, missed that.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: New, "improved" Greensburg Trib? -- One Down, 06:11:32 11/06/16 Sun [1]

It's true Westmoreland has been moving GOP but the Dems still have an edge. That said, the Trib likes to believe they and their deceased Dear Leader, Scaife, made that change happen. They didn't.

http://triblive.com/news/westmoreland/11227997-74/county-registration-republicans

As for reporter Zwick, he no doubt is trying to hold to the right wing bias that continues to be apparent in the Scaife-less Trib, led by Clueless Bertetto. He probably figures if he slants his stories to the right he'll get brownie points and maybe some day become as famous a biased reporter as recently-departed Salena Zito.

Even in the depressed market for reporters, if Zwick was any good, he wouldn't be working here. So far as his awful writing, by Trib standards, that's considered quite good. The editors don't care. They never did.

Of course despite the bias, the Trib also didn't endorse Trump.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: New, "improved" Greensburg Trib? -- Two 2 Go, 11:54:49 01/25/17 Wed [1]

The Trib leans right? They employee reporters that lean right? Seems like a Republican paper. Zwick cant be any good because he works there. You read the story. "Clueless Bertetto" must be doing something right. Again, you read the story and felt the need to comment. That is the point of a free press. To get the people to discuss the issues facing them. I doubt you have ever initiated that reaction with your work.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> Re: New, "improved" Greensburg Trib? -- One Down, 04:33:38 01/26/17 Thu [1]

Biased journalism was unacceptable in Scaife's time and it's still unacceptable. Keep the opinion on the Opinion page. As for the rest of your comments, pride in mediocrity doesn't elevate it from being mundane and subpar. If this is the basis Jenny's defenders are using to state her case, it's no basis at all. It's nothing. But over the years, we've come to expect nothing from Trib Total Media. No reason to assume that will ever change.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> Re: New, "improved" Greensburg Trib? -- Two 2 Go, 09:11:27 01/26/17 Thu [1]

All journalism is biased. Even if you think your are reading an unbiased article it is still subjected to the authors POV. I accept that when I read the Trib, it leans right. The same as watching FoxNews. I also expect the PG and CNN to lean left. That is why I watch/read both. To see the difference in opinion and figure the truth is somewhere in the middle. I am thankful to have two papers in a smaller market. I also happen to think that management at both publications is doing everything possible so they can to survive. I think this is a good thing. It keeps people employed and gives the consumer multiple channels. Does quality suffer when cutting cost? Yes. The alternative is for both papers to fold. Put 1,500 - 2,000 out of work. Listen to everyone complain about how there is no source of local news. I prefer a reduction over a closure.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Re: New, "improved" Greensburg Trib? -- Poxon Both, 22:36:35 01/26/17 Thu [1]

I have a surprise for you: both of them could close in spite of your reflexive cheerleading. The PG doesn't lean THAT far left. The fact both Block twins are Trump-friendly is no secret, though the PG endorsed no presidential candidate.

http://www.pghcitypaper.com/Blogh/archives/2016/09/22/pittsburgh-post-gazette-publisher-hangs-on-donald-trumps-jet-in-a-more-than-memorable-experience

The PG has no decent conservative columnists. Ruth Ann Dailey is little more than a dull, faith-based rightie with no real insight. Trib editorial editor Bob Pellegrino is a by-the-numbers conservative nearly as dull as Ruth Ann.

The Trib in Greensburg and Tarentum is still a paper, even though it's shrunken to virtually nothing. Pittsburgh is a website, and not a very good one. At the top, Jennifer Bertetto is a bureaucrat with no real knowledge of journalism. If she has standards, her recent promotions sure don't reflect them. At TTM, mediocrity rules. No props to the PG, on a steady downhill decline for years with many of their best staffers leaving and the editors indifferent to readers and anything that doesn't involve saving their own jobs. Does anybody think David Shribman cares about this region, or anything except his dull Sunday column?

Both PG and Trib have gotten leaner and meaner to the point they aren't worth subscribing to or buying over the counter. Feel free to cheer the continued existence of two lousy papers, but I won't be joining in the hurrahs.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Hard-hitting Greensburg reporting -- Don Makewaves, 12:42:17 01/30/17 Mon [1]

http://triblive.com/local/westmoreland/11849408-74/bridge-art-greensburg

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: New, "improved" Greensburg Trib? -- The Awful Facts, 22:53:04 11/06/16 Sun [1]

Republicans moving from 1:3 to nearly 1:1 in only 20 years and now holding all but one county row office supports "trending more Republican," even if it wasn't spelled out in the story.

No bias necessary.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: New, "improved" Greensburg Trib? -- The Awful Reality, 12:12:53 11/07/16 Mon [1]

Yeah, that shift is valid. But the theory around Trib World was the Greensburg Trib's right wing editorial page helped to cause this change. It didn't. Fox News played a way bigger role, as did Rush and Glenn Beck. County Democrats ran out of gas when the party was taken over about 20 years ago by a bunch of liberal yuppies who cared more about their clique than the party as a whole. The old guard county Dems they replaced always looked out for themselves but also tried to keep the party strong. This new group of Democrats fluffed off a lot of the older activists at about the time the GOP started to surge. Some of those older Dems switched parties. The yuppie faction also blames the Trib for the shift; that way they don't have to blame themselves. End of story.

[ Edit | View ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.